Need help finding an LP-style guitar for metal

kyrreca

• Members

Hi, amp guys.

I'm posting this here, since it's not allowed to like metal in my usual hangout, the effects forum.

I need to buy a new guitar, which will primarily be used for playing black metal. I have been looking around a bit and it seems like an ESP Eclipse (or and LTD EC1000) would be my best choice, but I'm wondering if there are other alternatives. You guys seem to be well informed on the tools of the brutal trade, so I'm looking for suggestions.

Here's what I'm looking for:

-LP style body, black finish.

-Active (or at least high output) pickups.

-24 frets (not a necessity, but highly preferred)

-Fixed bridge

-No stupid inlays (crosses, tribal {censored}). Blocks or dots please. No stupid graphics on the headstock either.

-Chrome hardware.

-Price tag not too far above $1500 (new or used). A cheaper alternative would be great too. As long as the build quality is nice, I can upgrade the hardware later.

• Members

Put the metal pickups of your choice in a Tokai.

Metal finish maketh not a metal guitar. Any good (well made, good acoustic tone (what that is for you is up to you)) with powerfull pickups in will do. And you'll save, what, thick end of a grand?

• Members

Put the metal pickups of your choice in a Tokai.

Metal finish maketh not a metal guitar. Any good (well made, good acoustic tone (what that is for you is up to you)) with powerfull pickups in will do. And you'll save, what, thick end of a grand?

Yeah, I wouldn't mind getting a cheaper guitar and upgrading it, but most of the straight LP-ripoffs have 22 frets, and I'd really like 24.

Considering the finish, it's not that important, I just want something black, and as simple as possible as possible in the looks-department.

• Members

Are there any significant differences between the ESP's and the high-end LTD's?

BTW, I'm sure these things are discussed here all the time, but as mentioned I don't use this forum much, and the search function didn't help.

• Members

Are there any significant differences between the ESP's and the high-end LTD's?

BTW, I'm sure these things are discussed here all the time, but as mentioned I don't use this forum much, and the search function didn't help.

Better woods and better craftsmanship mostly in the attention to detail given to it.

• Members
Well with your price range ESP Eclipse all the way.

They can be had around $1000 used all day long, and are definitely a notch above the LTD EC-500/1000s (not that those are bad, I intend to have a 1000)

:love:
ESP_eclipseUSA_II_SW.jpg

:love::love:

• Members

Better woods and better craftsmanship mostly in the attention to detail given to it.

So it's kinda like the Prestige Ibanezes vs the Korean-made ones? I need to see if I can find an ESP locally to try out.

• Members

If you get a tokai, make sure it is from the 80's. Lots of rip off out there with the new ones.

There is a REALLY nice LS50 on ebay now. Faded cherry sunburst.

But you may want to go higher up in the numbers.

I have an 80's Tokai and it is godlike.

If you want a stone cold bargain, the USA Washburns have AWFUL resell value. A guitar you paid $2500 for often sells for a grand used. And the top end Idol series are bloody awesome. REALLY surprised.

But 80's Tokai, or the Eclipse will make damn sure you won't lose any money.

Personally, my fav metal LP was a studio with EMGs. But only 1 in 10 studios are as good as the one i had so you have to browse through the lemons.

• Members

Hmm, I'll keep my eyes open for an old Tokai. In general, I really like Japanese guitars.

I agree that some of the LP studios are really nice too. I used to own an early90's Studio that would have been perfect for this use. Sadly, I traded it for a horrible Crate modelling amp back when modelling was new and exciting. FACEPLAM ad infinitum. :cry:

Those Washburns look cool too. It just sucks that the shops around here suck, and I don't have a way to try most of these guitars before buying.

• Members

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say: used LP

Yeah, I wouldn't mind a Gibson, but as I said in the first post, I'd like a 24-fret neck if possible. It seems like there aren't many other brands than LTD/ESP that have more than 22, though.

• Members

Yeah, I wouldn't mind a Gibson, but as I said in the first post, I'd like a 24-fret neck if possible. It seems like there aren't many other brands than LTD/ESP that have more than 22, though.

24frets on an LP style guitar is gonna be unaccessable anyways

• Members

24frets on an LP style guitar is gonna be unaccessable anyways

Yeah, I understand that the top frets won't be as easy to as easy to reach as on my RG, but I'd still like the two extra frets. I've tried the EC1000 in a shop, and the access was OK, and it's still good for tapping, harmonics and such.

• Members

I don't get the deal with 22 vs. 24 frets. If you have a preference for scale length, that's one thing, but I think the only thing scale length affects is detuning - unless you're talking about short-scale guitars. When I switch back and forth from my LP to my RG550 I don't notice the lack of 2 extra frets on the LP.

• Members
I don't get the deal with 22 vs. 24 frets. If you have a preference for scale length, that's one thing, but I think the only thing scale length affects is detuning - unless you're talking about short-scale guitars. When I switch back and forth from my LP to my RG550 I don't notice the lack of 2 extra frets on the LP.

Hmmm... I bet you'd notice them if you tried to PLAY the high E and it wasn't there :idea:

• Members

The scale length affects string tension, which changes how bends feel, etc. I don't care about downtuning anyway, I play in standard.

The reason I want the two extra frets is, like thinkpad20 said, the fact that there are two extra notes available. Some people don't care about that, but I do.

Archived