Crate v5 owners opinions wanted

theAntihero

• Members
Hmm since i hated the VJ this is disturbing info. How was it worse?

Nothing's worse than the Valve Jr, IMO. However, they really took a huge step down when going from the V8 and V58 down to the V5. The V8 and V58 sound really good as far as 5 watters go. And they have more usable features.

• Members

Nothing's worse than the Valve Jr, IMO. However, they really took a huge step down when going from the V8 and V58 down to the V5. The V8 and V58 sound really good as far as 5 watters go. And they have more usable features.

I know the v8's are a better amp, and i agree with VJ quote. I can get a v5 for really cheap and im just wondering if its even worth the fifty bucks to screw with.

Someday im gonna pickup a v58...

• Members
I know the v8's are a better amp, and i agree with VJ quote. I can get a v5 for really cheap and im just wondering if its even worth the fifty bucks to screw with.

Someday im gonna pickup a v58...

I know where a buck and a quarter will get you a clean USA V58.:thu:(plus a little shipping)

• Members
I know where a buck and a quarter will get you a clean USA V58.
:thu:
(plus a little shipping)

Hmm...... dont be suprised if you get a PM from me soon.

Anyway i ended up getting the v5, ill have it in a couple days and ill do a little review

• Members

I just bot a V5 for cheap...Just for kicks. Will a new speaker help at all, or just resell it? I have a Blackheart now so I don't really need it.

the speaker is the only real problem with the amp, a new one will bring it to life. but i like the v5 overall with a speaker swap. its good for a small basic clean amp for practice and it gets a nice yngwie tone with an overdrive pedal

• Members

I just bot a V5 for cheap...Just for kicks. Will a new speaker help at all, or just resell it? I have a Blackheart now so I don't really need it.

I got mine and can say with out a doubt it desperately needs a speaker swap. I tried it with another cab and the difference was phenominal.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

I finally got around to playing my V5 with a new Rajin' Cajin speaker. It made a world of difference. I only played it for about 10 minutes and switched to my Blackheart. Though the Rajin' Cajin sounded good, I could still feel something lacking...It was a 12" speaker. I plugged the V5 into the 1x12 Blackheart cab, and I was much happier. I guess I'm just not a 1x10 kinda guy. Going to sell the V5 now, anyway :(

• Members
Hmm since i hated the VJ this is disturbing info. How was it worse?

Never tried the V5 but I have both a V58 and V8 Palomino, as well as a Valve Jr and the Crates are in a class far above the Valve Jr as far as I'm concerned. Lots more usable features (amazing tone shaping control, effects loop, and a master volume for very usable lighter overdrive) Other than the Blackstar, it is my favorite budget 5 watter.

• Members

+1

its absolutely amazing how bad stock crate's speakers are

10x worse than bugera's stock speakers

Yea...When I pulled the stocker out, it was shiny plastic. Kinda like those red "Keg" cups you get at a party. And, i think the whole thing weighed about 1 pound. Totally discgacefull. The Rajin' Cajun weighed almost as much as the whole amp. It surley brings the rawk, though.

• 5 months later...

Archived