RedBear MK60 and Laney AOR Pro Tube 50 MV Question(s)

vidnotlaw

• Members

I have just recently, over past couple of months, acquired a couple of 'older' amps, one of them being a RedBear MK60 and the other a Laney Pro Tube 50 MV (6 knob version series I).

I have a couple of concerns with both amps.

I'll start with the RedBear MK60 first:

I was hoping that anybody with a RedBear MK60 could help out. The amp currently has Mesa 6L6GC tubes in it and I just biased the amp. The plate voltage was right about 465V, so I biased it just a little under 70%... right around 40ma. 30/465 * .7 = 45.2ma, but I did not want to go that hot.

The volume does not seem to 'increase' properly, IMHO? Let me describe: After right about 3-4 on the volume it starts sounding good/okay.... right around 4.5 to 5 it starts to shine.... but from 5 to about 8 it just sounds like it gets 'girthier' and not much else... then around 8.5 to 10 it starts to add a little more high end sparkle not a whole lot though. After 5, the bass is so powerful that I almost set it as low as it will go and the volume never really increases so to speak... hard to describe... it just gets heavier if you will! Does this sound right? I was wondering if other RedBear users experience this as well? Do most users have the bass set REALLY low because of this as well? This things is hard on cabinets with it's low end!!!!

Next the Laney Pro Tube 50 MV...

I just opened her up and noticed that the bias trim pot is broken! I need to find the part number or at least get a replacement for it. Also, I looked at some gut shots of the circuit board on line but the pictures are for the Laney Pro Tube 50 MV 8 Knob version. The circuit board for the 8 knob version has more components than mine. I was hoping this is correct and that mine was not 'raped' of some parts! I was hoping that somebody with a 6 knob version could post a picture of the circuit board? The pictures need to be specifically for a Laney Pro Tube 50 MV 6 Knob version Series I (you will no it's a series I, because a series II has series II written on it and series I does not have anything written on it). I will post pics of mine tomorrow (camera needs to charge).

Thanks for your time and sorry for the long post.

Take care,

Vid

• Members
The volume does not seem to 'increase' properly, IMHO? Let me describe: After right about 3-4 on the volume it starts sounding good/okay.... right around 4.5 to 5 it starts to shine.... but from 5 to about 8 it just sounds like it gets 'girthier' and not much else... then around 8.5 to 10 it starts to add a little more high end sparkle not a whole lot though.

That doesn't sound "wrong", necessarily. Not every amp is going to have a perfectly linear taper to the volume. I was just talking to a buddy of mine about his vintage Model T and he mentioned that it gets to its max volume somewhere around 4, then everything after that is just more saturation.

• Members

That doesn't sound "wrong", necessarily. Not every amp is going to have a perfectly linear taper to the volume. I was just talking to a buddy of mine about his vintage Model T and he mentioned that it gets to its max volume somewhere around 4, then everything after that is just more saturation.

Yeah; the Laney AOR 100 I had for a bit would sound kind of harsh and thin until about 2.5-3 on the volume, and then it would open up to the point of vibrating $hit around the room. And the Ultra Plus I had seemed to reach a max volume point before the volume was turned up completely.

• Members

I have a RedBear MK60....

What you're describing sounds about right....mine does something very similar. Like somebody else said, those volumes don't necessarily 'taper' like some amps. I wouldn't worry about it. As far as the lows, they're a very 'low' heavy amp. That said, mine LOVES my 1936 Marshall cab, which is fairly dark sounding. You just have to dial it it to compensate for the cab's inherent properties. There's nothing wrong with your amp.

As far as the Laney, I have a 30w ProTube, but mine's a series II, I believe, so I can't help you there.

Hold on to that RedBear. One of these days the word is going to get out (more than it already has) and those things are gonna skyrocket in price.

• Members

What you're describing sounds about right....mine does something very similar. Like somebody else said, those volumes don't necessarily 'taper' like some amps. I wouldn't worry about it. As far as the lows, they're a very 'low' heavy amp. That said, mine LOVES my 1936 Marshall cab, which is fairly dark sounding. You just have to dial it it to compensate for the cab's inherent properties. There's nothing wrong with your amp.

As far as the Laney, I have a 30w ProTube, but mine's a series II, I believe, so I can't help you there.

Hold on to that RedBear. One of these days the word is going to get out (more than it already has) and those things are gonna skyrocket in price.

i had a change to buy a MK120 on the cheap, and i didn't. they're increidble amps and i've been looking to buy one ever since.

