workout/fitness guys: what do you eat?

blargh

• Members

i know there's a billion sites about it, but i'm hoping to avoid the BS and misinformation (though maybe that's a bit much to hope for from HCAF?)

i want to get serious about not looking like a slob, and from what i've been reading, step one is eating well. which is unfortunate, because my current dietary habits are the antithesis of healthy, so completely changing what i eat seems like a massive challenge.

so, HCAF, what kind of healthy things do you eat during the course of your average day?

• Members

Average day:

Breakfast: 2 eggs, either boiled or fried, 2 pieces turkey bacon. Sometimes with a bowl of oats, sometimes with a bagel, sometimes neither. Cup of coffee with creamer and aspartame. Multi vitamin and potassium.

Lunch: On workout days it is usually chicken and a potato or brown rice. On non workout days I try for meat and a salad or veggies. I usually take an Omega 3 pill at this point.

Pre-workout: juice and creatine 1 hour before, B vitamins. Cup of coffee and aspirin 10 minutes prior.

Post workout: gatorade and creatine, another multi vitamin, vitamin C, BCAA pills or dessicated liver pills.

Dinner: Usually meat and potatoes or wheat pasta postworkout, meat and veggies on non-workout days.

Before bed: protein shake, yogurt, nuts, peanut butter, or cottage cheese.

Other: treat on Friday or Saturday night every 2 weeks.

I'm not crazy strict, but when I am the results speak for themselves.

• Members

I eat a LOT but I'm not a small guy anymore so I have to.

I eat Eggs, Chicken, Beef/Venison, Cottage cheese and Protein Powder for Protein

WW Pasta and breads, oats, sweet potatoes for carbs

Nuts and oils for fats. Also get veggies in a couple of times a day. Anything green.

• Members

meal 1 (7:30): 2 or 3 fresh eggs(from my chickens), 1 or 2 slices of ww bread, glass of slim milk

meal 2 (10:30): grapefruit or banana and almonds, sometimes I'll do eggwhites or a protein shake, depending on what I ate from breakfast.

meal 3 (12:30): chicken breast, steak, or can of tuna with a banana.

meal 4 (4:00): something small: salad, fruit, cottage cheese etc

meal 3 (9:30-11) 1/2 cup or cup of low fat cottage cheese with pineapple or some fruit on top.

I drink plenty of water all day and take fish oil pills.

• Members

What do you eat now?

You don't necessarily have to go all hardcore if you're just starting out.

You'd be surprised what you can accomplish by simply cutting out the junk.

Replace ALL of your beverages with water. No soda, diet or otherwise, and no "energy" drinks of any kind.

Next just stop eating crap. Eat sandwiches on whole grain bread with mustard instead of mayo. Don't go crazy on the meat.

Learn your portion sizes. Look at your hand. The palm of your hand, minus your fingers and thumbs, is one serving of meat. Don't eat more then that, if you do you're a fat pig.

Eat complex carbs instead of simple carbs. No white breads and enriched wheat products. Instead eat veggies like broccoli and spinach. If you're really craving carbs, go for multigrain bread.

I'm sure there will be a ton of hardcore diet advice and supplements on this thread. Since you said you're a slob, you really don't have to worry about that until you're not "out of shape". If you get to the point where you're healthy and then want to become fit, then come back and ask for additional advice.

Remember though, you're not changing your diet, you're changing your lifestyle. You can't just do it for a little while, you have to do it forever.

-W

• Members

meal 1 (7:30): 2 or 3 fresh eggs(from my chickens), 1 or 2 slices of ww bread, glass of slim milk

meal 2 (10:30): grapefruit or banana and almonds, sometimes I'll do eggwhites or a protein shake, depending on what I ate from breakfast.

meal 3 (12:30): chicken breast, steak, or can of tuna with a banana.

meal 4 (4:00): something small: salad, fruit, cottage cheese etc

meal 3 (9:30-11) 1/2 cup or cup of low fat cottage cheese with pineapple or some fruit on top.

