Combo Amp to 4x12 speaker cab

cameront19

• Members

Hello, I'm new to the forums, and this may be a typical noobie question, but It'd be pretty cool it I can do this.

I just bought an Orange Crush 30R. I love the sound of this amp, and would like to use it at my band practice. I have a Fender Frontman 100 watt head and 412 cab that I use there. Can I use the combo amp in place of the head? The Orange combo has a Line out, and I figured I could just connect it to the cab through there? I really hope so... I'd love to use it at practice, and we have no P.A. to mic it with.

• Members

The Line Out on the Orange Crush will not be of high enough signal to run the 4x12 cab.

If your Fender Frontman has an effects loop, connect the Line Out of the Orange Crush to the Effect Return. Connect the speaker output/s of the Frontman to the 4x12.

Plug in to the Orange's amp input, and play!

• Members

Sure, the first thing you need to do is make sure that you have a SPEAKER output on the combo. This is different than a line out. If you have a speaker output jack, see what impedence it is. It should say 2,4, 8, or 16 ohms somewhere near the jack. Also check the impedence on your 4-12" cabinet. It also should say probably 8 or 16 ohms. The BEST scenario is that your output impedence and your cabinet impedence are a perfect match, but you CAN run with a slight mismatch, say an 8 ohm out to a 16 ohm cab, but it is really rough on the amp. Another option might be to run from your line out into the front ed or effects loop return on your Fender head, if it has one. Be very careful and turn all gains and volumes down when plugging up.

I'm sure others on here can chime in about the impedence mismatch etc.

• Members

For what you are describing you would need an external Cab output. Some combo amps have them, your's doesn't seem like it does.

But that amp seems like it would be perfect for practice for it's size. Do you really need a 4X12 cab for practice?

• Members

For what you are describing you would need an external Cab output. Some combo amps have them, your's doesn't seem like it does.

But that amp seems like it would be perfect for practice for it's size. Do you really need a 4X12 cab for practice?

Well, the thing is, our other guitarist does, so I have to have something to keep up with him. Someone said something earlier about an effects loop? I'm really not sure how to know if I have one. I've been playing for years, but I'm just starting to get big into the tech and tinkering behind everything.

• Members
Hello, I'm new to the forums, and this may be a typical noobie question, but It'd be pretty cool it I can do this.

I just bought an Orange Crush 30R. I love the sound of this amp, and would like to use it at my band practice. I have a Fender Frontman 100 watt head and 412 cab that I use there. Can I use the combo amp in place of the head? The Orange combo has a Line out, and I figured I could just connect it to the cab through there? I really hope so... I'd love to use it at practice, and we have no P.A. to mic it with.

Run the speaker leads to the 4x12 instead of to the internal speaker.

Archived