OT: Sound dampening a garage (cops keep coming)

JnBroadbent

• Members

Have any you guys made a an attempt to lower outside volumes of your jam spots? We are thinking about making a room within a room (but filled with cotton batting rather then r13 or something) It's supposed to be a great and cheap way to quiet things down.

I know this is hard to achieve, it's just the garage door itself is a sorta old crappy, thin wooden door and sounds like it's open when we are jamming. Old {censored}ers next door always bitchen n {censored}.

Anyways, what have you guys done?

On a budget of course.

• Members

im so glad i dont have to deal with that {censored}.

though i bet if i had a band in my garage i probably would lol

thick old layered blankets? but then nobody ever really has a {censored} ton of blankets to hang up on a grage door :idk:

• Members

If you are not against going somewhere else...
Have everyone chip in and rehearse in a storage unit. Get a converter to put on the light bulb outlet to make it an electrical outlet as well..
I did this for about a year. Worked out a lot better than a garage with complaining neighbors.
Somewhat secluded storage place with night access is helpful.

If not, a room within a room may be your best bet.

• Members

and thats what we are planning

Steel framing ( cheaper than wood ) Ramset em in the floor, then 3-4 sheets of drywall, 2-3 sheets of soundboard ( sound choice ) is the best, then throw foam or carpet over that and drapes can be added which also really helps.

My room cost about a grand, not counting labor, but I can practice with a full band at midnight, and no one can hear anything more than a faint sound of bass guitar..

And we are loud.

Seperate door in, and you have to block off the garage door with a wall as well, thats the weakest wall in the room...

Im a contractor so Ive got the tools and the know how, and Ive done a few of them over the years, but like I said, walls within walls are the way.

Do it once, and have a safe place for a long time...

• Members

Adding foam doesnt lower volume like a lot of people think, its there to absorb certain frequencies and stop natural reverb hence making the acoustics of a room better.

The only way to stop volume is mass. Brick walls and concrete.

Yea, foam is more for the high end IN the room, not stopping the sound so much outside the room...

Archived