I found a real-life songwriting group!

Chicken Monkey

• Members

They meet once a month at a local bookstore. They set up a small PA in a back room, and each person has the opportunity to play either 2 songs, or one song and receive feedback. It conflicts with my Bell Choir rehearsal, so I didn't get to stay for the whole thing, but since I was new they let me up, and since I volunteered they had me go first. Pros and cons, as compared to our on-line group:

Pros:

Everybody seems to be more in-line with me genre-wise, probably because of the solo-performer format.

I get to network locally with people more (and less) experienced than me.

Cons:

They don't meet very often, and don't allow many songs due to their high turnout, so I can get one song a month up for review, whereas here I can do a song a day until rockinrobby starts complaining.

People are people, and a guy showed up wanting to play a few covers, which was awkward.

Reviewing a person face-to-face is more difficult than being and Internet Genius.

:idk:

It was fun--I'm going back, and would recommend you check your area. I got up and played two songs as an introduction, rather than get a review, and I'd have needed to have copies of my lyrics to pass out to get reviewed. I'll probably do that next time to see how helpful that is.

• Members

:mad:

What's up with this real world crap?!?

Aren't your old, virtual friends good enough anymore? The shadowy cyber-entities who've stuck by you through thick and thin-client?

:facepalm:

:D :D :D

PS... Bell choir rehearsal? Like where you strap bells on your ankles, wrists and ass and shake out tunes? Man... that calls for a video! :D

People are people, and a guy showed up wanting to play a few covers, which was awkward.

Just send me his phone number and I'll send him a PM through SMS... ;)

Anyhow, it sounds like a cool ticket. If there was something like that around here -- and you could get me to leave the house -- I'd do it for sure. Maybe.

• Members

I would be all over that. Before I was connected in my local scene, I used open mics for the same purpose. This was years ago. I still hang out with alot of them and we more or less do the same thing, although I think it would be more advantageous to do something like you mentioned. I wonder if I should set this up. hmmm

• Members

I live very near a folk music school in Chicago. I can walk there in 5-10 minutes. They have a songwriter's group the first Friday of each month. I think they charge $5 admission to it. I've never been to one. A fellow songwriting friend of mine has a couple of times and described it to me.

It's pretty much as CM describes - mostly solo folk style performers. One or two of them don't perform but instead play a cd of their song. My friend's material didn't go down so well as his music is more band-like stuff that doesn't come across in that setting. (That might be the case with my songs as well.)

I should probably go one month for the hell of it. I always forget that they even have it going on.

• Members

I live very near a folk music school in Chicago. I can walk there in 5-10 minutes. They have a songwriter's group the first Friday of each month. I think they charge $5 admission to it. I've never been to one. A fellow songwriting friend of mine has a couple of times and described it to me.

Old Town? I enjoyed many of their free programming when I was living in a one-bedroom apartment with 4 guys and had no money. That was before I hit my stride as a writer, and I couldn't have afforded admission anyways, but I was always impressed with the institution.

• Members

I had a drummer friend who, for some reason, got hooked up with a bell choir. He said sort of the same thing. (They used conventional, handled bells, but I think the did a Christmas thing where they used strap ons and did the shimmy thing. I guess I should have gone to see that one, anyhow. ;) )

• Members

Old Town? I enjoyed many of their free programming when I was living in a one-bedroom apartment with 4 guys and had no money. That was before I hit my stride as a writer, and I couldn't have afforded admission anyways, but I was always impressed with the institution.

That's it. I'm always envious seeing the students walking to and from the place - it does look like it's a fun place to learn music and meet like-minded people. I sometimes go into their guitar store to drool over instruments that my wife wouldn't want me spending our money on. (Although she once said I should get a mandolin.) I don't think there are any free events/programs there anymore.

• Members

The songwriter gathering that I attend is much more like an open mic. Basically, you play with the host and three others once every few weeks/month. You perform a full set for the audience as well as your fellow performers.

I know, I know...it sounds like a normal gig...but WAIT---

This particular bar is almost entirely songwriter oriented so all the performers ACTUALLY stick around for each others sets and give feedback after.

It's somewhere between a regular gig and a songwriters clinic and you get a great bar tab when you play.

I usually play once every two weeks...and I'm playing tonight.

I honestly prefer playing for people in person. I've been performing for a long time so I'm a lot more comfortable doing it that way than through my very limited recording skill. I love you guys for not giving me too much {censored} about my recordings.

Anyways...I'm pumped that you finally found a songwriter's group. I've seen you mention it in a few threads. Congrats!

• Members

it does look like it's a fun place to learn music and meet like-minded people

Only if like-minded people are guys who realized that their REO Speedwagonesque group in the 80s wasn't going anywhere, went into consulting, and just found the ol' Ibanez acoustic when they were packing up in the divorce. In my experience, anyway.

• Members

Only if like-minded people are guys who realized that their REO Speedwagonesque group in the 80s wasn't going anywhere, went into consulting, and just found the ol' Ibanez acoustic when they were packing up in the divorce. In my experience, anyway.

I've not seen anyone there fitting that description. I see a lot of females of all ages. But then maybe they're distracting me from seeing the true demographic ;)

• Members

I've not seen anyone there fitting that description. I see a lot of females of all ages. But then maybe they're distracting me from seeing the true demographic
;)

One of my most vivid performance memories is seeing one of their classes re-create the Last Waltz. The memory is so vivid because I was in the wing balcony, and looking down on them gave me a great view of everyone's shiny bald spot.

• Members

I used to live near the Old Town School of Folk Music, but I never did go in. Thank you for removing any feeling of regret I might still have.

