Which condenser mic for recording guitars?

jeracuda

• Members

I'm looking for a decent, lower price, condenser mic for recording my guitar cab. I'm running throuch a Presonus Inspire (firewire) into a Macbook pro running both Garageband and Cubase. I have a redbox DI so I can go direct but I like the way a cab mic'd up sound. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

• Members

I'm looking for a decent, lower price, condenser mic for recording my guitar cab. I'm running throuch a Presonus Inspire (firewire) into a Macbook pro running both Garageband and Cubase. I have a redbox DI so I can go direct but I like the way a cab mic'd up sound. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

None.

Condensers aren't always the best with this. Although I have used them. Seems like a good dynamic mic works way better. When it comes to vocals stick with a condenser to get a good studio tone. When it comes to guitar don't go that route imo.

• Members

None.

Condensers aren't always the best with this. Although I have used them. Seems like a good dynamic mic works way better. When it comes to vocals stick with a condenser to get a good studio tone. When it comes to guitar don't go that route imo.

Seems case specific to me... condensers are great for situations like clean or low gain and such. If you're loud and distorted than yeah a dynamic might be better.

Dynamic for aggressive guitar tones.

However in the case of 'aggressive' tones a condenser can still sound great if combined with a dynamic...

• Members

i liked the way my guitar sounded with an MXL tube condenser i borrowed from a friend.

condensers on guitar cabs are more of a mystery than dynamic mics --- maybe you can try some out and let us know?

of course, you can't go wrong with a neumann u67 or u87

• Members

Seems case specific to me... condensers are great for situations like clean or low gain and such. If you're loud and distorted than yeah a dynamic might be better.

Dynamic for aggressive guitar tones.

However in the case of 'aggressive' tones a condenser can still sound great if combined with a dynamic...

Yeah I have used a condenser mic combined with a dynamic. I just figured he was looking for a straight guitar mic. Nothing sounds better than a condenser for an acoustic of a clean channel like you said.

Although I still seem to use dynamics on the clean channel lately.

• Members

Archived