NAD! Reeves Templar Dragon

Cliff Fiscal

• Members

Link to the specs

I was tempted to buy one of these new from Reeves when they were on sale for $399 a while back...but since NO ONE really had one....I passed. Recently, dmbluesguy put his up for sale here....and I couldn't resist.

The amp is an import and designed by reeves.

First off, holy {censored} this thing is loud. wow.

I thought my AC30BM was loud (same tube configuration)....but this thing is way way way louder. wow. painfully loud cranked up full.

The layout is the typical shared EQ format.......it really isn't a problem since I wasn't left wanting one channel EQ'd differently then the other. Of course, it would have been nice to have dual EQs. The clean channel has a single volume/gain type knob, and the dirt channel has a gain and volume controls. There's also a master volume.

With the clean volume cranked max, you can get a little break up, otherwise the clean channel is VERY clean.

The dirt channel is wonderful. Ballsy powerful distortion. It most certainly doesn't sound like EL84s. TONS of gain on tap.....I liked the gain backed off around 9pm. After that, it just gets thicker and fuzzier.....which would be great for leads. Otherwise, it's nice an crunchy. It really opens up with some volume on the master volume.

One little nit pick, the clean channel is WAY louder then the dirt channel at the same channel volume settings. That means with the master volume at half, the dirt channel volume at full....the clean channel volume is at a little past noon. Which means.....I can't crank the clean channel to get the break up AND have the dirt channel be the same volume. Minor....since it sounds great when I match the channel volumes......just have to crank the master volume to get the cleans to break up. Did I mention this amp was really loud and clean?

Pictures to follow.:o

• Members

If I have time.....I was definitely thinking about making clips since the site's clips are so {censored}ty.

The clean is much more chimey and sweet, and the dirt is more like the Orange AD30 I once had. Except, with a RAT for boost....I was getting some really crunchy early Metallica tones......without the boost.....Sabbath. :rawk:

• Members

Nice. I was very curious about these just because Reeves stuff is so killer. Those internally designed, externally manufactured amps are usually pretty good from boutique companies. Those guys don't have the mass following of Marshall or Mesa and really rely on their reputation to keep the business going. If they start putting their name on crappy items, it could be pretty devastating for business.

The guts very much look like a $400 Chinese amp, but I bet it sounds great.

• Members

Nice. I was very curious about these just because Reeves stuff is so killer. Those internally designed, externally manufactured amps are usually pretty good from boutique companies. Those guys don't have the mass following of Marshall or Mesa and really rely on their reputation to keep the business going. If they start putting their name on crappy items, it could be pretty devastating for business.

The guts very much look like a $400 Chinese amp, but I bet it sounds great.

You're right.....It does seem like Reeves spent a little more time then most of the design. The tones are a little higher quality then most of the cheapo amps these days. I compared it to the Vox AC4 combo I just picked up.....While the AC4 sounded good....the Templar was just so much better. The AC4 is going back today.

....because of the build quality $599 is too much. The tones are worth $599.....:love:

$300 or less is a good price for a cheap amp that does a lot more then most cheap amps and sounds better.

I will note that any shared EQ is a pain in the ass.:mad:

Archived