A two-stage poweramp?

petejt

• Members

hm.

so in addition to a mega power supply and two output transformers, there's a hotplate in there? cuz you're just gonna burn up the low watt OT.

also, you need to keep in mind that there is no functional difference between a preamp tube and a power tube. they both amplify a signal...one just amplifies a lot more than the other. those 1W amps you see use 12AU7s as power tubes, IIRC.

basically what i'm saying here is that you've just reinvented the wheel. drive a tube into distortion, put an FX loop in, and then make it loud as balls.

• Members

hm.

so in addition to a mega power supply and two output transformers, there's a hotplate in there? cuz you're just gonna burn up the low watt OT.

also, you need to keep in mind that there is no functional difference between a preamp tube and a power tube. they both amplify a signal...one just amplifies a lot more than the other. those 1W amps you see use 12AU7s as power tubes, IIRC.

basically what i'm saying here is that you've just reinvented the wheel. drive a tube into distortion, put an FX loop in, and then make it loud as balls.

All I am saying is have two poweramps in one box, rather than two separate poweramps units. It's to save space & extra wiring.

• Members

Here, I'll reiterate Zachman's big fancy rig.

He has a bunch of pedals, in front of an amp head.

The amp head's load output, gets converted to a line level signal.

The line level signal drives his string of rack units in some weird mixing way.

The final output from all that, goes into his Mesa/Boogie 395 poweramp, or a VHT 2150, and then to two cabs.

Now, in his case, he uses heaps of different amp heads, because that's what he likes.

But if you just want one poweramp box, it will do the cranked poweramp crunch AND provide means to send that signal to whatever effects you choose AND re-amplify it to be heard through speakers.

• Members

not to irritate the OP cause im tryin to get my head around what your concept is. . . .

BUT i would dig a head that had say 4 6L6s switchable to 1 6V6 with a button on a foot switch or something.

then agian 100 watts is lame ass overkill anyways. course i have one. . . but i bought mine 5 years ago lmao

• Members

then build it.

i don't see much of a use/demand for it, and zachman has spent DAYS defending the excess that is his rig HERE, and we're all a bunch of gear whores.

i don't really see the benefit of having FX post power amp. really, the only way it is even reasonable to do is if the amp doesn't have a built in loop.

• Members

not to irritate the OP cause im tryin to get my head around what your concept is. . . .

BUT i would dig a head that had say 4 6L6s switchable to 1 6V6 with a button on a foot switch or something.

then agian 100 watts is lame ass overkill anyways. course i have one. . . but i bought mine 5 years ago lmao

That would be cool.

And yeah, the first poweramp has the one 6V6, and the second poweramp has the four 6L6's.

• Members

i don't really see the benefit of having FX post power amp. really, the only way it is even reasonable to do is if the amp doesn't have a built in loop.

Effects sound better after the poweramp, rather than between the preamp and poweramp. It isn't as harsh-sounding. And can make for some great textures.

• Members

The rig you're thinking of isn't so different from mine in signal path...

From guitar I go into a low-watt tube amp with a London Power power scaling mod, which allows the output stage to go into overdrive at around a fraction of a watt. The amount of power stage overdrive is adjusted for the required "hair". That output stage is still connected to a speaker (to get the right interaction.) However the voltage across the speaker is tapped off through a Red Box to get a cab-emulated line output. That output is then sent through the "wet" effects (delay etc) and into a clean SS amp.

Of course this is a bunch of separate boxes, although none of them are very big and heavy individually.

Since the speaker on the tube output stage is only there to provide a load (and possibly some local monitoring) it can be a small one - 6" or 8" - so I can imagine it all going into a box that's about the size of a Peavey Bandit combo.

Hmm.. that would be quite cool. For practice you leave the SS power stage turned off and play through what would be a low-watt tube combo with a line out for recording. Go the gig with your combo and plug a couple of 4x12's into the output of the SS section, turn it on and :rawk:

• Members

I could almost do that.

I could run my 5E3 into my Webber Mini-Mass, and run the line out into the FX return of my MK IV. I say almost because I don't trust my Mini-Mass. When you're turning it down, when you get down to two or so on the knob, it starts getting louder again. I think it's got a dodgy pot. I wouldn't trust it as a dummy load. I really only use it to knock the volume down a little though since as soon as you turn it down more than a little, the tone gets {censored}tay.

I'd have to think that with this config I'd be cleanly reamping a {censored}tay sound. I'm not sure that line level conversion is going to give you what you want. You'll have a line level signal allright, but you lose something in the conversion. The webber uses a speaker motor for attenuation, so it is a reactive load, and you still lose a lot with the attenuation.

Just my $0.02, and I've never actually tried plugging in this way.

Archived