Friday Influences Thread 04.24.09

Stackabones

• Members

I was a big Sparks fan in the mid-70s. I was bored crazy by the mainstream music scene, after an initial fling, I found myself quickly over the big prog bands, most of whom I saw.

Sparks had elements of prog but extremely arch, cynical, wry, and/or sometimes just plain whimsical lyrics, combined with a deadpan irony that really knocked me out. Front man Russel Mael's contralto vocals and prancing stage mannerisms well-disguised the fact that the then-surprisingly broad shouldered Mael had been a high school fullback. (Keyboardist, Chaplin-moustachioed keyboardist brother Ron was in the HS band. ;) )

Their arrangements were often elaborate little rock-driven mini-operettas (in those days, they always had some hot studio lickslinger in the guitar/bass/drums backline, dutifully supplying high octane -- but typically deadpan -- guitar pyrotechnics that intricately complemented Ron Mael's proto-new wave keyboards).

A lot of their old albums finally became available on Rhapsody and I've been digging the heck out of old favorites like "Don't Leave Me Alone with Her" ("...every home is Rome, alone with her...") and "Under the Table with You" (actually a lovely and innocent child hood love song; I think).

Of some interest are their latter day remakes of some of their classic tracks, some of which is backed by Faith No More (a particularly apt combination, amazingly) and some of which is arranged strictly for string ensemble accompaniment.

I didn't really make the curve with them into their new wave phase (the synth pop thing only held my attention for so long and they took a second shifting gears into the 80s*) but, man, I loved their classic 70s stuff.

*Ironically, since some of their earliest stuff sounds smack-ass like 1979/80... check out 1971's "Fa La Fa Lee" -- it's keyboard driven twee new wave straight out of a decade into the future.

• Members

I do remember Sparks from their many TV appearances in the 70's. The song by Neko Case doesn't sound like how I remember them at all though. Great tune.

Admittedly, I didn't have a TV for hardly any of the 70s, but I'm curious what shows they were on.

I do remember stumbling on them salted away in the horrible disaster movie, Roller Coaster. I was watching idly on some afternoon matinee or something in the 80s and all of a sudden I heard that clarion voice (Russel) and I thought, Oh... my... gosh.

Archived