A/B/Y switcher

tdr

• Members

I just got a second amp to complement my rig, so now I need a switcher that will send the guitar signal to both amps at once. I am considering to buy the Morley ABY Switcher, this one: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Morley-ABY-Channel-Switcher?sku=150757

Anybody here with experience with the Morley? Are there any general issues with splitting a signal that should be considered? All comments appreciated!

• Members
I just got a second amp to complement my rig, so now I need a switcher that will send the guitar signal to both amps at once. I am considering to buy the Morley ABY Switcher, this one:

Anybody here with experience with the Morley? Are there any general issues with splitting a signal that should be considered? All comments appreciated!

If you just want to run them both at the same time just use a pedal with stereo/dual outs.

• Members

Thanks for the replies, guess I should avoid the Morley.

I really like the Whirlwind Selector:

Looks cool, unfortunatel not available in Europe, atleast not at a place near me.:cry:

If you just want to run them both at the same time just use a pedal with stereo/dual outs.

Don't have one, plus I think the ability to switch between amps comes in handy, for example at a soundcheck to give levels to FOH.

• Members
Thanks for the replies, guess I should avoid the Morley.

Looks cool, unfortunatel not available in Europe, atleast not at a place near me.
:cry:

Don't have one, plus I think the ability to switch between amps comes in handy, for example at a soundcheck to give levels to FOH.

I just do my amps separately back and forth until the two amps are pretty well matched thru the mains.

• Members

I just do my amps separately back and forth until the two amps are pretty well matched thru the mains.

Right, but there will be no going back and forth if I just plug into an stereo fx pedal, or am I missing something? I guess one could plug/unplug each side manually, by plugging the cable, but I doubt that the noise this would cause would be appreciated.

• Members
might work for you though, give it a shot. Like I said, A/B/Y'ing with my Laney VC-30 and either of my other amps and I have noise issues, eliminate the Laney and A/B/Y with the other two and it is dead silent.

I've got a Mesa Mark III and a Peavey Ultra Plus fwiw, although I might throw my Laney LC-15R in there sometimes.

• Members

i use a radial bigshot for a combination of amps and its worked great, low noise but on the odd switch there is a "slight" pop.

Thanks for the tip, looks like the box has the features I want plus it is priced right. Hm, only thing is that it is not available at my local dealer, would have to order from somewhere else. I want/need the box soon, don't know what I will do.

• Members
Right, but there will be no going back and forth if I just plug into an stereo fx pedal, or am I missing something? I guess one could plug/unplug each side manually, by plugging the cable, but I doubt that the noise this would cause would be appreciated.

I now have separate kill footswitches on each signal to the amp. But when I didn't I just hit standby on the amp that I wanted to kill back/forth a few times until I had them pretty equal.

• Members

Thanks for the tip, looks like the box has the features I want plus it is priced right. Hm, only thing is that it is not available at my local dealer, would have to order from somewhere else. I want/need the box soon, don't know what I will do.

If you have a tuner, most of them have dual outs, although one probably is a thru and won't mute the signal when tuning. But it would get you by.

• Members

But when I didn't I just hit standby on the amp that I wanted to kill back/forth a few times until I had them pretty equal.

:idea:

Ah, got it, totally missed that option, but this is great advice. Considering this I might get a simple splitter by Lehle. Their stuff is suppposed to be top notch quality wise.

If anybody else is interested, here is their website:http://www.lehle.com/

• Members
Avoid the Morley, there are plenty of better options out there.

www.loop-master.com
for one

Phase/noise issues are possible.

I have a loopmaster ABY and it works beautifully between my QR and my Plexi, but between my QR and my Laney it is quite noisy.

let me clarify this statement, the loopmaster aby is not the source of my noise!!!!!! :facepalm:

Archived