blew my head up! how to fix?

lightninglicks

• Members

hi i blew up my line 6 spider II head a while back ... not sure if it was because i was running the cab wrong ... but anyway i got some fuses and it still didn't work so if i an recall correctly i believe someone told me that is could have been the transformer ? well i have it open I'm looking inside and i know next to nothing about electronics i can't see anything wrong but then i wouldn't know a transformer if it shocked my ass into unconsciousness so does neone know how i may be able to fix this ?

• Members

hi i blew up my line 6 spider II head a while back ... not sure if it was because i was running the cab wrong ... but anyway i got some fuses and it still didn't work so if i an recall correctly i believe someone told me that is could have been the transformer ? well i have it open I'm looking inside and i know next to nothing about electronics i can't see anything wrong but then i wouldn't know a transformer if it shocked my ass into unconsciousness so does neone know how i may be able to fix this ?

there are two possibilities here:

1. a tech can fix it for a reasonable fee

2. it would be cheaper to buy another line 6 amp

you can't fix it, don't risk electrocuting yourself.

• Members

happened to mine when i had one. The {censored}er would sound funny until i hit it, then it would sound normal for a few minutes and then get worse until i hit it again.

After the tech called line6, all he replaced were the ribbon wires, and it fixed it all up.

• Members

tried to plug into a cab again but no luck
looking at the electronics i can now see what burnt up ..
it's on the board connected to the heat sink and it looks like it was a black pot on the left side that blew...is this the output transistor you are talking about?

• Members

Your line 6 head fried? So what's the problem again?

• Members

It's a solid state amp. DC rails are probably 40v +/-

Sounds like the output IC is blown. Look for the chip on the heatsink that has staggered pins. May be a TDA7294 or some number like that.

Or pay 90-$100 to get the Spider fixed.

Archived