Cobra through G12K100

monkeysuit

• Members

Anyone tried a Cobra through a G12K100 loaded cab by chance?

I'm looking for a cab that sounds great with both my maps (Cobra/Herbert). The VHT Fatbottom I have at the moment sounds great with the Cobra but I prefer the Herbert through V30s which the Cobra doesn't like that much. Would the K100 be a good choice, I read of several ppl who love them with the Herbie but I didn't come across one to test yet?

• 2 months later...
  • Members

sorry, dead thread.

but anyhowitzer, I was just searching google, yet again, for any real world/"some mutha phukka who actually put them in his Cobra and it didn't blow it up and it still sounds fine" information about putting kt88 tubes in the Cobra...and somehow this thread popped up.

I actually own a contemporary Avatar 2x12 with the Celestion G12k100's in it, and yes, it sounds fantastic with the cobra. Especially when you have another 2x12 next to it with some other kind of speaks in it. My other one had g12t-75's which actually didn't sound half bad with the Cobra (a cool percussive attack when played by themselves, but without enough low end saturation), but one of them had a slight tear in it, and the SPL's were a little to far off from the G12k-100's, so I took the 75's out, and installed a couple of Eminence Texas Heats in it. I have only had the chance to play the Texas Heats with the Cobra once, and it was by themselves in their respective 2x12 without the G12k-100 loaded Avatar next to it. They actually sounded pretty damn good by themselves (they are new, and I can tell need some break in time though). And 2 of them definitely can take the power because they can handle a combined 300 watts.

I really want to try out a set of those Jensen Jet Electric Lightnings and see how they rumble with the Cobra pushing them. There is a company that I found on ebay called SonsetBeach that makes very nice looking cabs for a reasonable price, and the last time I checked, they were offering these specific Jensens instead of the WGS's that are standard for no extra charge. For those of you unfamiliar with these Jensens, they are supposed to sound like "what a Vintage 30 would sound like if it sounded good". haha...I think they sound good as they are...so these Jensens must be extra special neato then.

But anyhow, the kt88 search is killing me, and I think I might just sell them. Or I could just go for it. My emails from Framus said it is OK to do, too. Yeah..maybe I will be the one who makes the ultimate sacrifice for the Cobra owning society of the international planetary league of chunk maestros....So, if I do install them, with just a bias mod and nothing else, YOU ALL WILL HEAR WHAT HAPPENS FIRST!!!

• 1 month later...
  • Members

But anyhow, the kt88 search is killing me, and I think I might just sell them. Or I could just go for it. My emails from Framus said it is OK to do, too. Yeah..maybe I will be the one who makes the ultimate sacrifice for the Cobra owning society of the international planetary league of chunk maestros....So, if I do install them, with just a bias mod and nothing else, YOU ALL WILL HEAR WHAT HAPPENS FIRST!!!

looking forward to this if you do it. :snax:

• Members

If Framus says it's ok, I don't know why you're worried, I would give them a shot. However, you may find that amp sounds better with EL34. KT88 have a really cool extended frequency range and tightened lowend, but add an almost "hi fi" quality to an amp IME. The Cobra may actually benefit more from the raw midrange growl of a good set of EL34.

• Members

If Framus says it's ok, I don't know why you're worried, I would give them a shot. However, you may find that amp sounds better with EL34. KT88 have a really cool extended frequency range and tightened lowend, but add an almost "hi fi" quality to an amp IME. The Cobra may actually benefit more from the raw midrange growl of a good set of EL34.

this

that's why I forgot about trying 6550's right after my amp arrived :thu:

• Members

i used to run a cobra through a Mode Four 400 cab with the G12K100 and it had a very deep low end on the crunch channel. you could really go overboard with the eq with those speakers but i ended up replacing getting a dragon cab which i thought sounded better (tighter low end) until i tried the greenbacks

• Members

Finally got to hear a KT88 loaded Cobra last weekend. In fact I forgot to text Ans about it. Hopefully he reads this thread :lol: JJ E34L's and Ruby BSTR's are the ONLY way to go on the Cobra...not even going to throw in IMO...they are the ONLY ways to go. Tight and Huge low end...go with E34L's. Cut and aggression...go with Rubys. JJ and Sovtek KT88's killed the beautiful cleans of the amp and made the high's and presence knobs barely useable.

Archived