Second Verse Problem

kshelt76

• Members

Hey all,

I seem to be having a real problem with my songwriting. I have a handful of songs that I've been working on. Some of them are catchy, some cheesy, some very serious, and so on. For most of them, I like the progressions and melody. I feel that the first verse always has a really strong pull in, followed by a strong emotional chorus. The low point comes when I hit that second verse. I can never seem to think up any good lyrics or images for that second verse. Does anyone else have this problem? How do you get past it? Thanks!

• Members

I have that problem sometimes, too. I've done a few things to get around it.

One is, if the song already pretty much says what you want it to say and you already have a pretty long verse is to cut the verse in half and turn it into two separate verses. Of course this just depends on the story that you're trying to tell and splitting up the verse may disrupt that. But sometimes unveiling the storyline over time is a cool effect. Another thing you can do is to repeat the verse - I've only done it once and I think it only worked because the verses were significantly different dynamically. If not for that I think it would just seem like I ran out of lyrical ideas (which I did, but the listener doesn't have to know that!)

If you want the song to say a little bit more you can always take some of the key phrases of the first verse and tweak to expand on the story. An example using one of my songs:

verse 1:

Something tells me I shouldn't believe a single word you say,

but loneliness and alcohol; my judgement ain't the same,

No it ain't the same, no it ain't the same.

verse 2:

Something tells me you don't believe a single word I say,

well it gets harder to sweep you off your feet every day,

but if I don't, you will find a man who will.

verse 3:

Something tells me I might never see you again,

maybe that was an argument I should've let you win

But I've my pride, and you've your pride.

By tweaking the first line a little bit I was able to expand on the sentiment of the first verse and make a more compelling and complete vision of that particular relationship.

Now if someone could help me write a really great chorus that would be a big help!

• Members

In addition to the excellent suggestions above, sometimes in your situation, when I have a sense that the first verse is the 'money' verse, I'll restructure the song to move it more to the punchline position and create a set up verse in the beginning.

Sometimes I'll write what I think is a first verse and then end up rewriting things so that it's a chorus, because it's clearly the power point of the song.

• Members

Or go old-style. Like Del Shannon's hit Runaway. First verse just repeats. Good stuff. Lots of my favorite, old Nirvana songs had real simple, kick-ass lyrics. I'm a Negative Creep and I'm Stoned!!!!! Or maybe those guys were just being lazy. Either way, they show you don't don't need lots of lyrics to rock it like Mount Rushmore.

• Members

A number of good, and varied, suggestions here.

Often I find myself in a position like Blue outlined;

The first verse that I write contains the core meaning of the song.

I write another verse (or 2) to introduce the song and lead into the "core" verse

The original "core" verse becomes the second verse, or the chorus.

Like Stack & Lucas, I also have no qualms about re-using part (or even all) of an early verse in a later verse, or changing the structure of the verses to help the flow.

Keep experimenting!

• Members

Use your first verse as the second verse and set it up with a new first verse.

Also, work in opposites. I always get another verse out of changing the words to a verse to reflect an opposite. Example would be if something takes place in the day, write a verse about something happening at night. Light/dark, friend/enemy, etc.

Or, restate the verse you have using different words that mean the same thing.

Or, Take 2 lines from your first verse, and just write 2 new lines for a slight variation. That way, the better part of the first verse will be restated (repetition, which is good in songs), yet have something new also.

Make the 2nd verse half the duration of the first. Two lines can be easier to write than four. It also keeps the song from wearing out it's welcome.

Give the 2nd verse the same rhyme sound. That way, the 2nd verse will still sound familiar and fit the composition's continuity and make it easier to sing.

Archived