Electronic Piece (Apocalypse Now)

• Members

for a class of mine my professor requested me to make a 3 minute electronic piece that goes with a supplement scene in the film Apocalypse Now. Its supposed to be eerie, emulating travel by helicopter over a jungle. Tell me what you think.

www.myspace.com/britemidnight

P.S. check out the other song and give feedback if you would like to

• Members

I had a friend, brother of a good friend, who was a Capt. in the Amry Rangers in Vietnam. They called him Captain 'Lectric -- because he usually went out on patrol with head full of LSD. (I heard him quoted as saying the acid 'trails' combined with tracers helped him aim better.)

I imagine this is pretty much what he heard in the chopper on the way to a jungle firefight.

I liked the intro enormously. At first I wasn't sure about using such an overtly chopper-like synth sound but, assuming the soundtrack was otherwise silent, this would actually be pretty much perfect. And I was pretty much good until we got to the guitar part. That part, while sorta kinda Hendrix-remiscent, just doesn't work nearly as well as the synths. If one was going to go with such a part, I think I would really really live inside of Hendrix' Monterey Pop or Woodstock feedback fests (a la Star Spangled Banner) for a little while and then just try to capture the texture of that feedback... don't bog down in trying to play like Hendrix... but get the essence of his brink-of-chaos feedback and you should be good. (I used to get some insane feedback by sticking my mic inside the cheezy 5 watt amp I was using at the time and feeding that into the monitors live so that the whole thing would feedback. Good times. Where was I?)

Anyhow, I can't tell you how much I was knocked out by the first minute or so. Great, evocative stuff.

• Members

Well, it certainly fits to the assignment.:thu:

Until the solo guitar ala Hendrix (as Blue mentioned), the track leaned more towards effects than music. Which is fine for film, but I would've love to hear some distant eerie melodies (synth sounds).

Maybe replace the guitar with some haunting lead synth voices, or save the guitar and put some orchestra meat behind it. Just some new ideas...

I don't know... I'm just thinking out loud. Bottomline; it works for the asignment, so good job!:thu:

Best, John:cool:

Archived