Marshall Slash sig head / Explorer - scooped!

grumphh

• Members
damn, great playing man !

cool tone, I used to have one of those heads and sold it
:evil:

Merci :D

And selling this amp is not an option for me - this is my personal holy grail amp.
Fairly versatile, good sounding even at bedroom volume - and i don't need extreme amounts of gain.

Happy camper here :)

• Members
dang awesome playing grumphh that amps sounds absolutely amazing:love:

what mic did you use to record that? it sounds great

Thx :)
That is an audix OM-2 placed appr. 2" from the centre of the speaker at a right angle to the grillcloth.

I think it helps that i go through an 80's Studiomaster mixer (into a 16 bit dedicated harddisk recorder).

• Members
Don't take this as a personal attack, overall tone is decent, almost sounds like a peavey more than a Marshall.

I don't have alot of expierence with Slash heads.

You asked, just being honest.
:cop:

Nope, absolutely fair comment :) - As long as it is criticism rather than just bashing/dissing i am fine with negative comments, and might actually learn something form them.

Only thing is i have never played a Peavey, so can't judge that.
I have heard some nice tones come out of a bandit though :eek: ...

• Members
Nope, absolutely fair comment
:)
- As long as it is criticism rather than just bashing/dissing i am fine with negative comments, and might actually learn something form them.

Only thing is i have never played a Peavey, so can't judge that.

I have heard some nice tones come out of a bandit though
:eek:

If it's any consolation, I'm probably guilty of running to much midZ in my rigs.

I use a SH-5 Duncan Custom in teH bridge of 3 or 4 of my "go to" axes which have an emphisis on midrange attack.

My modified 100 watt I "scooped the loop" w/a 15 band EQ in the loop and boost the "middle" knob in the tone stack for some cool rock tones.

Last thursday I got a 78' JMP 2203 100 watt, it has those classic in your face presence & midZ tones.

I had one 18 years ago in teH 80's, it's kinda the standard which I base Marshall tones from, but there is really nothing wrong with your tone at all.

The average person in the audience wouldn't notice a thing.

If you have that gibby 500T in your Explorer swapping that could effect how the amp sounds.:thu:

• Members
If it's any consolation, I'm probably guilty of running to much midZ in my rigs.

I use a SH-5 Duncan Custom in teH bridge of 3 or 4 of my "go to" axes which have an emphisis on midrange attack.

My modified 100 watt I "scooped the loop" w/a 15 band EQ in the loop and boost the "middle" knob in the tone stack for some cool rock tones.

Last thursday I got a 78' JMP 2203 100 watt, it has those classic in your face presence & midZ tones.

I had one 18 years ago in teH 80's, it's kinda the standard which I base Marshall tones from, but there is really nothing wrong with your tone at all.

The average person in the audience wouldn't notice a thing.

If you have that gibby 500T in your Explorer swapping that could effect how the amp sounds.
:thu:

Actually i haven't the slightest idea what pickups are in the Explorer :confused: - i like its sound, and thus never have bothered finding out. Fairly hot ones though.

As for mids - i am not that happy about them, but also know that they need to be there - so to me it is a matter of finding a balanced tone.
EQ's in the loop tend to sound artificial to me.

Live there would be no problems with this amp at all - remember, this is recorded at something like conversation levels, the speakers are barely working and there is no interaction between guitar and cab at all.
Something i think is a very important part of tone.

But the jubilees are definitely bright amps - they have this slightly abrasive (but not annoying) high end which i like a lot, because it still has body - something that i find the 900 series does not have.
JMP's tend to be darker - at least the ones i have heard.

• Members
Sounds a bit thin to me.

And I agree that it sounds more like a Peavey than a Marshall. Very Eddie Van Halen 5150-like, just the gain is tamed a bit (in a good way).

Well, it is scooped ;)
And yes, there is not too much gain in this amp, for me that is a good thing :)

And i am actually in the process of making a mix of the two guitar tracks dry - to get rid of the low end clutter, and present the tone properly. :)

• Members

It sounds like a scooped Slash head just like you said it is. I've heard your other clip with the mids in. It really is a great sounding Marshall. Very vocal amp when soloing...when not scooped.

Tasty playing my friend. You and me would have fun jamming. Great stuff!

• Members
It sounds like a scooped Slash head just like you said it is. I've heard your other clip with the mids in. It really is a great sounding Marshall. Very vocal amp when soloing...when not scooped.

Tasty playing my friend. You and me would have fun jamming. Great stuff!

Thx :)

• Members
That dry mix sounds great, and like you said, it bedroom volumes.

That amp is gonna really start talkin to ya between 2 & 4 on the Master volume.
:thu:

Actually there is way too much bass in that dry mix - from the amp, i might add.
That is probably also why the full mix sounded muddy (at least it did to me).

And yes, volume is the key to nice tone, but i live in an apartment - so no proper playing or recording here :(

• Members
There's a LOT of woof on that rhythm track...when you hit the mutes, it almost bottoms out my PC speakers...and I have pretty good PC speakers.

You are right :)
I just addressed that in another post. Crossposting...

But yes, the 2555 does have bass to spare...

Archived