Best keyboard for songwriting and potentially performing?

seattleswiss

• Members

I realize you can't have it all, but I'm trying to find the best keyboard for $700 to $1700 for songwriting and potentially performing. I am trying to record an "EP" with 2-3 songs and plan on using a Yamaha grand to do this; however I do want a nice-sounding piano for home use and, if I have any luck with the "EP", playing some low-key gigs. I really only need good acoustic piano sounds as I no longer play jazz and need elec. pianos; I also am not interested in doing any mixing or computer stuff at all; I prefer to keep my sound organic and am willing to pay $75 to have a friend-of-a-friend record using their Macbook and equipment, etc. However, in keeping with this "organic" focus it's really important to me to have a deep, rich piano sound (as opposed to an OK piano but with thousands of other voices).

My question is: what's the best "stage" piano for my proposed uses?

Here's what I've tried so far:

I used to have the Yamaha P-140, which I loved to play at home, but apparently it doesn't have a 1/4" output, which would be necessary for gigs, etc. It did however come with its own speakers which would save me some cash, but also renders it a bit amateur, I'm assuming.

I tried the Roland RD-300 GX but the action felt too light and flimsy.

I tried the RD-700 (SX?) which had *amazing* action and piano sounds, but was a bit expensive (~$2200). On top of this remember I'd have to get an amp of some sort which will add another $300-400 on top of the piano price.

I've tried the Yamaha S-90 which also sounds great, but do I really need all of its synth capabilities?

I tried the M-Audio ProKeys 88, which has a great price (~$600) but the piano voice and action really suck.

I'm tempted to go back to what I know (Yamaha P-140), but am really getting frustrated. Should I just deal with the Roland RD-300 GX's crappy action, but nice voicings? Or are there others I should be considering? Maybe the Yamaha P70 or P85?

Thanks very much in advance; this is a crucial decision for me in my music career!

• Members

I play a Yamaha MM-6. It's build like a $59 toy, but the tech is great. In my limited shopping experience, unless you get a console-type "electric piano", you're going to get a billion different sounds--there's no way around it. I don't know what your performance intentions are, but the MM-6 has played local gigs with me, and I'd maybe even take it on short tours with some preferential seating and a decent case. I'd give it a try in person to see if you like the piano sound, but the organs and electric keyboards (really the only sounds I use) go over pretty well, and I've had a knowledgeable observer praise the string sounds. And it comes in at the very bottom of your price range.

Archived