Help me choose a preamp.

Soeru

• Members

I've been researching pre's for a while and I've narrowed it down to these:

Peavey Rockmaster(oldschool 4-tube pre)

Digitech GSP1101 (modern modeling pre/guitar processor)

First and foremost, I'm looking for a good saturated metal sound(think Nile, they used the Rockmaster at some point), BUT I'm very tempted to a gsp1101 because of its effects and it seems to be way more versatile than the Rockmaster. I just need to know, are its amp models anywhere near as good as the Rockmaster for death metal? Is the gsp1101's EQ anywhere near as flexible as an analog/tube preamp?

I'd be using this direct (with cab impulses) for DI recording and most likely through a SS poweramp into a 2x12 or a 1x12.

I need some input! Thanks.

• Members

I guess compard to a modeler, teh rockmaster is less versatile, but that amp can cover a huge range. The clean and curnch channels are pretty good, IMO.

I just never used them since I'm a metal guy.

Ff1xCLQuy6k
Mine...

• Members

You may also want to consider a couple of tube pre's w/ built in FX.....anyone of the old 90's Digitechs...the 2101, 2112, and 2120 will work great. I play a combination of death, black and thrash metal, and I use a 2120 w/ a pair of 12AX7B 'Silver Dragon' tubes in it, and with all that available EQ, you can make that thing breath fire. I used to own a 2101 and it worked great as well. However, w/ the 2120 (and I think the 2112 as well), you can layer the internal tube and SS pre-amps for huge tones as well.

Another great unit to consider is the Peavey TubeFex. Basically a stripped down Rockmaster pre (2 tubes instead of 4), but with a {censored} ton of FX and EQ on board. Only downside with these is a noticable dropout when switching patches. Sux for live use, but in the studio it will give you killer tone, and the cab simulation is pretty good in that one too (the 2120 has cab simulation, but it's not the greatest)

• Members

Another vote for the Peavey Rockmaster. I'd say get that and a cheapy rack effects processor like the Roland GP-8. Great tone and effects on the cheapz.

Another suggestion I might make it to pick up a Voodoo Labs Preamp. It's gainy as hell, designed by Bogner and cooler than the Boomtown Rats.

• Members

You may also want to consider a couple of tube pre's w/ built in FX.....anyone of the old 90's Digitechs...the 2101, 2112, and 2120 will work great. I play a combination of death, black and thrash metal, and I use a 2120 w/ a pair of 12AX7B 'Silver Dragon' tubes in it, and with all that available EQ, you can make that thing breath fire. I used to own a 2101 and it worked great as well. However, w/ the 2120 (and I think the 2112 as well), you can layer the internal tube and SS pre-amps for huge tones as well.

Yeah I was considering the old gsp21xx series as well which I've been extremely impressed by (seen a lot of clips on yt) but I hear they take a reallly long time to learn how to use and that the preamp section has a weird midrange that's hard to dial in properly. I'm still keeping an eye on auctions though, they seem to go for quite cheap so I might change my mind at the last minute.

I've been looking at the other older older tube/FX processors from digitech(valve fx, gfx-1, etc) but I think the gsp1101 sounds way better than all of them(higher d/a conversion rates and just an all around more modern sound).

I don't want to sacrifice the main tone for a few extra effects but I just need to know if the gsp1101's amp models are comparable to the Rockmaster's ultra channel, because if it is, I'd rather have a 1 rack space unit for my whole sound that can be controlled with just one footswitch, instead of a preamp + fx processor/bunch of pedals that have to be controlled individually(considering the hardwire DL-8 and something else for modulation if I go with the Rockmaster).

But if the Rockmaster's main tone is better for metal I won't mind the inconvenience of having to use something separate for effects, I just need to know before I go and buy it.

Thanks for all the help!

• Members

I don't dig the ADA's... Well I think they're good but I like the sounds coming out of the rockmaster a lot more. I just need help deciding between the rockmaster or the 1101.

