cheapest way to record to computer without amp? revalver?

dustin//

• Members

looking for the cheapest & simplest way to record riffs into a DAW, without having to mic up an amp? also would like to be able to just play through my computer...practice purposes.

i have no recording equipment other then a DAW and i have revalver, just never installed it.

what hardware do i need? i'd imagine some sort of interface to connect my guitar to my mic input on my computer or soundcard or something...maybe?

any input is appreciated.

• Members

Any of the software stuff like you mention (Revalver, Amplitube, Guitar Rig) or a Line 6 POD/toneport.

The only way to decide which is the best bang for the buck is for you to try them.
:)

perfect, just what i was looking for.

is the toneport really the only interface that cheap? just since it's line 6, i wonder if another lesser-named company makes one for cheaper that does the same?

if not, i think that's the piece for me. thanks!

• Members

Well I think the toneport is the only comparable thing like it really.

When you play through it the signal will go into the computer and out the computer speakers. That's how you hear what you are playing.
:p

i was just taking a look through the comments on musician's friend, and it seems like that might not be how it works?

maybe i should shoot him a pm...thanks again.

• Members

You need an audio interface. best is firewire imo. USb works ok but it depends on your PC specs what latency you get. If I was you, I'd start hunting down a decent firewire interface.

check out presonus, focusrite, maudio

i have a firepod, but am looking for a cheaper alternative for while on tour really.

• Members

i was just taking a look through the comments on
musician's friend
, and it seems like that might not be how it works?

maybe i should shoot him a pm...thanks again.

Well it looks like it gets into the computer via USB which at that point I can't see why you wouldn't be able to monitor through your speakers as well as that headphone jack on it. I don't know how else you would be able to use it. :lol:

• Members

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-ReValver-HP-Virtual-Amp-Modeling-Software-Regular-703195-i1388861.gc

The Revalver HP is what I'd been considering since it's only $69. If you have an overdrive, distortion, or some other pedal that's not true bypass you can just plug a guitar chord into one of those and then run it into your computer's soundcard. I've been trying the demo by going through my tubescreamer pedal into my soundcard (mine's an Emu-0404 PCI, but I think it'll work with whatever onboard card you have; just download asio4all drivers to get low latency so you'll hear notes as you play them instead of them lagging kind of far behind).

The one thing that's kind of a turnoff for me regarding the cheaper version of Revalver is the lack of being able to use other cab impulses. I'd like to find out if it works okay together with another cab impulse software like KeFir. Anyway, some of the cabs that come with the Mark III Revalver are pretty good; I don't know for sure what comes with the HP, though; if it's the better ones it seems like a bargain to me.

• Members

The Revalver HP is what I'd been considering since it's only $69. If you have an overdrive, distortion, or some other pedal that's not true bypass you can just plug a guitar chord into one of those and then run it into your computer's soundcard. I've been trying the demo by going through my tubescreamer pedal into my soundcard (mine's an Emu-0404 PCI, but I think it'll work with whatever onboard card you have; just download asio4all drivers to get low latency so you'll hear notes as you play them instead of them lagging kind of far behind).

The one thing that's kind of a turnoff for me regarding the cheaper version of Revalver is the lack of being able to use other cab impulses. I'd like to find out if it works okay together with another cab impulse software like KeFir. Anyway, some of the cabs that come with the Mark III Revalver are pretty good; I don't know for sure what comes with the HP, though; if it's the better ones it seems like a bargain to me.

that's pretty cool...didn't know you could use a pedal to do that. only problem is all my pedals are mounted in my rack drawer...just rather not have to mess with my other gear. might consider it though!

also, if on a laptop, is the input on my soundcard just the mic in? like right next to the headphone/speaker jack?

• Members

that's pretty cool...didn't know you could use a pedal to do that. only problem is all my pedals are mounted in my rack drawer...just rather not have to mess with my other gear. might consider it though!

also, if on a laptop, is the input on my soundcard just the mic in? like right next to the headphone/speaker jack?

I meant to put this up a lot sooner, but it took a bit to figure out how to get an mp3 from Reaper where I recorded this. It's just a quick take on going in plugged into a tubescreamer (and turned on :D) going into Revalver. It can definitely get fatter sounding, but I was trying more for this type of tone: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=575235&songID=7246779

• Members

I meant to put this up a lot sooner, but it took a bit to figure out how to get an mp3 from Reaper where I recorded this. It's just a quick take on going in plugged into a tubescreamer (and turned on
:D
) going into Revalver. It can definitely get fatter sounding, but I was trying more for this type of tone:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=575235&songID=7246779

sounds good.

do you HAVE to use the pedal? mesa pm'd me and it sounds like i should be able to just go straight into my soundcard (the mic in?). did you just like the tone better when using the pedal?

• Members

I don't think you have to use a pedal, but the input level will be pretty low without one. I personally like having the tubescreamer turned on with some of the settings. :D

Admittedly, the only amps I like so far, with or without using the tubescreamer, are the 6505's. I think the JSX clean might be good but need to try again when I have time.

Archived