Listen to new Mastodon album on myspace

cobrahead1030

• Members

dude are those scion rock fest pics??? i was there, and it was totally {censored}ing amazing!!!!

brent played that 12 string on almost everything, from some of the new stuff, to Hearts Alive (yes, even on the solo!), to Iron Tusk. sounded {censored}ing BADASS!!!!!!

Man that's awesome, Hearts Alive is hands down my favorite Mastodon song. They opened with it when they were touring to support that album and I was floored that a somewhat unknown band at the time would OPEN their set with a 14 minute EPIC.

• Members

Yeah...its his First Act 12 string. It is actually a really {censored}ing nice guitar. Their custom shop has stepped it up a lot! Bill's Custom FA is a nine string same as Matt Pikes.

Gatdamn, even since I saw that Matt Pike 9 string I've been looking for a double cut that looks like it, bad ass shape. Can't find anything in lefty though.

• Members

Gatdamn, even since I saw that Matt Pike 9 string I've been looking for a double cut that looks like it, bad ass shape. Can't find anything in lefty though.

Yeah Matt's First Act is killer! When we played with them the last time around I got to take a nice look at it. Plays like butter! and tuned really cool.

DSC00703.jpg

Contact FA's Custom shop I bet they could make a lefty.

• Members
Yeah Matt's First Act is killer! When we played with them the last time around I got to take a nice look at it. Plays like butter! and tuned really cool.

DSC00703.jpg

Contact FA's Custom shop I bet they could make a lefty.

I'm sure they could... $$$$$$$$$$ haha. Maybe someday. Though Heritage makes a double cut that looks a lot like that, and would probably be cheaper... Ah I have too many guitars as it is though.

• Members

I'm just finishing my first listen. It usually takes me a few listens to REALLY get into any album, but I can say that I'm loving it so far. Great melodies are all over the place, the singing is WAY better than anything they've ever done. Just a top notch production from top to bottom. :thu:

• Members

I started a new thread on this earlier, whoops! :cop:

Anyway, yeah, it usually takes me a couple listens to really get into an album, especially any somewhat proggy stuff, but this is just incredible. I want to see this live.

• Members

I'm such a dumbass. I thought this album was already out so I drove all over town trying to find it last night. Then I realized that I'm old because I'm searching for a CD instead of looking for the FLAC online. :facepalm:

I really like the direction they're going in.

• Members
I respect that they're doing something different all the time and not just rehashing their stuff or selling out like SOAD did but I don't like the singing at all. It's cheesy.

Older stuff is far better. Proggy but really heavy.

How is the singing cheesy? It's much better than grunting or screaming though the whole thing. :p

• Members
How is the singing cheesy? It's much better than grunting or screaming though the whole thing.
:p

Where did I say I exclusively liked grunting and screaming? I like whatever makes the music sound better as a whole. There's more singing on the last couple of albums but it was incorporated well. (sleeping giant? Capillarian Crest?)

Now the singing is too high in the mix (and gayer) so regardless of what is happening in the actual music a lot of it is overshadowed by whiny cheesy nonsense.

Maybe I need to give it more of a chance but if you go from writing songs like march of the fire ants and the wolf is loose to basically not writing songs as good as that - you fail.

It's not like I can't appreciate the proggy-ness of it either as they've always been pretty off the wall.

I won't write off their new album just yet but from what I've heard so far when I download it those tracks will be deleted immediately.

• Members

ya know these guys could have no vocals at all and still be amazing

March of the Fireants is impossible to top tho, that song is just brilliant

The new album would definitely be better without all the gay vocals but I still don't reckon it's as good as their earlier stuff - it speaks for itself.

Archived