Reaper: Any Way to Adjust Volume On Different Parts of Same Track?

rushtallica

• Members

Hi. I just got through recording a quick sloppy but fun throwdown with the Revalver HP going through a Rotovibe and Bad Monkey pedals before the computer and like some of the sound I'm getting but have too much volume difference when kicking in the Roto for an intro and a mess of a sort of solo. :D

Is there any way to adjust the volume to different levels for when the Roto's on versus when off on the same track and save it that way? Thanks for any possible help. :cool:

• Members

To pull up the volume automation, hit v on your keyboard when you have that track selected. You'll see a yellow line appear of the wave forms of the track. That's your automation line. You can click on that line to create a point with which you can edit the volume of the track. So, to raise the volume of a certain part, I would make two points: one set at unity and the other one after the initial point that will raise the volume of the part you want. Just click and raise that second point to desired gain level and voila, you've got some volume automation. Then you can create another point after that to ramp the volume down for the next part. Hope that helps and makes sense.

• Members

Thanks again. :)

New question in case anyone might view thread again: Is there any way to insert an effect on only one part of the track? icon5.gif

The volume thing's pretty simple but I can't figure out any way to apply plugins to only the solo without having to record a separate track. There's MUCH for me to learn. :D

• Members

Thanks again.
:)

New question in case anyone might view thread again: Is there any way to insert an effect on only one part of the track?
icon5.gif

The volume thing's pretty simple but I can't figure out any way to apply plugins to only the solo without having to record a separate track. There's MUCH for me to learn.
:D

use automation again. setup the plugin, then automate the master bypass (or dry/wet level if it has one).

• Members

Alternatively (if Reaper can do it,) just automate the send level to the effect.

This is especially useful if you're using (for example) a global reverb and you want to keep all the other parts' reverb levels the same.

This is better advice if you can go this route. Almost anytime your using delay or reverb, you should be using a send and an aux track. Much more flexibility, and a better signal-flow practice.

• Members

Thanks for the advice~! I don't know if what I did earlier was part of automation or not and only noticed a way to control dB/volume with the created yellow lines (very helpful, BTW). But I noticed a section about automation in the manual and will definitely be reading up on it. This should be a big help on many things to come. Thanks again! :cool:

• Members

wow.. man that's a great tip.. i'm so mad i didn't discover that sooner! that manual's a beast-- that was a really clear and concise slam bang of a description. the manuals a little hard to grind through onscreen...

thanks for that!

• Members

I'll have to give this a shot... I have no idea how to automate effects :facepalm:

To further this questioning... is it possible to automate the parameters of effects? Like say, have a pitch shifter going on where the pitch changes over time, or changing delay times or the number of taps in a delay?

Archived