When must a half-stack go??

Ironhandjohn

• Members

My '88 Carvin X-100B is my first 'real' amp, and I've owned it now for almost 5 years. After years of playing it thru an old Peavey 412F, I got a killer Redbear cab from Guttermouth a few years ago, and it sounds even better. I truly love this amp....

...Which makes what I'm considering even more painful....

Our new living conditions make it difficult to play this amp like I used to, to the point that I now go thru weeks, even months, when I don't even flip it to 'standby'. 100 watts is WAAAYYY too much amp for our little house, and I no longer have the basement/amp room/man-cave like at the old Rancho Ironhand.

When has a half-stack out-lived its place? I tried a Vox Tonelab a few years ago, and though it sounded nice, I never found a sound I was completely happy with. Besides, I missed moving massive amounts of air and shaking the walls in the way only 4 12" speakers can! IF, and I'm not saying I AM going to sell my amp, I would likely replace it with a smaller tube combo like a Fender DRRI, or something that can do both clean and dirty sounds, and work well with pedals.

I don't gig, never have, and frankly, play only to impress my wife and myself, but the X-amp fell into my lap one day at a buddy's music shop. The amp was/is way more than I'll ever use, but sometimes, when the kids are all playing outside, Mrs. Ironhand is at the store or something..... When I let all 100 tube-driven watts run loose(especially now that I have an LP Jr.).. Well, it's FUCKING COOL!!!!

DSC00014.jpg

I'm just ranting for now, and I'm not even drunk yet..

• Members

dude, keep your amp. if you can't get good tone at lower volumes with that amp, get an attenuator.

alternately, if you just want something you can jam out by yourself with you can get a POD and plug in some headphones. a DRRI combo is not going to be some uber quiet little amp.

• Members

hahaha ... awesome. Seems like you have a great amp on your hands, one that makes you happy.

Well, if 100watts is way to much, 20 watts is consequently still too much. So really a tube combo might not really cut it for you unless you can settle for a tube amp with good low volume sounds.

If you need nice cleans and nice dirt, a peavey classic 30 could do just fine. You can even pull two of the tubes and run 15 watts.

Other than that, I would definitely look into a good modeler, tonelab being a great start. Would you consider looking at a power amp?

-D

• Members

dude, keep your amp. if you can't get good tone at lower volumes with that amp, get an attenuator.

alternately, if you just want something you can jam out by yourself with you can get a POD and plug in some headphones. a DRRI combo is not going to be some uber quiet little amp.

Also a great suggestion, if you liked the tonelab, the headphones also work there.

-D

• Members

Maybe I'll give the Tonelab another try.... I didn't like the fact that I had almost TOO many variables, and dialing in a good tone was a bitch sometimes. I usually ran my fuzz and tubescreamer outboard because of the way the Tonelab has so much stuff stacked in the preamp section.

Now where's the pitcher of margaritas??

• Members

And thats comming from serious cat. Cuz hes {censored}ing serious.

lol..

But yeah there is no reason to downsize your speaker cab, unless you lug it around alot.

-D

Speaking of cats, the tiger-cub lamp my oldest daughter brought back with her from Louisiana is sitting on top of the amp, and slides around when I play... You can barely see it in the pic.

I guess a 100 watt, EL-34-driven half-stack as my first real amp has spoiled me..

• Members

Speaking of cats, the tiger-cub lamp my oldest daughter brought back with her from Louisiana is sitting on top of the amp, and slides around when I play... You can barely see it in the pic.

I guess a 100 watt, EL-34-driven half-stack as my first real amp has spoiled me..

man, i gotta be honest...based on what you're saying here, you're never going to be happy with a low power amp. you like the way speakers move air to much to be satisfied with anything else.

• Members

/thread. Right on the money.

• Members

Spend $399 buy the HT-5 Combo. Play that, when no one is around play the half stack. I mostly play the HT-5 and when i'm feeling frisky i turn on the 5150 . I'm going to be playing with other people soon but i've enjoyed this setup.

• Members

The Blackstar HT-5 is a 5 watt amp head (also in combo form) that sounds damn good at relatively low volumes and can also get pretty loud if you need to (although, forget about headroom). It's also very cheap at $300.

Oh and sorry for the left-field comment, but that carvin would look 100x better with some white chickenhead knobs... :idk:

• Members

The Blackstar HT-5 is a 5 watt amp head (also in combo form) that sounds damn good at relatively low volumes and can also get pretty loud if you need to (although, forget about headroom). It's also very cheap at $300.

Oh and sorry for the left-field comment, but that carvin would look 100x better with some white chickenhead knobs...
:idk:

Really? Except for dusting off the innards, I've not done a thing to this amp except play it..

Will check out the Blackstar, too.

• Members

Keep the amp you might have a use for it one day. Like recording. I myself don't play any of stacks currently. I am not in a band and they just sit there. But I have a tube combo amp that I play everyday but I will never sell my halfstacks I know they will come in use.

Archived