willy22

• Members
Power Through, Don't Give Up!!!

I'm about to do this
again
(I once quit cold turkey for a year
:mad:
)

Best of luck, and keep telling yourself you don't need one every time you tell yourself you
think
you need one.

It does sound cliche, but quitting is easy; staying quit is the hard part. With me, starting back has either been a) being in a place with a bunch of smokers and, thinking I can handle it, bumming a smoke or b) a high stress moment that leads to wanting one cigerette, having to buy a whole pack, and smoking the whole damn thing. Before I know it, I'm back on the wagon. Hopefully I'll have enough wisdom and balls this time around not to put myself in a situation where the desire to smoke will be more than I can handle.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I quit cold turkey at 18, smoked a few cigars here and there and have been off the cancer sticks for over 9 years now.

Stick to it man. get addicted to gum and running. Cigarettes release adrenaline, dopamine etc etc, and so does exercise, and exercise is cheaper. So keep your hands busy, (the hand to mouth part is the hardest aspect to get out of your hand,) and the chemicals will peace out pretty quickly.

Stick to it man!

-Curtis

• Members

It took me 5 tries to finally quit for good. The last time was over 5 years ago (I'm 35 now), I quit cold turkey and I haven't smoked since.

I still get cravings now and then, but at this point they are easy to ignore. The first week sucked, after that it got much easier. Looking at the price of smokes, I am very happy I quit when I did since I smoked a pack a day.

Also, if I quit, you certainly can. I am the weakest willed {censored}er on the face of the earth. I can't resist {censored}! :)

The physical cravings are the easy part. The hard part is the mental training you have right now that says you need to smoke at certain times, like you said. Smoke after eating (The hardest to get over), after sex, while driving, etc. The key is to try to occupy yourself when you would normally be having a smoke. Either use candy or a toothpick or whatever you need to occupy yourself when you would have that smoke. The oral fixation part is a huge thing to get over, just stick to your plan and don't give in, it will get MUCH better and manageable and you will be so much happier.

Good luck man.

• Members
I'm starting to get cranky.
Yesterday wasn't that bad, but I'm REALLY wanting a smoke right now. Guess I'll go pop another nicorette lozenge and wait it out. This has got to be the last time I quit!! Wish me luck...

You should keep a watch around and time how long your cravings really are. Most likely they are shorter than they seem.

I just spent a weekend with two pack-a-day smokers and kept up with them the whole way... I'm trying to not smoke for a week now :o

• Members

I quit cold turkey at 18, smoked a few cigars here and there and have been off the cancer sticks for over 9 years now.

Stick to it man. get addicted to gum and running. Cigarettes release adrenaline, dopamine etc etc, and so does exercise, and exercise is cheaper. So keep your hands busy, (the hand to mouth part is the hardest aspect to get out of your hand,) and the chemicals will peace out pretty quickly.

Good advice. I quit smoking after taking up jiu-jitsu. Whenever I have a cig (not very often), I feel super guilty for it, and end up paying for it when I roll.

• Members

It's hard as hell ain't it?

You got to be FED up with smoking to really quit. You got to start hating them. Think about all the times you are at an event or just out having fun and you have to step outside away from everyone and smoke.

• Members
Think about how it turns off teh ladiez
:love:
or at least teh classy ones
:o

Ha! Good point, but the only two lady's opinions I'm concerned with are my wife's and my mother's, in that order. ;)

While neither has ever hounded me to quit, they've both expressed their desire from time to time that I do. My wife's 23, I'm 33. I'd like to be around for awhile, start a family, and spend as much time as possible with them while I can. I feel like there's no greater time than now to take steps in that direction.

Thanks again for the positive support. You guys aren't a bunch of assholes after all! :lol:

• Members

My insurance paid for the patches. I'd get them in the mail. I remember that first one and when I put it on the suspense of it was frustrating ,them in a few minutes there was this soothing sensation that came over me and I went "oh yeah;)" the patches tapered down the nicotine till I was free of nicotine in about 2-3 months. sometimes I bought the nicotine gum($20 bucks for laced gum?the things we do for a fix:facepalm:) when cravings got intense. Now it's been 4 years and I don't even think about it. quit drinking too even beer....now I'm just fat:cry: but at least not a smoke-puffing miserable alcoholic:cool:

good luck with your quitting. and good health to you!!!

• Members

I quit 4 months ago. I smoked near on 10 packs over 2 or 3 days. By the end of it I was sick as {censored} but didn't want a cig!

Seems to me most people I know who quit did it that way too. Smoke till you get sick and you're off em for long enough for the cravings to leave.

I do miss it sometimes. But 4 months and that...

• Members

I'm nearing the 48h mark and I feel like punching everyone in the face :mad:

Could be worse, yesterday night I wanted to murderize everyone!

Funny, it's the first time I find it so tough... I guess it's because my body knows it's for real this time.

{censored} YOU tobacco companies!!!

• Members
I'm nearing the 48h mark and I feel like punching everyone in the face

Could be worse, yesterday night I wanted to murderize everyone!

Funny, it's the first time I find it so tough... I guess it's because my body knows it's for real this time.

{censored} YOU tobacco companies!!!

You're almost through the worst :idk:

Both my brothers are pack-a-day smokers, my dad smoked from 13 to 30, all my friends smoke, everyone at my work takes a smoke break on the hour, I'm trying not to get sucked in but man do I enjoy a cig every now and again :o

• Members

Just made it back from my Dad's and he's a smoker. Lit up in front of me too (I didn't tell him I was trying to quit). It's funny, it didn't really make me want one. Second hand smoke really does stink, doesn't it? Maybe tomorrow will be a little easier.

• Members

Just remember that YOU are in control. YOU have a choice so don't give in and make bull{censored} excuses for yourself. YOU have to CHOOSE to smoke/quit and YOU are in control, not the cravings, not the cigs, only YOU.

I applaud you decision to quit and it gets easier and easier. After a week the nicotine is gone(unless you keep the gum/patch going) so after that it it all psychological. Soon you will hate the way it smells.

Keep it up and best of luck it you change!

• Members

I'm almost 9 months in.

A few weeks ago I had some really serious cravings. Around the 7 month point. At that point though, it's very easy to say no but you still want it real bad.

I feel a lot better, I'm at the gym 3-4x a week and running on some mornings.

My last blood work was amazing.

Real happy I'm off that {censored}.

• Members

I'm almost 9 months in.

A few weeks ago I had some really serious cravings. Around the 7 month point. At that point though, it's very easy to say no but you still want it real bad.

I feel a lot better, I'm at the gym 3-4x a week and running on some mornings.

My last blood work was amazing.

Real happy I'm off that {censored}.

Even though I'll be off them soon, those cravings will always creep in from time to time. I think I know myself well enough to never give in to the thought that I can "just have one" and fall back on the wagon.

• Members

I've been walking with my wife. I'm actually slowing her down. She's a runner and has competed in 10ks and the like. I'm working up to running with her after a few more go-arounds.

Thanks again for all the positive support guys! :wave:

Archived