5150 crunch button ?

vrm

• Members

The thread concerning running multiple amps got me thinking, on the 5150 does engaging the crunch button on the rhythm channel engage another tube gain stage?

The reason I ask is recently in the studio I was running my 5150 and my ampeg vl-502 together and on the clean channel the amps are in phase, but when I switch over to the lead channel on both amps they are out of phase.

Can anyone provide me the info on the gain stages of the 5150 as far as rhythm (clean), rhythm (crunch engaged) and lead channel?

• Members

this is a 5150, not a 5150II?

looking at the schematic, it appears that all gain stages are engaged at all times...maybe i missed something:idk:

yeah, just a plain jane 5150. What would cause the clean to be in phase and the lead to be out if all gain stages are engaged?

• Members

all i can come up with is that the second stage has a relay that feeds an out of phase signal to the input of the third stage. initially, i supposed that this was just a way to reduce the size of the signal on the grid of the third gain stage. that doesn't explain the phase inversion, though.

when that relay is off, that out of phase signal is no longer applied to the third stage's grid.

PM jerryP. he's the expert on these things, maybe he can tell you something that makes sense:idk:

Archived