speaker ohm question

Karma1

• Members

I have a Marshall 8040 combo (Valvestate) with a 12" Celestion G12L rated at 4 ohms. I've read some of the user reviews on this amp here on Harmony Central and a few of them mentioned putting a Celestion Vintage 30 in theirs and liking the improvement. However, I haven't been able to find a 4 ohm Vintage 30, they seem to 8 or 16 ohms.

What's the possibility of using an 8 ohm speaker in the amp? I may be mistaken, but I think I remember reading that the mismatch is a more of a problem if it's a tube amp, and this is basically solid state other than single 12ax7 in the preamp for the drive channel. I'm warming up the clean and overdrive sound a bit with a Mesa Boogie V-Twin tube preamp pedal in front of the amp and it sounds pretty good, but I think a speaker upgrade would make a nice difference.

I'm also open to other speaker suggestions. Thanks.

• Members

I would read the owners manual or call customer support before connecting an 8 ohm speaker to a 4 ohm SS but usually it isn't a big deal running a solid state through the right impedence speaker. I sometimes run a 4 ohm crate through a 16 ohm cab and it hasn't done anything to the transformer. as for any other speakers, I'm not sure of any good 4 ohm speakers unless you link two 8 ohms in parallel. Eminence would be a good company to look at for a speaker though, their site and customer support are very helpful

• Members

maybe not

vol (db) of an amp 50w is not much different than @ 100w amp

8 Ohm might see some vol change but not as much if he went 16. It also depends on the speaker design too. Better efficiency compared to what was in there orig may prove to not lose too much on the vol side.

• Members
maybe not

8 Ohm might see some vol change but not as much if he went 16. It also depends on the speaker design too. Better efficiency compared to what was in there orig may prove to not lose too much on the vol side.

True - even though it will be approx. 1/2 the power, it takes something like 1/10th the power for it to sound half as loud to the ear. Does anyone even make a 40 Ohm speaker?:confused:

• Members
maybe not

Casey said wattage, not volume, which he was dead-on.

Archived