Amp damage question

Delta0311

• Members

Ok I had a buddy buy a Mesa Roadster had it for a week and spilled a cola beverage on it and it got into the chasey-- he shut the amp down and is too embaraced to call Mesa and tell him what happened.

The amp has been in the same location unplugged now for about 2-3 months and he wont touch it-- shouldnt the amp be fine after the liquid dries up other than leaving a sticky mess? cant you clean that out yourself or do you think the damn thing is shot to hell??

• Members

It is potentially fine. The liquid could have shorted things, and taken components out as collateral damage, but it could just as easily not have.

I'd clean it before powering it up.

I'd learn to discharge filter caps before pulling the chassis. Yes, it's been off for months....there's no substitute for safety.

Actually, what I'd do is offer him a pathetic lowball offer on a potentially fried amp. (then learn to properly discharge filter caps) Then fix it yourself and RAWK!!!!!

• Members

Actually, what I'd do is offer him a pathetic lowball offer on a potentially fried amp. (then learn to properly discharge filter caps) Then fix it yourself and RAWK!!!!!

Thats what I was thinking about doing- I already bought the 4x12 off of him and looking to steal the Roadster from him too--

His claim and I agree is that amps are the worlds best beer holders-- you can put damn near a case on there-- but if something goes south your screwed-

as far as the disharge of filter caps-- I have no clue what that is-- but I may begin my research!

• Members

i'll fix it for him/you.:thu:

if it were just water that was spilled, then it would be OK as long as nothing fried before he switched it off. since it was soda, there's syrup and sticky {censored} that gets left behind even when it dries. that dried sticky {censored} can provide a path to ground for high voltages.

• Members

I wonder how many six-packs worth of beer have found their way in to my Fender without so much as a whimper. I'm probably just really lucky.

I've forgotten about beers on top of my Sovtek a couple of times, but they just rattle off, fall to the floor and break. Tragic all the same, but less overall damage.

• Members

I wasn't giving him advice. I was simply remembering how many times similar things have happened to me.

I'd at least take the chassis out and have a look around (carefully). I'm pretty sure techs have seen much worse than a Coke spill, so I wouldn't be embarrassed at all, personally. Certainly less so than I would be dropping another grand (or whatever) on a new one.

• Members

Capacitors store electricity like a battery, but they discharge pretty instantly if you short them to ground...like by touching them and the chassis. In that case, you become the path to ground and the caps dischrge through you. Filter caps are the big capacitors in your amp. They smooth out the AC current allowing DC to pass through...they "filter" the power. They have lethal voltages.

Even with the amp off and unplugged, the filter caps can hold their charge for quite some time. Once discharged, they can even recharge themselves (though I'm shaky on how or what conditions lead to this).

Discharging them can be as simple as touching a big old screwdriver to the lead of one of the caps and also the chassis. THIS IS A BAD IDEA!!! There will be a startling pop, a bit of a flash, and potentially little bits of metal flying through the air (bits of the chassis, and/or bits of the screwdriver). A safer method can be found here:

http://studentweb.eku.edu/justin_holton/caps_p.html

edit:

If anything is unclear, STOP!!! Clarify, then proceed. High voltage should never be "chanced".

• Members

Shamuspizzbutt- I appreciate y our knowledge I see there really no easy or cheap way around it-- as I agree about the safety part of this process or the fear of forever ruining the amp-- I'll send off to Mesa to be safe- and if it was just water I'd probably brave the repair - since its not-- in a box it goes!

• Members

I stopped using my amp as a beer holder after our bassist bought an Ampeg with an 8x10 cab. We set up on a weak ass stage once as soon as he started drum cymbal stands fell over and my beer spilled onto the amp I had. Bassist thinks he's a member of SUNN O

• Members

Shamuspizzbutt- I appreciate y our knowledge I see there really no easy or cheap way around it-- as I agree about the safety part of this process or the fear of forever ruining the amp-- I'll send off to Mesa to be safe- and if it was just water I'd probably brave the repair - since its not-- in a box it goes!

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!

I have to stress safety!! I can't have and dead guitarists on my head. Still, discharging the caps is cheap and EZ. Once that's done it's safe to work on. I wouldn't go using your wang as a probe, but you can get in there safely once the filter caps are discharged. For maximum safety, keep one hand in your pocket and wear rubber soled shoes.

Clean out the chassis with a soft rag. Use a soft moist rag if needed. Let it dry completely, and give it a try. You're only down a dollar or two for the resistor, and you may save $$ on shipping and save the amp.

There very well could be no damage inside. You just have to be carefull. If you power it up and anything sounds or looks wrong, kill the power immediately and call Mesa. I'd just hate to see you out the $$ to ship it if there's no promlem or if it's an easy fix.

On the other hand, I'm breaking my own rules by trying to talk you into it. If you're not comfortable, you shouldn't be in there. Either way, keep us posted.

• Members

well my bud bit for it-- if I can get it to work or fixed we'll talk price then minus the cost for repair -- I've known him for years and besides i know where he sleeps-- haha

so I am gonna take a plung and learn something here- I'll venture on the discharging of caps-- and I may come back and ask some really dumb ass questions about that--

Archived