Marshall Valvestate 8100

MrSandMan

• Members

Hey guys, I just posted this same topic on Gear-Monkey.com, figured I make one here too....

I just picked up a Marshall Valvestate 8100 (purchased online - waiting for it to ship) and uncharacteristically of me, bought on impulse.

I knew these amps produce kick ass metal tones, however, I can't seem to find any information on how they do with rock, vintage and clean sounds?

Anyone here have some experience with these amps?

• Members

Don't take this the wrong way, but with technology where it is today, shouldn't this forum have the capability to automatically delete threads with the word "valvestate" in it?

Sorry, man I just couldn't help it!

But seriously, don't get any buyer's remorse or anything, I recall that Static X uses them and, though I'm not a fan specifically, they have some seriously heavy metal tone.

I'm a tube snob because I require a totally smooth Santana-like lead tone with tons of sustain and no fizz or grit.

If I had more self control (or less boredom) I wouldn't have posted this! :)

• Members

Don't take this the wrong way, but with technology where it is today, shouldn't this forum have the capability to automatically delete threads with the word "valvestate" in it?

But seriously, don't get any buyer's remorse or anything, I recall that Static X uses them and, though I'm not a fan specifically, they have some seriously heavy metal tone.

I'm a tube snob because I require a totally smooth Santana-like lead tone with tons of sustain and no fizz or grit.

If I had more self control (or less boredom) I wouldn't have posted this!
:)

I'm usually a tone snob too, however I feel like a SS amp, which is one reason why I pulled the trigger. I was actually looking at getting an Ampeg VH-140C, but they are obscenely overpriced.

The Marshall Valvestate 8100, for some reason, get rave reviews and I want to know why... which is another reason why I made the internet purchase. I want to see what all the hype is about.

That said, the 'Metal' youtube clips of this amp were very impressive.

• Members

8100 is a badass amp and you're probably going to love it. If you like Death's "Symbolic"-era tone, it gets it absolutely down. Very responsive, too, you can dime out the gain and control it all the way back to light crunch/semi clean with your volume knob. It's basically like a tighter JCM900 with more gain on tap. Invest in a tubescreamer or other overdrive if you don't have one and you'll be able to cover the gamut of metal brutality. It has very effective tone controls, too.

Why the {censored}ing {censored} didn't I buy the half-stack for $500 when it came through, I am a goddamned retard

• Members

I'm usually a tone snob too, however I feel like a SS amp, which is one reason why I pulled the trigger. I was actually looking at getting an Ampeg VH-140C, but they are obscenely overpriced.

The Marshall Valvestate 8100, for some reason, get rave reviews and I want to know why... which is another reason why I made the internet purchase. I want to see what all the hype is about.

That said, the 'Metal' youtube clips of this amp were very impressive.

Yeah for the extra heavy stuff they seem to really do the job well.

I saw Evanecence about 6 years ago and thought their tone was SO heavy. I found out afterwards they were playing that overpriced solid state marshall [MTS or something- can't remember?]- that was new at the time and so many people said was a POS (and I thought was a POS when I tried it at GC), but for those heavy metal tones it's...... okay I'll say it.... "br00talz". Is that right?

wow I'm such a dork...

bump for your thread

• Members

8100 is a badass amp and you're probably going to love it. If you like Death's "Symbolic"-era tone, it gets it absolutely down. Very responsive, too, you can dime out the gain and control it all the way back to light crunch/semi clean with your volume knob. It's basically like a tighter JCM900 with more gain on tap. Invest in a tubescreamer or other overdrive if you don't have one and you'll be able to cover the gamut of metal brutality. It has very effective tone controls, too.

Why the {censored}ing {censored} didn't I buy the half-stack for $500 when it came through, I am a goddamned retard

I'm not a death metal fan. As heavy as I go is Disturbed -to- Five Finger Death Punch stuff...

Is there enough gain on tap, or do I need to boost it? Also, I'm currently working a deal on Crate GX-130C. Those seem to be an underrated amp as well.

• Members

Hey guys, I just posted this same topic on Gear-Monkey.com, figured I make one here too....

I just picked up a Marshall Valvestate 8100 (purchased online - waiting for it to ship) and uncharacteristically of me, bought on impulse.

I knew these amps produce kick ass metal tones, however, I can't seem to find any information on how they do with rock, vintage and clean sounds?

Anyone here have some experience with these amps?

They do a fairly good "crunch" sound. The high-gain channel is where it's at though. I bought one when they first came out, still have it. Reverb doesn't work anymore, but it'll still do metal all day. The clean is... ok. The "contour" knob is very cool and lets you dial in a good metal sound pretty quick. I keep my 8100 head around for a back-up.

• Members

Hah, I just picked one up for $100 this morning.

The SS clean is dark. I have to run the treble at max to get any spark out of it, and keep the bass low on the dial.

OD2 has plenty of usable gain if you have hot pickups. Very tight amp. You have to be careful with the treble. Otherwise it gives you fizz. I run mine at 11 o clock or less.

• Members

The SS clean is dark. I have to run the treble at max to get any spark out of it, and keep the bass low on the dial.

OD2 has plenty of usable gain if you have hot pickups. Very tight amp. You have to be careful with the treble. Otherwise it gives you fizz. I run mine at 11 o clock or less.

Nice score. I can't wait till it arrives.

I did pull the trigger for that Crate GX-130C (which is suppose to be "very similar" to the Ampeg VH-140C)

Can't wait to A/B them.

• Members

If I had more self control (or less boredom) I wouldn't have posted this!
:)

istockphoto_482558_cork_sniffer_wine_con

• Members

Sounds like an EQ or PQ3 will be in order. Can you get the clean to break up a little? Can you get it to produce some Black Stone Cherry type crunch?

• Members

Sounds like an EQ or PQ3 will be in order. Can you get the clean to break up a little? Can you get it to produce some Black Stone Cherry type crunch?

It does break up with the gain past 2 o clock. Or you can use the Crunch mode. Nothing to write home about.

• Members

Also, you might want to pay a quality amp tech to go over the traces, especially in the power section. They have some pretty notorious problems with cold joints, and the power caps are basically secured with nothing but solder. Put those two things together and you get amps quite prone to failure leading to mysterious silence. Better to head it off at the pass than wait for it to happen when you can least afford it (on stage, or while trying to impress some hottie with your Disturbed covers... ... ... :cry:)

Archived