Super tight metal amp <$2000

IamGuitaRJ

• Members
yeah that graphic is just crazy for shaping the tone. I meant just plugging straight in, no boost no Graphic

Without the grpahic EQ on, I could see where you could say other amps would be tighter. I pretty much always had the EQ engaged on my UL and the boost was on all the time as well on both the orange and red channels.

I also really liked the ULs clean channel as well. Loud, and tons of clean headroom.

Here's a few pics of my UL with my settings:

vht

vht

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Without the grpahic EQ on, I could see where you could say other amps would be tighter. I pretty much always had the EQ engaged on my UL and the boost was on all the time as well on both the orange and red channels.

I also really liked the ULs clean channel as well. Loud, and tons of clean headroom.

Here's a few pics of my UL with my settings:

vht%2071.jpg

vht%2072.jpg

Man...that's a beaut!

• Members

i just find the UL to be one of the tightest amps i've ever played. that said, i've never played a Cobra to compare, and i found the Dragon to be a bit lacking in that department...

I've yet to find an amp that's tighter than the Cobra right out of the box. I've owned and compared both.

The Ultralead is a cool amp. Versatile and real smooth sounding but I didnt find it as tight as advertised.

For the UL owners, What cab/speakers do you find work best with the head?

• Members

I have been talking to knucklefux and it sounds enticing. I am considering the cobra but i can't find any use ones nearby or really anywhere. I'm not finding a UL for less than 2 Gs either. I wanted a VH4 but that is a bit high for me until i get some more money.

I don't really want a V3 but if i could try it out, i would. It needs to be tight with a 7 tuned to A.

• Members
I have been talking to knucklefux and it sounds enticing. I am considering the cobra but i can't find any use ones nearby or really anywhere. I'm not finding a UL for less than 2 Gs either. I wanted a VH4 but that is a bit high for me until i get some more money.

I don't really want a V3 but if i could try it out, i would. It needs to be tight with a 7 tuned to A.

My money is already in for a Titan. Knucklefux is a super nice guy and really seems to know his {censored}. I spent quite a while talking to him and he was very very easy to work with and talk to.

I can't wait for it to get here. I have a very long history of settling for amps I kind of like because the really really good amps are just too expensive. I have gotten sick of it and decided that it was time to buy something that will make me happy instead if just settling. The fact that he is an up and coming builder made his prices within my range. I missed so many opportunities like this in the past, I am happy to be able to take advantage of it now.

My tone is in Knucklefux's hands and I am confident that he will deliver the tone from my head to an amp :rawk:

• Members
My money is already in for a Titan. Knucklefux is a super nice guy and really seems to know his {censored}. I spent quite a while talking to him and he was very very easy to work with and talk to.

I can't wait for it to get here. I have a very long history of settling for amps I kind of like because the really really good amps are just too expensive. I have gotten sick of it and decided that it was time to buy something that will make me happy instead if just settling. The fact that he is an up and coming builder made his prices within my range. I missed so many opportunities like this in the past, I am happy to be able to take advantage of it now.

My tone is in Knucklefux's hands and I am confident that he will deliver the tone from my head to an amp
:rawk:

I think I'm definitely getting Knucklefux's amp when i have the money. I need to unload some of my gear. I'm hoping it sounds fantastic because i can then get rid of both my amps and have money to spend on whatever else i decide to get.

• Members
I think I'm definitely getting Knucklefux's amp when i have the money. I need to unload some of my gear. I'm hoping it sounds fantastic because i can then get rid of both my amps and have money to spend on whatever else i decide to get.

Well considering his circuit is modeled after a very well loved amp which kicks serious ass, I am not concerned. From what knuckle said, his amp has it's own thing going, just the jumping point he used was the SLO. That fact alone has me extremely anxious to get my hands on it and play :)

It's just the wait that is killing me :mad::freak:

• Members
Well considering his circuit is modeled after a very well loved amp which kicks serious ass, I am not concerned. From what knuckle said, his amp has it's own thing going, just the jumping point he used was the SLO. That fact alone has me extremely anxious to get my hands on it and play
:)

It's just the wait that is killing me
:mad::freak:

What's killing me is trying to find someone to buy my amp. I know I haven't been trying to sell it for long but I know it will take some time, and until then, I'll have to deal with low offers that i wont accept.

• Members

What's killing me is trying to find someone to buy my amp. I know I haven't been trying to sell it for long but I know it will take some time, and until then, I'll have to deal with low offers that i wont accept.

Same here, just with a guitar. I've had my Washburn up for about 2 weeks. The guitar is absolutely amazing, but I can't seem to relay that to anyone.

• Members

. I wanted a VH4 but that is a bit high for me until i get some more money.

Don't get a VH4 unless you actually tried one - I like tight amps and had a VH4S for a while, but never could get along with it. I'd think the Herbert is tighter than the VH4 anyway.

I'd suggest the amp in my sig, but then I'd get flamed to hell and back.

;-)

• Members

Did you say 7 string tuned to A.......... For a Modern very tight and aggressive tone there are only a few amps out there I would suggest.

- Framus Cobra with a boost..... It is the tightest amp out there when boosted.

- ENGL SE or Savage , both of them do not need a boost and are super tight.

- Soldano Avenger with a boost ( downside is no clean channel or fx loop )

These are the best sounding amps Ive used that can handle the lows of a 7 in A and stay super tight, they all also have a nice midrange that will work in a band mix.

• Members

Don't get a VH4 unless you actually tried one - I like tight amps and had a VH4S for a while, but never could get along with it. I'd think the Herbert is tighter than the VH4 anyway.

I'd suggest the amp in my sig, but then I'd get flamed to hell and back.

;-)

I prefer the Hebrert over the VH4 as well. I think the best way to describe it though is that the VH4 is more compressed, while the Herbert is more open, but still an amazingly tight/articulate amp... and the Herbert just sounds more musical and is more responsive to your playing vs. the VH4.

Also there has been at least 3 seperate revisions of the VH4 over the years... and they all sound very different.

• Members

I dunno guys, for the price range, you're looking at some great amps. I play a VH100R, and I find it to be super tight and great for huge, low tuned sounds... but then again, it's got a vintage vibe to it that some people might not like....

Hey, if you're into the more british sound, get yourself a JCM900... they lack bass, so they'll stay tight with lower tunings with ease... Low end is not really a concern for me though... I like low mids, not bass, thats why I have a bass player...

-Curtis

• Members

After playing the sigX, i agree with one of my friends, lacks punch and sounds ball-less.

EBSAC. Or EBGAA.

I'd check out the Titan, from Knuck's description, especially at his current bargain price. I'd also steer you towards checking out a Peters Chimera perhaps for the future.

• Members

Did you say 7 string tuned to A.......... For a Modern very tight and aggressive tone there are only a few amps out there I would suggest.

- Framus Cobra with a boost..... It is the tightest amp out there when boosted.

- ENGL SE or Savage , both of them do not need a boost and are super tight.

- Soldano Avenger with a boost ( downside is no clean channel or fx loop )

These are the best sounding amps Ive used that can handle the lows of a 7 in A and stay super tight, they all also have a nice midrange that will work in a band mix.

I don't consider Avengers super tight in the least bit. I always thought they were on the looser side?

+1 to Cobra or Savage.

• Members

Carvin V3 w/ a set of Ruby EL34BSTRs and a more aggressive bias (~38mA).

A very brutal, yet toneful amp. {censored} tons of EQ. I don't even both to turn the drive all the way up, and I use pickups named "Painkiller".

Best of all, I think it's like $899 new.

It really needs a good speaker cab -- no V30s. I use G12-65s.

Archived