• Members

I used to live near the Old Town School of Folk Music, but I never did go in. Thank you for removing any feeling of regret I might still have.

They seem to get good shows there. But I did see a guy at their showcase night to a solo 12-string version of that REO song ("If you're tired of the same old story, Ohh, turn some pages...). This was in the '00s.

• Members

I've actually given some thought to starting something like what you are talking about (b/c, as far as I know, nothing like that exists very close to where I live). If I ever get around to it, I'll post something here and let everyone know how it's going.

• Members

They seem to get good shows there. But I did see a guy at their showcase night to a solo 12-string version of that REO song ("If you're tired of the same old story, Ohh, turn some pages...). This was in the '00s.

I had a job in 1993? that was on Armitage and Bissell underneath the train tracks. I lived over in Wicker Park. If I missed the bus I would walk across the Cortland bridge and that incredibly nasty smelling tannery right there on the river to get to work.

I recall them having people like John Prine and Jorma Kaukonen/Hot Tuna, as well as local folky types I didn't recognize. It wasn't my scene then - I was much more into the alternative rock Urge Overkill/Liz Phair/Sea and Cake/Cocktails stuff that was happening at places like Lounge Axe and the Double Door.

• Members

I recall them having people like John Prine and Jorma Kaukonen/Hot Tuna, as well as local folky types I didn't recognize.

Those would be typical fare for their shows. I do sort of regret not trying to see Bill Frisell there last year (although I'm not as into him as I used to be). (BTW, I'm not sure which location of the school you all are talking about - they're at Lincoln Square and on Armitage. I'm near the former.)

• Members

Those would be typical fare for their shows. I do sort of regret not trying to see Bill Frisell there last year (although I'm not as into him as I used to be). (BTW, I'm not sure which location of the school you all are talking about - they're at Lincoln Square and on Armitage. I'm near the former.)

Didn't know that they had two locations - I'm definitely thinking of the latter.

• Members

I went to one last week and enjoyed it. Only four folks attended -- it is was the first one, so perhaps more will show up. Due to my schedule, I doubt that I'll ever be able to make it again.

We went around in a circle and played one song at a time. One songwriter brought copies of his work, but it all had the copyright sign on it -- so I wasn't sure if it was to show the lyrics or to actually get reviewed. The rest of us played through songs and received general (sometimes specific) comments. It definitely felt more like a seminar than a workshop. We discussed songwriting approaches etc and how they related to the songs presented. One songwriter mentioned that he'd like to get into a collaboration with other songwriters to see what worked.

I'm glad I went and I wish I could go more often, especially if that format is kept. Were it to become a workshop environment, I would quickly lose interest. Nothing wrong with workshopping material, but I did enough of that in undergrad/grad days. I like the idea of having trusted soundboards (friends or other songwriters who will shoot straight with you), but the workshop environment/dynamic isn't where I do my best writing or revising. But they can be great places to meet drinking buddies so that you can go drink/eat/carouse and pick up new material.

• Members

OK. I haven't posted here in a while (years). But I'll jump in here and defend OTSFM First Friday Song Circle. I've been going for about a year and a half now. Not every month, but frequently.

Yes it's more Singer/Songwriter oriented than band/pop music. But all genres are OK.

The place is cool. First Friday it's $5 to get in the door. There are a couple hundred people walking around in various classrooms carrying guitars. Most of them are fun learners. There's Beatles classes, and Folk Music strum alongs and such.

The Songriter Circle meets in a secluded small room on the second floor. There are from 10 to 20 people a month, depending on whatever. There's a core of people who come regularly. Terry MacNamara and Al Day usually moderate the group. You usually get one song for everyone in a night. You're encouraged to bring unfinished work, or something you want opinions on. Some people from time to time bring a disc to be played. But that makes it hard to critique a finished work. Feelings can get hurt. In general the group is good and supportive. The discussion on each song usually takes much longer than the song itself.

There are some very accomplished people that come. Also many others who are much less polished. Perfection is not the point. You do have to have a little bit of a tough skin. Because many people will question what you're doing and try to give you suggestions on how it could be better. (One guy in particular can be a real pain in the butt). But overall it's constructive criticism.

For years I never went, because I wasn't really interested in "critiques" of my songs. When they're done; they're done. But since I started going, I've found a nice supportive group, and I've learned something valuable about my song each time I go. (I'd say 90% of the critical comments I hear I ignore. But there's always a nugget of info I receive that I wouldn't have thought of otherwise.) So now, I try to bring unfinished work and get feedback while I can still do something about it.

Age group varies. It's mostly older Folkers. Some guys have been performing around town for decades (Remember Earl of Old Town?) But there's some 20 & 30 somethings that are in the mix regularly as well. All are appreciated.

I hesitate to promote it too much. It's a small room. And if too many people make it, there'd be no way to fit everyone, let alone get through the songs. But it is a good group.

PS - In general song circles are a good thing. It takes the right bunch of people to make it really worth while.

PSPS - OTSFM is a great performance venue. Their 400 seat theater is the best place in town to see a show. They get some cool acts in there. Another great venue in town for top tier touring singer/songwriter types is Space in Evanston.

• Members

I just started a local songwriters group, that is schuduled to meet weekly in Chicago starting February 20th. I can't say the name because is it is conjunction with another songwriters forum, but if anyone is around 63rd Street near Midway Airport, there's coffee house called "A Place For Us". Saturdays. 3PM.

Every week.

Free. We just ask that folks give the coffeehouse some business.

I have a half dozen folks RSVPing, but who knows if more will come in. Originals only. Must be performed, by you or someone you bring.

This should be fun, will let you know how it goes.

Archived