my guitar cable cost me over $110 - my experience - worth reading

andyhumb

• Members

After years and years of using half ass guitar cables, I finally decided that I would splurge and pay top dolllar for an evidence audio Lyric HG guitar cable. I figured, instead of going through multple cables every couple of years or dealing with half ass insulated cables that effect my tone, it was time to pay to get the best and be done with it.

So I purchased this cable from evidence audio. Sounded great, ultra quiet and durable. Insulated like a tank. After about 4 or 5 years of use, I started to have a little problem with it. I thought, oh {censored}, not my expensive cable! I contacted evidenceaudio.com and surprisingly - Tony - the owner himself, wrote back within two hours. He sent me a replacement almost immediately and I even mailed him my original cable back and he fixed it. WOW, customer service like this in today's day and age? I thought you guys would have to hear about this. One of the most positive experiences in my gear whore purchases to date.

If you are thinking of buying an expensive guitar cable (c'mon you cheap bastards, time to cough up some cash and get a quality cable for once) - look into evidence audio's Lyric HG cable. Tony, the owner, stands by his stuff even years down the road. I tested him and he delivered. This is not the kind of cable that you throw away. Your tone stays prestine with the Lyric HG - as it should be.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You're talking about a $110 cable that doesn't color your tone and has a lifetime warranty. I'm talking about a $20 cable that doesn't color my sound and has a lifetime warranty, and a $40 cable that doesn't color my sound and has a lifetime warranty. Whether they are "high end" does not matter. The important aspects here are reliability/warranty and price.

• Members

I'm not surpirsed that the cheaper cable companies whill throw you a new one if you have problems (it doesn't cost much to make cables of that caliber) - I would think that the really expensive companies may be a little leary to just give you a new one when you have a problems. Evidence Audio delivered for me, thats all I am saying.

• Members

I would think the opposite. The $8 cables we sell at work have no warranty. The nicer item you get, the longer it is supposed to last. Your {censored}ing cable should have a two-lifetime warranty for as much as you paid for it.

I've used $100 cables and GL cables.

• Members

If you don't think their is a difference with higher level cables, then you are a moron. It just means you never tried one.

+1

I will NEVER understand people who trash things without having used them. If you THINK top-tier guitar cables are overpriced, TRY ONE. Until you have, shut up about it. Everybody seems to have an opinion on everything, even when they have 0 basis for that opinion.

• Members

If you don't think their is a difference with higher level cables, then you are a moron. It just means you never tried one.

I've tried them. Did not rush out to buy them.

My Core cables have solidly built ends, that are filled with epoxy to prevent the solder connection from coming apart. I've been gigging these for well over a year and they still perform flawlessly. AND if the unlikely event I ever do have a problem, Zepman stands behind them 100%.

It sounds like you're just trying to justify the $110/cable you spent.

• Members

When I read these threads I can't help but :lol:.
One of my most dependable cables is this cheap ass POS cable that came FREE in the last Schecter guitar I bought. It's about as thin as a phone cable too. No noise/feedback issues and sounds just like my overpriced monster cable. No difference heard, but like it would {censored}ing matter on a 6505 combo anyway you know? Seriously, you can almost buy a cheap wireless system for the price of some of these cables. {censored} that.

• Members
+1

I will NEVER understand people who trash things without having used them. If you THINK top-tier guitar cables are overpriced, TRY ONE. Until you have, shut up about it. Everybody seems to have an opinion on everything, even when they have 0 basis for that opinion.

how could i have forgotten that more money = more tone :facepalm:

• Members

+1

Again, have tried them, did not want to buy them.

I'm not dropping $110 just so I can try them again to prove to you that I don't think they're worth the cash.

I play single coil guitars, into old dirt boxes into an old Fender amp. What "big" difference am I going to notice except the big difference in price?

• Members

Again, have tried them, did not want to buy them.

I'm not dropping $110 just so I can try them
again
to prove to you that I don't think they're worth the cash.

I play single coil guitars, into old dirt boxes into an old Fender amp. What "big" difference am I going to notice except the big difference in price?

Not saying you haven't, just saying some haven't.

If someone has tried something and doesn't like it, I have 100% respect for them, that's my only point.

To the other dude, I didn't say more money = more tone (in fact you'll notice I specifically avoided that: better is subjective). I'm saying that you should try one before trashing it arbitrarily and calling someone a "{censored}ing moron".

Archived