Warren Haynes Tones :thu:

jimijam

• Members

Listening to a Dead Show recorded 4/28/09 and Warren's tone is amazing!!!

Anyone know what type of gear he could be using for these shows?

His tone has that perfect Overdrive that is just on the verge of breakup :love:

Sounds like a Fender amp to me... However I would not be suprised if they have him using Jerry's old rig hahahaa

I think Warren is one of the most under-rated guitarist around.

Rates high in my book as one of the best 'old school' guitarists out there. Tours his ass off... Always playing shows somewhere.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

He's jumped to a few different amps over the years.

Usually when he's with the Allman Brothers he uses old Marshalls and when he's with Gov't Mule he uses modified Soldanos. Pretty sure his cabs use a mix of ceramic and alnico speakers, too, which I'm sure contributes a lot.

• Members

He's jumped to a few different amps over the years.

Usually when he's with the Allman Brothers he uses old Marshalls and when he's with Gov't Mule he uses modified Soldanos. Pretty sure his cabs use a mix of ceramic and alnico speakers, too, which I'm sure contributes a lot.

His Marshalls are new. He no longer uses the Soldano as it was replaced a few years ago with a Diaz amp. It does look like for the Dead tour Warren has Fender amps on stage.

• Members

His Marshalls are new. He no longer uses the Soldano as it was replaced a few years ago with a Diaz amp. It does look like for the Dead tour Warren has Fender amps on stage.

Yeah I am thinking Fender because it has that clean to it... sounds very Jerry-ish to it

I know Jerry used a Twin Reverb pre-amp section that was sitting in a crate, just the pre-amp and that went thru McIntosh tube power Amps pushing massive wattages - crazy hippy! hahaha

• Members

Whoa... I had no idea Warren was playing with teh Dead!

As for his tone, no matter what his sausage-like fingers are hooked up to, it's always impeccable! :thu:

Vastly underrated musician, not just a guitarist!

Gibson should use Warren and Joe Bonamassa in a Les Paul commercial.

• Members

The two times I saw him he used the SLO together with the Diaz

Giga.

• Members

Big fan...would love to check a Dead show with him in the lineup.
:thu:

The Dead Live at Izod Center on 2009-04-29

http://www.archive.org/download/thedead2009-04-29.jwmod.akg.ck69.v2.sd722.suraci.sbeok.flac15/thedead2009-04-29.jwmod.akg.ck69.v2.sd722.suraci.sbeok.flac15_vbr_mp3.zip

There is a pretty recent show... weed out the ballads :-/

http://www.archive.org/details/TheDead - other shows

All free to download so I like that part! :thu:

• Members

Giga.

Yeah, it's trying to hit a moving target, he rotates gear very regularly it seems. And when it's not amps, it's cabinets. I've seen him with Marshalls, Engls, Tone Tubbys, you name it. I'm sure he does the same with stomp boxes too.

My SLO with the Warren Haynes mod on and my Strat can get like 75% of the way there on the Warren Haynes tone. But, my fingers sadly lack the abilities that his do. That's where most of his tone comes from.

• Members

Yeah, it's trying to hit a moving target, he rotates gear very regularly it seems. And when it's not amps, it's cabinets. I've seen him with Marshalls, Engls, Tone Tubbys, you name it. I'm sure he does the same with stomp boxes too.

My SLO with the Warren Haynes mod on and my Strat can get like 75% of the way there on the Warren Haynes tone. But, my fingers sadly lack the abilities that his do. That's where most of his tone comes from.

He used a Marshall cab both times which probably was a rental because it was in Holland. Last time for sure he also used a real lesliecabinet and he had the Klon on the board both times. Not sure about other pedals.

Giga.

• Members

Giga.

I saw him last november, and I believe he had a SLO on a Category 5 cab, and the Diaz on a Tone Tubby cab (with a Fender Reverb unit on top).

• Members

Fenders the last time I saw him, before that it was usually a slo/diaz setup

March09%2B123%2BThe%2BDead.JPG

I listened to most of the Dead show and 100% Fenders to my ears.

I kind of wish he used something with more hair on it for that set but I can understand Warren wanting to tone it down for a Dead show

• Members

I saw Warren on an acoustic tour and it was crazy...him and an acoustic and it was magical. He could come out with anything and bring the tone.

Yeah, seeing artists like that play acoustic really exemplifies just how {censored}ing amazing they are. I saw Clapton last summer and the parts of his set where it was just him and an acoustic were the most breathtaking.

Reminds me of a Gibson advertisement I saw a few years ago. It was a first-person view standing on a stage looking out over a huge crowd of people. The only thing on the stage were a stool, an SM58, and an acoustic on a stand. The tagline was "No Distortion to Cover Your Ass. Gibson Guitars." I thought it was pretty brilliant.

• Members

Yeah, seeing artists like that play acoustic really exemplifies just how {censored}ing amazing they are. I saw Clapton last summer and the parts of his set where it was just him and an acoustic were the most breathtaking.

Reminds me of a Gibson advertisement I saw a few years ago. It was a first-person view standing on a stage looking out over a huge crowd of people. The only thing on the stage were a stool, an SM58, and an acoustic on a stand. The tagline was "No Distortion to Cover Your Ass. Gibson Guitars." I thought it was pretty brilliant.

So true

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I don't get why people say he's underrated. I don't think I've ever heard a bad thing about him and everyone is always praising his skills, tone, musicianship, you name it. He seems rated pretty HIGHLY to me.

• Members

I don't get why people say he's underrated. I don't think I've ever heard a bad thing about him and everyone is always praising his skills, tone, musicianship, you name it. He seems rated pretty HIGHLY to me.

Probably has something to do with the fact that outside of the guitar community, not many people know who he is.

• Members

Probably has something to do with the fact that outside of the guitar community, not many people know who he is.

Then that would be "unknown" or "unheard of" or "under-appreciated" maybe, not "underrated". :idea:

Archived