Blackstar HT-5 cabinet options.. Please help!

dimner

• Members

Okay, I know the obvious choice is the blackstar cab, but i would like to look into other options as well.

I am a complete cabinet rookie, so I'm putty in your hands.

What i am looking for is something that will do good blues, classic rock and occasional metal. I don't care if it's 1x12, 2x12, 2x10. I do not want a 4x10.

I will be using a MIM strat and a Michael Kelly Patriot Custom.

This is just for bedroom/den playing and recording. I can crank it in the day, but mostly it will be a medium volume.

Also, I am not adverse to used gear and swapping speakers. Hopefully that is enough info to get some suggestions, at least this is what is usually asked in other posts I have read.

Thanks and in advanced, you guys are spot on with suggestions.

• Members

I was curious as well. If I get the Blackstar HT-5 head I would ask this same question. I am looking at 1/12 cabs. So far I came across the Blackheart and Valve jr 12" cabs. affordable and would probably throw in a Celestion or Weber later. MF has them both.

• Members

I own a HT-5 and play through two 1x12 Blackstar cabs. It's OK, soundwise, if you use it for home practice or maybe band practice. I occasionally run it through my Bogner 4x12.. that's a different world. Sounds great! I ran it through a Engl 2x12 (V30 speakers) cab, which was also very good.

IMO, a 2x12 would be best for this amp. I'd go for V30 speakers, but that's just my taste. Buy a decent cab, though.. I'm thinking Orange or Engl on a medium budget. Bogner or Diezel are nice, but expensive..

• Members

tried one at the dc ampfest- honestly, it sounded good through everything i tried it through. a 412 fulla blackbacks, a mesa thiele with a cl80, through an open back with an emi gb128...

to be honest-- i didn't find it super adjustable with it's eq in any particular direction- so season to taste-- but it really does sound good any way you use the damn thing!

• Members

I know you aren't interested in 410s but my HT-5 smokes through a used 1965B cab I picked up that's been detuned by removing two of the 10s...

It's currently running in 16ohms in this pattern:

O X

X O

And sounds amazing. The cab cost $150. If you can grab a 210 cab with decent speakers it does a nice job covering all the bases and is a compact package. The Blackstar cabs with 10s are meh.

Of course I'm a big fan of pumping this thing through 10s b/c it balances out the fact 90% of my other amps have 12s.

For a great all around 12 you might want to try a greenback...to save some dough you can go through warehouse speakers and pick up "broken-in" greenback clones that do a nice job. If you're feeling adventurous you can try a 212 with a V30 and a GT-75

• Members

Thanks for the replies, I think I am going to go with a Vintage 2x12 avatar cab loaded with Hellatone 30's. Which are broken in Celstion G12H30's.

I think i am going to go with open back. I will be calling Avatar to see what they think about this choice for this application.

Any thoughts on this choice are very welcome. thanks again.

• Members

this

dude, you stole my avatar - change it immediately. I'm hated here and you don't want to be mistaken for me.

to the OP. I have used the valve jr cab and it's ok, but I recently changed the OT in my HT-5 to a universal allowing me to run all types of cab loads.

I've hooked into a 212 lopo cab with weber silver bells and it's RAWK! can get total Orange-y sounds now especially with the brit voicing and medium gain.

It gets VERY loud too btw

Archived