Egnater/Rocktron TOL50 amps?

rog951

• Members

I'm eyeing one up for my classic rock project's practice space. Any good? Appropriate for endless Mustang Sally jams? Don't need massive gain here, just a good clean, a nice crunch and the occasional boost for soloing. What should I expect to pay? Thanks!

:wave:

• Members

I'm eyeing one up for my classic rock project's practice space. Any good? Appropriate for endless Mustang Sally jams? Don't need massive gain here, just a good clean, a nice crunch and the occasional boost for soloing. What should I expect to pay? Thanks!

:wave:

I bought one last year for $550 shipped, I think.....

I'd pretty much say anything but BREWTAL is possible with the TOL50. It goes from Fender Blackface clean to Thrash with a boost.

The clean channel is very nice.....amazing. It has a voicing switch so you can toggle between a Blackface type clean and a "british" type clean. You can push this channel a little for a dirty clean....and if you crank the gain, you can get a nice crunch.

The dirt channel is very nice too......very smooth and on the darker side. Not as "in your face" as an old marshall....but definitely voiced like a marshall. This channel leaves off where the clean channel being pushed leaves off. It can go from that nice crunch to saturated high gain.

The coolest part: Each channel has an internal boost feature (footswitchable). This option works best with the dirt channel....since you can toggle between a lead and rhythm tone. It works on the clean channel too....but the boost dB jump is a bit jarring. The other nice thing is that you can set the amp to toggle the boost on/off globally or a single channel only. So you can set your clean, set your dirt....toggle between the channels and have a dirt channel boost....without effecting the clean channel.

Other cool features are the FX Loop can be used as a master volume......if you want. There's a global density, which can really fatten up the tone. If you open the hood there are 1Ohm resistors inside for quick and easy biasing.

Each channel has a bright switch too. Luckily this amp doesn't suffer from the dreaded "1 set of tone controls/two channel imbalance" I've never had trouble making both sound really good with the same settings.

Needless to say, I love mine.....I've been saying since I got it....."If I had to pick one amp.....the TOL50 would be it":love:

• Members

Sweet man! Thanks for all the info! :thu: Sounds almost perfect for what I want. That last statement is quite the endorsement.

Do you have the head or combo? I'm looking at a 2x12. Wondering how heavy it's going to be as my back isn't getting any better in my old age. I'm glad to see that the shared EQ might not be that big a problem, especially having suffered years of tweaking a MarkIII. Also wondering about speaker choices...what do you use? Thanks again man!

• Members

Sweet man! Thanks for all the info!
:thu:
Sounds almost perfect for what I want. That last statement is quite the endorsement.

Do you have the head or combo? I'm looking at a 2x12. Wondering how heavy it's going to be as my back isn't getting any better in my old age. I'm glad to see that the shared EQ might not be that big a problem, especially having suffered years of tweaking a MarkIII. Also wondering about speaker choices...what do you use? Thanks again man!

I will warn by saying the TOL50 style dirt isn't everyone's cup of tea....since it is a little darker and smooth.....it just fits my style very well.

1x12 combo and it's fairly heavy. I would imagine that a 2x12 combo will be VERY heavy. :( Big iron and 2 speakers. :freak:

I took out the stock eminence speaker and replaced it with an Eminence Wizard.......mostly because they have more of a mid-range bite, and brighter all around. (trying to un-smooth it a little :D)

• Members

I will warn by saying the TOL50 style dirt isn't everyone's cup of tea....since it is a little darker and smooth.....it just fits my style very well.

1x12 combo and it's fairly heavy. I would imagine that a 2x12 combo will be VERY heavy.
:(
Big iron and 2 speakers.
:freak:

I took out the stock eminence speaker and replaced it with an Eminence Wizard.......mostly because they have more of a mid-range bite, and brighter all around. (trying to un-smooth it a little
:D
)

Hmmm, maybe a pair of those Celestion Centuries with the neo magnets might lighten it up a bit. I guess the weight isn't that big a deal anyway, as I'm really just planning on leaving it at the rehearsal spot.

Apparently we're the only two on HCAF who've heard of this amp. Not brutal enough I guess. ;)

Archived