I drink plenty of water all day and take fish oil pills.

Pretty much exactly this but in different orders.

• Members

Cup of coffee with creamer and aspartame. Multi vitamin and potassium.

Pre-workout: juice and creatine 1 hour before, B vitamins. Cup of coffee and aspirin 10 minutes prior.

somebody told me that caffeine is a diarhetic or whatever and kind of flushes out vitamins and supplements and stuff if you take them around the time you drink coffee - is that true?

• Members

I did Atkins for a couple of months and hit a plateau with weight loss. Well, I couldnt lose any more fat but I was gaining muscle. I think I like the concept of carb control because I am a bad sugar addict. I crave carbs and it can be overpowering hence why I thought if I limited them and kept my blood sugar steady that I could get a good grasp on it. All in all, I think its too strict and if you ever fall off the wagon, its right back to the carb cravings, maybe even worse. Dont mess with Atkins. I think the best bet is probably something to keep your meals small and frequent while getting vits/mins/protein/fiber and a good balance to keep your cholesterol in good shape.

• Members

breakfast: cereal (kashi has some decent stuff) with 2% milk, or egg whites (cooked however) with some oatmeal

lunch: pasta with ground turkey instead of beef, or some chicken with rice

dinner: sandwich with turkey/chicken on whole grain bread

late night: small piece of baked fish

avoid eating out, frozen foods, excessive sugar, pork, butter, anything you know is junk

eat things like ground beef, cheese, high sugar fruits, etc. in moderation

drink as much water as you can

don't overeat, but don't starve yourself either

• Members

What do you eat now?

I'm sure there will be a ton of hardcore diet advice and supplements on this thread. Since you said you're a slob, you really don't have to worry about that until you're not "out of shape". If you get to the point where you're healthy and then want to become fit, then come back and ask for additional advice.

pizza and fast food on a pretty regular basis, plenty of pasta, white bread, ice cream, candy, beer, etc.

i'm not really a complete mess, i look pretty thin with a shirt on (6'1, 175 pounds) but I really want to get rid of the gut/love handles, and then work from there on gaining muscle mass.

• Members

stay away from most protein bars, they're little more than a snickers with whey. try to stay with high fiber carbs like oats and whole grains (not multigrain), the fiber helps you digest the carbs slower which keeps your blood sugar from spiking. good fats like almonds are great to keep you full. don't drink your calories. casein proteins like cottage cheese before bed. keep your protein shakes to less than 30 grams of protein.

• Members

stay away from most protein bars, they're little more than a snickers with whey. try to stay with high fiber carbs like oats and whole grains (not multigrain), the fiber helps you digest the carbs slower which keeps your blood sugar from spiking. good fats like almonds are great to keep you full. don't drink your calories. casein proteins like cottage cheese before bed.
keep your protein shakes to less than 30 grams of protein.

I'm not with you on the bold part but he'll be fine he does that.

I agree about the bars though. Some are good but they're expensive and really not worth it IMO.

OP, just remember it's cals in vs cals out. You probably won't be able to completely change your eating habits over night but put effort into this and your exercise and you'll get the results.

• Members

pizza and fast food on a pretty regular basis, plenty of pasta, white bread, ice cream, candy, beer, etc.

i'm not really a complete mess, i look pretty thin with a shirt on (6'1, 175 pounds) but I really want to get rid of the gut/love handles, and then work from there on gaining muscle mass.

Yeah, see you don't have to go all hardcore to get where you want to be right now. Just cut the crap out and you'll do much better. Then you know you can still kick it up a notch with the superfit diets when you get really serious.

-W

• Members

whey is a supplement, get your protein from real food, thats why less than 30

Ok, I was thinking you were going with the "You're body can only absorb x amount..." thing. Yeah, whole foods, whether it's protein or not, are better for sure.

Some of those powders are just to damn good though lol

Archived