How do greenabcks + gt75's sound in an X pattern?

JnBroadbent

• Members

Celestion's site says the 75s are 97db sensitivity and the Greenbacks are 98, which would actually make the Green the more efficient of the two, slightly.
:idk:

speaker sensitivity is kinda overrated to determine the real-world efficiency of a speaker, the standard test requires that the speaker be driven by 1 watt of power with a calibrated microphone placed 1 meter away of the system snd normally a continuous single tone is fed into the system.

That's all fine and good, but one you put a guitar amp through it, with a broad range of frequencies going through the speaker, things will change quite a bit. The higher wattage handling on the GT75's will make the speaker reproduce both the low and high end much tighter and louder than the GB and will definitely give you a impression that the 75 is a louder, more efficient speaker. The GB will compress some of the lows and highs and appear quieter in comparison.

But don't take my word for it, try it for yourself and let us know, who knows, you may like it.. but I sure didn't when I tried it. It pretty much sounded like a cab with 75s with a little bit of the GBs cutting through the mix.

• Members

The higher wattage handling on the GT75's will make the speaker reproduce both the low and high end much tighter and louder than the GB and will definitely give you a impression that the 75 is a louder, more efficient speaker. The GB will compress some of the lows and highs and appear quieter in comparison.

But don't take my word for it, try it for yourself and let us know, who knows, you may like it.. but I sure didn't when I tried it. It pretty much sounded like a cab with 75s with a little bit of the GBs cutting through the mix.

I'll buy that- frequency response matters as far as volume and its perception are concerned.

Plus, you actually did it. I've never mixed Greenbacks and 75s. V30s and 75s yes, but not Greenbacks, so I'm just guessing.

• Members

i stumbled across this thread and gotta say that I hated this combo (had it in a voodoo amps 4x12). it was fizzy, scooped, and kinda bland

I have another voodoo 4x12 with a g12h30 and hellatone 60L x pattern - now that is a combo - sounded huge, tight, cut like crazy, and worked for warm, big cleans up through heavy stuff.

i was using an 82 jcm 800 2203 through it that was hot rodded by Soldano. Also ran a Bad Cat Lil' 15 and Soldano Avenger 100 watt through both cabs and the g12h30 and 60L combo came out every time as the winner (especially when recording)

anyway, try it for the fun of it, but there are so many better X patterns out there. you might try and it and love it, but this is just my experience

gooooooood luckkkkk

• Members

i stumbled across this thread and gotta say that I hated this combo (had it in a voodoo amps 4x12). it was fizzy, scooped, and kinda bland

I have another voodoo 4x12 with a g12h30 and hellatone 60L x pattern - now that is a combo - sounded huge, tight, cut like crazy, and worked for warm, big cleans up through heavy stuff.

i was using an 82 jcm 800 2203 through it that was hot rodded by Soldano. Also ran a Bad Cat Lil' 15 and Soldano Avenger 100 watt through both cabs and the g12h30 and 60L combo came out every time as the winner (especially when recording)

anyway, try it for the fun of it, but there are so many better X patterns out there. you might try and it and love it, but this is just my experience

gooooooood luckkkkk

Cool dude. I"m running a Lee Jackson Gp1000 which sorta sounds like a boosted JCM sooo that's pretty close.

Any clips of said setup?

• Members

Hey, what's up man? Here are the instrumental tracks of 3 songs that I recorded with the jcm 800 and bad cat lil'15 - both the g12h30 and the hellatone 60L were miced and mixed together. guitars are a baja telecaster, gibson 335, and highway 1 with a mini humbucker in the neck

homepage.mac.com/kjamix/adl

password:

2gls1cup

all of the clips have parts that range from clean to super heavy - same cab and speakers the whole time

hit me up with any other question :thu:

• Members
Hey, what's up man? Here are the instrumental tracks of 3 songs that I recorded with the jcm 800 and bad cat lil'15 - both the g12h30 and the hellatone 60L were miced and mixed together. guitars are a baja telecaster, gibson 335, and highway 1 with a mini humbucker in the neck

homepage.mac.com/kjamix/adl

password:

2gls1cup

all of the clips have parts that range from clean to super heavy - same cab and speakers the whole time

hit me up with any other question
:thu:

The mix sounds awesome, guitars are lush and have awesome clarity.

But our styles are definitely different. :lol:

Im fact, I'm jealous. THis {censored} rules man, really good stuff.

• Members

Tell you what guys.

I'll take the DSL, set everything to noon, and do a V30/Greenback, Greenback/T75, and V30/T75 vid on each.

Probably do something clean, something a little crunchy, and something gainy.

What else have I got to do on a Saturday?

I don't give a {censored} what all the other forumites say about you...I think you're alright.

• Members
haha thanks man, that means a lot. too bad we got in a huge fight with our label and other labels thought the music wasn't mainstream enough
:freak:

life goes on. what kind of music do you play?? way heavy?? the end of "memento mori" gets pretttttty damn heavy
:wave:

{censored} them dude. I could listen to this stuff all day.

Not way heavy or anything, shred sorta stuff. Think Children of Bodom...

Which one is memento mori? They are just named 01, 02, 03...

• Members

It's track 2, the part after the bridge thingy, maybe 75% of the way through the clip.

Foxrox octron into the amp cranked and an ehx HOG with an expressioin pedal. way fun

thanks for the compliments, that means a lot - i gave that {censored} everything i haddddddd

that's cool you just scored some speakers on craigslist - that's the best way - just try the things out in person and see what works for you

• Members

this is exactly what it sounds like. i have that combination in my 1960a right now.

• Members

and the verdict is?

and its nice you can actually see the difference between the speakers themselves...

Welp, they sound much fuller but lack the mid grind the greenbacks have.

I gotta do some mic position tests tomorrow.

Mic'ing both speakers and blending would be great.

Archived