Question about EL84's

aldridt1

• Members

Just got a pair of EL84's for my tiny terror. I have seen them online being sold as matched pairs, but the tech in my local shop said he did not sell them in matched pairs because the fact that they don't need to be biased means they don't need to be a matched pair.

Is this accurate??

• Members

There are two main types of biasing: fixed biasing and cathode biasing. Fixed biasing does not mean the bias is not adjustable, in fact, it usually means the opposite. Cathode biasing is usually fixed, and not adjustable, and fixed biasing is usually adjustable with a small trimmer potentiometer, or "trimpot".

http://www.aikenamps.com/WhatIsBiasing.htm

• Members

Anyone know for sure? I don't want to damage my new amp....

The power valves in the TT share a cathode bias resistor, which means you want a matched pair. Your tech either doesn't know what he's talking about or is more interested in making a quick buck than giving you accurate info. Plus, from what I've seen, the TT bias is very hot as it is, stock.

• Members

Sorry but you've commited one of the standard HCAF bull{censored}s/misunderstandings here. The Tiny Terror is cathode biased which is not the same as fixed bias. And fixed bias does not mean the bias is not adjustable!

well sure you can change the bias.... but its not like it's a pot you adjust in the amp.... I don't see any Tiny Terror users going through the hassle of crackin' open thier amp to change a bias resistor....so while technically it's not a fixed bias amp it's not really that easily adjustable either...

My advice is contact Eurotubes, I got some EL84s from them and it worked out great.

• Members
My advice is contact Eurotubes, I got some EL84s from them and it worked out great.

:lol:

i think the OP is asking about a pair of EL84's, not asking about what sort of JJ KT tube would run in conjunction with a JJ 6V6 "safely" in his TT.

:cop:

Archived