• Members
Oh so you're the guy in those videos.
:)
Killer tone and chops, I've already watched most if not all the clips of the rockmaster on YT though.
:p

Yeah I was considering the old gsp21xx series as well which I've been extremely impressed by (seen a lot of clips on yt) but I hear they take a reallly long time to learn how to use and that the preamp section has a weird midrange that's hard to dial in properly. I'm still keeping an eye on auctions though, they seem to go for quite cheap so I might change my mind at the last minute.

I've been looking at the other older older tube/FX processors from digitech(valve fx, gfx-1, etc) but I think the gsp1101 sounds way better than all of them(higher d/a conversion rates and just an all around more modern sound).

I don't want to sacrifice the main tone for a few extra effects but I just need to know if the gsp1101's amp models are comparable to the Rockmaster's ultra channel, because if it is, I'd rather have a 1 rack space unit for my whole sound that can be controlled with just one footswitch, instead of a preamp + fx processor/bunch of pedals that have to be controlled individually(considering the hardwire DL-8 and something else for modulation if I go with the Rockmaster).

But if the Rockmaster's main tone is better for metal I won't mind the inconvenience of having to use something separate for effects, I just need to know before I go and buy it.

Thanks for all the help!

Well...the 2112, and 2101 are alot easier to understand. The 2101 has more routing options though...like, the ability to put a noise gate before AND after the pre, or put a Whammy effect before the pre-amp (it just doesnt sound good post pre-amp)...I do miss that. But it can be kinda beastly to get used to programming. The later ones sounds slightly better, but give you a more user friendly set-up, at the expense of the somewhat more extensive routing.

That said, my 2120 is a breeze to program. Hell, each effect has template/starting pre-sets you can toggle through (and I mean like 10-15 for each individual effect, as in 10 for stereo chorus, 10 for mono chorus, 10 for quad chorus, etc.) whcih you can scroll through, and you can typically find a preset pretty close to what you want and tweak from there. Plus, you can even store your own, user-created favorite individual effects settings to instantly recall in other patches as well. Once you learn this, and use it to your advantage, you can create patches real quickly and easily in a 21xx unit.

If you've never owned a multi effects before, your gonna have a steep learning curve. If you have owned one before, you'll probably be able to suss it out sans manual and have good results. But, read the manual, and you can truly unlock those units.

As for 'weird midrange'....maybe. Actually, the pre-amp/gain structuresthemselves are fairly neutral in this pre....and for a reason...theres a TON of EQ options you can choose from, and mix and match however you see fit....10 band graphic EQ's upto a 31 band graphic EQ, 2, 4, and 6 band parametric EQ's, plus each patch has a it's own 'global EQ' for tweaking on the fly, and theres also a true Global EQ you can use to compensate overall tones for individual venues without needing to go back and retweek each individual patch you expect to use.

• Members
My vote would be the rockmaster. However a modded ADA Mp-1 is also very nice
:)

Or Both together. Trust me:thu:

Another good option on the cheap if you can find them is a lee jackson perfect connection preamp. There is one selling local here for $250 but I just dont have the scratch right now:facepalm:

Guest Anonymous

I've been researching pre's for a while and I've narrowed it down to these:

Peavey Rockmaster(oldschool 4-tube pre)

Digitech GSP1101 (modern modeling pre/guitar processor)

First and foremost, I'm looking for a good saturated metal sound(think Nile, they used the Rockmaster at some point), BUT I'm very tempted to a gsp1101 because of its effects and it seems to be way more versatile than the Rockmaster. I just need to know, are its amp models anywhere near as good as the Rockmaster for death metal? Is the gsp1101's EQ anywhere near as flexible as an analog/tube preamp?

I'd be using this direct (with cab impulses) for DI recording and most likely through a SS poweramp into a 2x12 or a 1x12.

I need some input! Thanks.

I would NOT buy a preamp other than an Axe-FX. It is a real b*tch finding the right power amp FOR YOU. Once you get one, you'll run yourself ragged and buy another one and regret selling the first etc. The only way I would get a triaxis, CAE, or something is if I was intending to go b*lls out and buy a VHT 2150 power amp. Otherwise it is setting you up for a long haul to disasterville. You'll become more of a pro buying equipment than you will becoming a pro playing the guitar.

Archived