School me on Parker guitars!!!

GGWise47

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I like to think I'm progressive and willing to see conventions shattered, but I never quite bonded with my Fly Deluxe. I was incredibly excited about it beforehand, but over time it became somewhat of a stone around my neck as a guitar I loved owning but not necessarily playing. It felt too synthetic, a bit toylike, like aliens had seen us playing guitars from a distance and created their own from polymolded future matter in a molybdenum vacuum chamber. It felt dead, like a keyboard.

And you see that sharp 45 degree angle that makes a shoulder in the top horn? That dug painfully into my chest every time I played the bitch sitting down; it was only comfortable standing up. I always thought it odd that someone would reinvent the guitar from the ground up with all those neat innovations and patents yet put a spike on it that made it hurt.

Loved the look of it, though.:love:

My favorite feature was the stainless steel frets, how they are great for vibrato and always feel freshly polished.

Eventually I sold it for $1100 just to be free.

Now I play a parts Strat made out of actual wood, with a nitro finish and 20 times the acoustic resonance of the Fly. With stainless steel frets.:p

• Members

The Fly is a great guitar, but has some drawbacks. It's unconfortable if you gig a lot due to it's shape. Also, my fly lacked a warm, fully rounded sound as a guitar with thin of a body isn't going to resonate much.

That said, they sound great and play even better. The eboxy/glass fretboards are excellent. Just make sure you get a fly as the niteflys seemed pretty worthless to me.

• Members
i cant say ive ever used a trem on any guitar... but does having adjustable tension at your fingertips really matter?
:confused:

It's actually a very useful feature, because combined with the trem-stop switch on the back, you can change from a fully-floating bridge, to down-only, to hardtail in seconds without even opening the guitar. So, you can do divebombs and whammy tricks, then flip the switch and you can do drop tunings without any hassles, or turn the knob and you can do double-stop bends and pedal steel licks and whatnot without going out of tune. It's actually a really cool and useful system.

• Members
It's actually a very useful feature, because combined with the trem-stop switch on the back, you can change from a fully-floating bridge, to down-only, to hardtail in seconds without even opening the guitar. So, you can do divebombs and whammy tricks, then flip the switch and you can do drop tunings without any hassles, or turn the knob and you can do double-stop bends and pedal steel licks and whatnot without going out of tune. It's actually a really cool and useful system.

Is this pretty standard on most fly models, or are we talking about a discontinued oddball option?! :confused:

Why don't strats have these?!?!? :freak:

Double stop bends + strat = Fail

• Members

DO WANT

• Members

Is this pretty standard on most fly models, or are we talking about a discontinued oddball option?!
:confused:

Why don't strats have these?!?!?
:freak:

Double stop bends + strat = Fail

It was standard on all the Fly models (not the niteflys or P-series) for a long time but recently they redesigned the system...they moved the wheel inside but you can access it with an included tool through an opening in the back plate. So, it's a little bit harder to get it fully locked-down but not much. The reason they did this was because although the original system worked perfectly, nobody in the stores knew how to use it. People would just go "I wonder what this thing does?" and turn it until they completely FUBAR'd the bridge tension or until something broke. At one point I saw 5 Fly's in a store an not a single one of them was properly adjusted. So basically, they dumbed the system down to idiot-proof it. At the same time they removed some of the controls for the piezo system, again, presumably to simplify. Personally, I think the older models are superior but the newer ones are still pretty badass.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Ah, I was wondering why it didn't show up on Parker's website.... so can you still lock the trems down?

Its also badass for switching strings in a hurry, considering its a full floating trem (when needed). Lock bridge -> remove strings -> put in new ones (locking tuners ftw) -> tune it -> unlock -> adjust wheel till its in perfect tune (that way it'll stay in tune when you lock it, perfect if a string breaks, which hasnt happened on my Fly Deluxe in 7 years). It takes a few minutes to switch the strings, seriously.

While I'm not 100% happy with the pickups on my 96 fly, I just cant really do without the features it has... compound radius, carbon glass fretboard, no neck heel, the wonderful piezo, the amazing trem, the weight...

I constantly GAS for strats and telecasters, occasionally an ES335 or LP. But they just end up feeling clunky and unmanageable to me. Been playing Parker for 8-9 years now... And I never even needed a backup for gigs.

• Members
Very thin neck, but not incredibly flat; a great combination so it's both very comfortable and very fast. Incredibly nice playing; feels effortless. I wish they made hardtails, 7 strings, and/or Floyd Roses though.
:(

There are a bunch of us who wish they made 7s:cry:. I'd even learn to play a trem if they made a freakin' 7

Archived