My amp started smoking

blueduck577

• Members

I was playing through my Peavey Classic 50 today, at a very moderate volume, when I noticed a smell kind of like fish tackle. I had no idea what it was but several seconds later i noticed a plume of smoke coming out from the back of the amp.

It was still making sound, albeit a bit crackly.

I immediately turned the amp off. I am scared to turn it back on. What could the problem be?

• Members

If your amp is smoking then more than likely there is a capacitor or resister burnt out. Or the tubes could be going. If you know how to use a screw driver you can easily take the amp apart and your going to want to look for any charred/burnt areas. If the PCB is burnt you're pretty much {censored}ed, if it's only a fuse or another small part take it to a music shop that you trust(and has a good reputation and will stand behind their work) and hope for the best. If you're going to be working on you amp PLEASE make sure it is un-plugged and that the tubes have been removed (wait approximately 1-2 hours before doing this if they are still hot/warm to the touch). I wish you the best of luck and I really wanted to make a wise ass remark, but I shall not.

• Members

with the back opened up, I didn't notice any burn marks or anything, but the smell seems to have originated from the transformer. I guess I've found the problem...

How costly would a repair be? Also, do you think this has anything to do with my house not having grounded 3-prong outlets?

• Members

If your amp is smoking then more than likely there is a capacitor or resister burnt out. Or the tubes could be going. If you know how to use a screw driver you can easily take the amp apart and your going to want to look for any charred/burnt areas. If the PCB is burnt you're pretty much {censored}ed, if it's only a fuse or another small part take it to a music shop that you trust(and has a good reputation and will stand behind their work) and hope for the best. If you're going to be working on you amp PLEASE make sure it is un-plugged and that the tubes have been removed (wait approximately 1-2 hours before doing this if they are still hot/warm to the touch). I wish you the best of luck and I really wanted to make a wise ass remark, but I shall not.

If the PCB is burnt, they can usually be repaired. It's generally a case of cleaning up the PCB with solvents and a bit of wire. I've had to do it a couple of times but not on amps.

• Members

Fried something, maybe the circuit board or power tranny. Ouch that's gonna cost yea 10 points. It's just my guess but you may have cooked your power tubes as well. Has this thing ever been biased or the tubes replaced? How hard do you push your amp?

• Members

Did you happen to catch the smoke? Once that smoke gets out though its hard to get it back in.

Being HCAF, I assume you knew there would be a number of wise ass remarks, right?

Seriously though, Smoke from an amp is not good. I think its tech time.

• Members

Fried something, maybe the circuit board or power tranny. Ouch that's gonna cost yea 10 points. It's just my guess but you may have cooked your power tubes as well. Has this thing ever been biased or the tubes replaced? How hard do you push your amp?

Never had it biased or tubes replaced. I just bought it used just a few weeks ago, and it hasn't seen much use from me. I generally don't push it very hard but I had a gig a few days ago so I had it cranked up pretty high, but it worked at bedroom levels until today.

Also, one thing I noticed when I turned off the amp was the fan wasn't working. Upon further inspection, I found a loose screw in there. Maybe it shorted something out while it was jiggling around. 2 hours later, and the power transformer was still warm...

• Members

Never had it biased or tubes replaced. I just bought it used just a few weeks ago, and it hasn't seen much use from me. I generally don't push it very hard but I had a gig a few days ago so I had it cranked up pretty high, but it worked at bedroom levels until today.

Also, one thing I noticed when I turned off the amp was the fan wasn't working. Upon further inspection, I found a loose screw in there. Maybe it shorted something out while it was jiggling around. 2 hours later, and the power transformer was still warm...

I do a little work on amps mostly vintage Fender amps. I'm mot an expert on Peavey amps but I've heard that the handles can come loose and the screws or nuts will drop into the circuit board and fry the amps. I've know this to happen to at least 2 Classic 30's, my Bass player is a great Amp Tech and told me this. So if you have a loose screw in there better check things out.

• Members

Make it smoke a whole pack as a lesson.

Ya... shove a whole cigar in it's mouth and it will never want to smoke again (apparently that works... but I smoked a whole cuban between me and a friend when I was 15 and it wasn't bad...?)

• Members

They are fixed bias amps, so this could not be the problem. Could be the transformer or tubes. I replaced the tubes about 18 mos ago and after 3 mos I had a similar situation. It turned out to be the pre-amp tubes. Put the originals back in and it's been working fine ever since.

If you're unsure, take it to a reputable repair shop. They're great amps and worth the price to get it properly repaired.

Archived