Opinions on the Mullard RI 12AX7?

Soulcrusher_X

• Members

What does everyone think of these? I was thinking of trying them in my JSX. I hear they are smooth and will help tame the high end on brighter amps, but they are one of the highest gain current production preamp tubes. Who has used them and what do they think. My JSX is due for a retube, so I was thinking of going with some Mullards in the preamp and some SED 6L6s in the poweramp.

• Members

I was curious about them as well. I saw a post on audiokarma. and the general consensus, is they are good, toneful tubes.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=130126

They are still too expensive for me, i cant find them for any cheaper than 16-17 bucks a piece.

Im really curious about the mullard RI EL34's as they are more in my price range for power tubes.

• Members

What does everyone think of these? I was thinking of trying them in my JSX. I hear they are smooth and will help tame the high end on brighter amps, but they are one of the highest gain current production preamp tubes. Who has used them and what do they think. My JSX is due for a retube, so I was thinking of going with some Mullards in the preamp and some SED 6L6s in the poweramp.

I just figured out why I have been annoyed with my sound for years.

It was that damn G12H30 (Hellatone30) all this time making my sound too bright and harsh. Now my 2x12 has a greenback and a Vintage30 and it is wonderful.

So... this bright amp of yours... have you played it through your greenback loaded cab too? Just on the off chance that you never have- try it and you wont have a harsh bright amp anymore. :thu:

• Members

I just figured out why I have been annoyed with my sound for years.

It was that damn G12H30 (Hellatone30) all this time making my sound too bright and harsh. Now my 2x12 has a greenback and a Vintage30 and it is wonderful.

So... this bright amp of yours... have you played it through your greenback loaded cab too? Just on the off chance that you never have- try it and you wont have a harsh bright amp anymore.
:thu:

Oh, no question, the Greenbacks are by far smoother than the G12H-30s. You are definitely right about the H30s being bright and gritty on the top end. I was still curious about the Mullard RI tubes though. =) I love those Greenbacks, too.

• Members

the el84's that're marketed under mullards name are really nice and smooth. they're pretty short lived in my amp.. but they really are nice sounding-- very round shouldered and easy on the ears.. but i can't speak to the ax7's.

i use 'em through an h30, and they take the edge off there... so if that's an indication...

• Members

Its a real nice tube. Lotsa gain, musical, 3-d, not as bright as a Tungsol or Chinese 9th...not as woody as a Sovtek LPS. Just a smidge noisier than the LPS, but much quieter than the Chinese 9th or Tungsol. Light years more musical than JJs...

YMMV

That's a Lotta work for a tube?

• Members

Its a real nice tube. Lotsa gain, musical, 3-d, not as bright as a Tungsol or Chinese 9th...not as woody as a Sovtek LPS. Just a smidge noisier than the LPS, but much quieter than the Chinese 9th or Tungsol. Light years more musical than JJs...

YMMV

Sorry for the partial hijack, but what are the LPSs like?

• Members

Hope they last as long as this baby. 13 years trouble free until this week.
:cry:

spax7aoa1.jpg

When I got that, the store was pushing the new "Groove Tubes"
:p
range of premium tubes so they did it at a lower price as nobody wanted the Boogie tubes.

Looks like a Chinese tube, Shuguang 12AX7.

• Members

Really? Hmm, I was thrown off by the Ecc83

Groove Tubes added that. It's accurate of course since it's just the European term for 12AX7.

The giveaway is the metal clip on the plate structure in the right side of the pic.

Here's a group of Shuguang 12ax7s that I had. I didn't have a closeup of a single tube, but you can see the clip on a couple of them.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q241/stevenc131/Shu1.jpg

• Members

I couldn't disagree more...

Now if you were describing the Tungsol I'd say spot on...

i'd bet, though, you use a higher gain amp--- that answer was more tailored toward Exocaster though-- i've heard similar reports of those under a goodly bit of gain, for what it's worth!

in lower gain apps-- man... p.u.. don't like me the long plate sovteks...

Archived