Peavey Classic 50 users

ledvedder

• Members

I love my Classic 50. I was wondering if anyone knows of any recordings where it was used. I'm curious to hear them. If you know of any, please let me know.

I know for sure that Joe Satriani used a Classic 50 on many recordings and that's why he called Peavey to do the JSX.

• Members

" I can't tell you any specific audio recordings to reference.

When I saw 'The Eagles ' a couple of years ago, their guitar player

Steuart Smith was playing through two of 'em.

And, I believe, that's the rig he's playing through, on their 'Live in Melbourne' DVD. Sounded great by the way.

I've heard really good things, about those amps. Especially for the price."

MS1

• Members

I have heard that Pearl Jam uses them live on occasion but that's completely anecdotal. It wouldn't surprise me if they did.

That wouldn't surprise me either. Both of those guys, Stone and Mike, have about 20 different amps on stage with them when they play live.

• Members

This is a clip I recorded a while ago, stock SG std into the Classic 50 head and a 4x12 with greenbacks:

http://guitarbilly.com/peaveyclassicdemo.mp3

That sounds awesome. :rawk: What settings are you using?

By the way, I took your advice. I have 2 WGS Green Berets on the way that I bought from a fellow forumite, along with a set of tubes from Eurotubes.

• Members

That sounds awesome.
:rawk:
What settings are you using?

By the way, I took you advise. I have 2 WGS Green Berets on the way, along with a set of tubes from Eurotubes.

Those Green Berets sound absolutely killer. I have one in each of my Classic 30s.

• Members

I have played a Class 30 and 50 and really liked them. I am considering trying a classic 30 / Boss GT10 setup for home playing, in an attempt to distract myself from the Mesa Mark V

I'm actually looking at the Digitech RP500 to use with mine.

• Members

I'm actually looking at the Digitech RP500 to use with mine.

While I have some Digitech stuff and like it, I am under the impression that the distortion on the RP500 is solid state. I could be wrong here. But I prefer the tube like clipping, even if it is DSP, assuming the A/Ds and latency are reasonable.

• Members

Yeah, I went with a Classic 50. Now, I'm just waiting on the speakers and tubes I ordered for it. They should arrive today according to tracking.

Sweet, I'm happy for you. Great amp, I gigged one for a couple of years with a JJ power tube kit and left the stock pre tubes in there. Unmarked in V1, Sovtek in V2, and Electro Harmonix in V3.

I also put in well-broken in V30's.

This is all making me GAS for it again, I sold it because it's a bit bigger than I need for my band.

• Members

Sweet, I'm happy for you. Great amp, I gigged one for a couple of years with a JJ power tube kit and left the stock pre tubes in there. Unmarked in V1, Sovtek in V2, and Electro Harmonix in V3.

I also put in well-broken in V30's.

This is all making me GAS for it again, I sold it because it's a bit bigger than I need for my band.

What are you gigging with now? I'd love to eventually get one of those Traynor YCS's.

I ordered JJ power tubes, Tung Sol for V1, Penta for V2, and Sovtek for V3. These were recommended by Doug.

I also bought 2 WGS Green Berets for it.

• Members

While I have some Digitech stuff and like it, I am under the impression that the distortion on the RP500 is solid state. I could be wrong here. But I prefer the tube like clipping, even if it is DSP, assuming the A/Ds and latency are reasonable.

I really just want the effects in it (Delay, Flanger, Chorus, etc). I might use one of the distortion effects for a boost occassionaly. I don't really plan on using the amp modeling, just the "stompbox" functions of it.

• Members

What are you gigging with now? I'd love to eventually get one of those Traynor YCS's.

I ordered JJ power tubes, Tung Sol for V1, Penta for V2, and Sovtek for V3. These were recommended by Doug.

JJ power tubes are the way to go with these; more rugged and resistant to microphonics than anything else I've tried.

• Members

I gig with the YCS50 now. Another great amp.

My biggest problem has been that I haven't been able find clean tones that do everything I need. I don't really like the coil tap sounds on my PRS, and I don't like full buckers sometimes. I was NEVER satisfied with my clean tones on the Classic 50, but that's because of my guitars.

The YCS takes my guitars better, and it's smaller and lighter than the Classic 50, but it's oversized and has a big sound to it.

• Members

Yeah, I'm a "sterile" ultra clean kind of guy. An SS amp would probably be best for what I want to hear, but not for dirty!

BTW, the C50's dirty channel with those mods is ungodly. I was able to do so much with it with every pickup combination and volume knob adjustment. It just wouldn't sound bad no matter what you do.

It's also the easiest amps I've ever played too.

• Members

I had the RP500, and used it with my Classic 30. I don't really know how to describe it, other than it made the amp seem lifeless. I had it in pedal board mode, with the modelling turned off, and even with no effects in use, the C30 just had no life to it. It didn't have the nice rich tone I've come to expect from the C30. As soon as I bypassed the RP500, instant C30 tone. It was repeatable, and I couldn't figure out how to get rid of it. I played with every setting I could find in the manual, and it just never got any better. So I sent the RP500 back, and went back to my pedals.

• Members

I had the RP500, and used it with my Classic 30. I don't really know how to describe it, other than it made the amp seem lifeless. I had it in pedal board mode, with the modelling turned off, and even with no effects in use, the C30 just had no life to it. It didn't have the nice rich tone I've come to expect from the C30. As soon as I bypassed the RP500, instant C30 tone. It was repeatable, and I couldn't figure out how to get rid of it. I played with every setting I could find in the manual, and it just never got any better. So I sent the RP500 back, and went back to my pedals.

Did you try adjusting the output levels of the rp500? Did you have it in the right mode (Direct, not Line out)?

Archived