• Members

Thanks for the post, I really appreciate it! :thu: I don't plan on getting rid of this amp any time soon... I just wanted to make sure that what I was experiencing was okay for this amp. I want to start up a stoner/doom/drone band this year, and this WILL be the amp I use. When I plug in my guitar that is tuned to C, and put a tiny bit of overdrive with my MI Audio Blues Boy... it sounds KILLER! I love it! STONER DOOM HEAVEN!!!

Thanks to all for your replies!

Enjoy,

Vid

• Members

The volume does not seem to 'increase' properly, IMHO? Let me describe: After right about 3-4 on the volume it starts sounding good/okay.... right around 4.5 to 5 it starts to shine.... but from 5 to about 8 it just sounds like it gets 'girthier' and not much else... then around 8.5 to 10 it starts to add a little more high end sparkle not a whole lot though.

That's what happens when you make the tubes in your amp into your bitches.

And that is also why we all love tube amps.

• Members

Mine has ~120V power plug. So I do not need a step down transformer. I am not sure about others. I would say that a RedBear has more gain than a JCM800, but it is not enough for 'modern' metal, Death Metal or anything extreme. You can get some good distortion from it and it sounds great when you add an overdrive to it. You can probably do Thrash Metal with it, but I would use an Overdrive to smooth it out and manage the low end on this amp!

The gain on a RedBear is very distinct as well, I really can't explain... it is more 'grainy/raspy' maybe!!??!! :confused: Not a smooth type of gain. This amp is great for Stoner/Doom Metal!!! :thu: It also has MASSIVE low end!!! Sometimes the low end is way to over powering... have to control the bottom end on this baby!! :thu:

Take care,

Vid

• Members

Next the Laney Pro Tube 50 MV...

I just opened her up and noticed that the bias trim pot is broken! I need to find the part number or at least get a replacement for it. Also, I looked at some gut shots of the circuit board on line but the pictures are for the Laney Pro Tube 50 MV 8 Knob version. The circuit board for the 8 knob version has more components than mine. I was hoping this is correct and that mine was not 'raped' of some parts! I was hoping that somebody with a 6 knob version could post a picture of the circuit board? The pictures need to be specifically for a Laney Pro Tube 50 MV 6 Knob version Series I (you will no it's a series I, because a series II has series II written on it and series I does not have anything written on it). I will post pics of mine tomorrow (camera needs to charge).

Thanks for your time and sorry for the long post.

Take care,

Vid

On the Laney:

The output stage is the same cookie cutter circuit use in most British amps. IIRC the bias pot is listed as a 22K trimmer pot. You can use a 25K. On my AOR Series 2, I yanked out the trimmer and put a 25K Allen Bradley locking pot on the back panel so it's less hassle to get at.....

• Members

On the Laney:

The output stage is the same cookie cutter circuit use in most British amps. IIRC the bias pot is listed as a 22K trimmer pot. You can use a 25K. On my AOR Series 2, I yanked out the trimmer and put a 25K Allen Bradley locking pot on the back panel so it's less hassle to get at.....

A couple of days agao, I ordered this for my Laney: 22K Pot, But I may just end up using your idea! Hopefully there is nothing else wrong with the amp!

Take care,

Vid

• Members

If you don't mind, could you post a circuit board picture of your amp? I am not really sure how much difference there is between a series I and a series II.

Thanks,

Vid

These are the best I can do right now. I took these before I took the amp in to the shop, so if you need some better close-ups, it will be a couple of weeks.

protubeguts01.jpg

protubeguts02.jpg

You say the Red Bear has a raspy type gain, and I'm wondering how similar it sounds to the Laney. My Laney sounds very raspy. I've never owned a Pro Tube before, so I'm not sure if they are supposed to sound like that. It's hard to find clips of these amps. So anyway, I took it to Glen Morris, and he said he'll do whatever needs doing to it to make it sound good. I trust him. :D

• Members

As I expected... the series II looks different on the inside. Here are picks of mine.

The main board:

LaneyBoard1.jpg

Not sure if the areas I have circled are missing parts or not. I am thinking that the same board is used for the 100 watt and the 8 knob versions of the 100 and 50 watt (series I). If that is the case then that could explain the 'missing' parts.

The only other issue I see is the transformer. It is missing a nut and bolt to hold it together on one side. I think if I just get some new nuts and bolts for it, it should be fine.

LaneyTransformer1.jpg

LaneyTransformer2.jpg

LaneyTransformer3.jpg

LaneyTransformer4.jpg

Once I get the new trim pot in, I'll bias it and see how she sounds!

Take care,

Vid

Archived