What to do?

Shteefe

• Members

I have a few problems that I am hoping to get some opinions on. I recently sold my jcm800 head and mesa cab for a chicago blues box roadhouse. The cleans on the roadhouse are out of this {censored}ing world, however, there is no distortion whatsoever. I have a very diverse style of play (from beatles, stones, STP, Bonamassa, Trucks, AiC, etc...). When the amp is pushed and has the harmonic boost on, it gets a lot of grit and becomes incredibly touch sensitive which I love, but do not see this amp as being a viable gigging amp for a diverse guy like myself. I do not want to get rid of an amp with such killer tone so I was hoping to get some ideas of killer pedals to fix my problem. I am a big fan of boutique handwired stuff since i got this amp and will never go back.

I was thinking about an arbiter fuzz and maybe a box of rock to help me out with leads and add some grind/dirt. Keep in mind that CBB amps are souped up blackface clones (this one being a boutique super reverb).

So if you guys have any advice on killer pedals to get me some dirt i'm all ears.

• Members

For the bands you described, probably the Crunch Box would be a good bet for a lot of it due to having the Marshally vibe but also having a fair amount of gain. The Box of Rock would also be nice though I think it'll probably have a little less available gain. It's hard to say, but maybe with the bit of grit your amp gets combined with the BOR, it may be plenty. I'm also not sure a fuzz face-style pedal's going to work that well for those bands, though it'd be fun to bust out some Hendrix on and may work out well for some other things. A Big Muff might also be something to check out.

You might try typing in the names of the various pedals on youtube just to kind of get a rough idea of what they're capable of. Good luck. :cool:

• Members

Thanks for the responses so far. Ill try to be a bit more specific this post. As of now i simply boost my amp with a ts9 but it just doesn't sound natural. It worked good with my 800 but not this one. With the fuzz pedal, i was wondering if that would work well along side an overdrive/distortion pedal to fatten up the tone. Im no guitar newb by any means, i just have little to no experience with boutique fenderish amps. Also, anybody think a treble booster would work on this type of amp?

thanks again

Archived