Amps cannot sound warm

mike moriarty

• Members

What is so wrong with using non-technical terms to describe in a subjective way a certain sound quality that some amps have?

It's much better than a guitarist in a studio asking to make the guitar sound more purple.

You would prefer comments like "I'd say it has more even harmonics than usual and the odd ones are kept under 2% approx. The high-end rolls off gently past 4KHz with a drop never bigger than 6dB per octave"

I'd rather have him tell me it sounds warm.

You know that the colour blue is just a narrow frequency spectrum of electro-magnetic radiation? Blue is just a subjective name for a 440-490nm long electro-magnetic wave.

This thread is harsh and sterile :cop:

• Members

Yeah but what the {censored} does it mean?

It means more even harmonics, less odd harmonics and a gentle high-end roll-off :cop:

I don't know... I know a warm amp when I hear one.

Warm is basically what tubes do when they start to overdrive but just before the point where you can distinctly hear distortion (which can also means a dirty preamp into a slightly overdriven power amp), it's something that SS amps just can't do. Hence the subjective association of hot vacuum tubes... warmth... basically.

Play clean through a LOUD Fender Twin Reverb, then through a Roland JC120, you will understand what warm means.

• Members

I agree that a lot of the time it's easier to talk in "guitarist speak" than technical terms...but the problem is that no two people have the same definition of "warm," the same way that no two people can ever seem to agree on "boxy," "sterile" or "organic".

For sure, but there is no real other option...

Also, people buy a cheap tube amp as their first tube amp and rave on how warm and dynamic it is, yet it only is in relation to their prior SS amp. I know I've been there! The other I saw a guy with a horrible lead tone, couldn't make out a single note he was playing. It was a Traynor combo, then he tells me how much he loves this amp... his first tube amp.

So you'll have me saying how fuzzy and boxy this amp is, then someone will comment on how dynamic and warm it is...

Oh well, this is 2009, we now have Youtube videos to get an idea.

But to me:

Boxy: not much frequency extension coupled with a somewhat "cluttered" low-end

Sterile: total absence of any distortion, including the "warm" kind that is 2nd order harmonics, opposite of warm

Organic: a combination of warmth, coupled with a certain elastic quality (this one I just can't explain in technical terms, I now an "elastic" amp when I play one)

• Members

Sterile: total absence of any distortion, including the "warm" kind that is 2nd order harmonics, opposite of warm

Perfect example - you say that "sterile" means that there's NO distortion, but then people call EMGs or a VH-4 "sterile" because they compress...which is a form of distortion.

I had a friend who had dialed in a {censored}ty modeled high-gain tone on his Boss floor unit (GT-something), and he remarked to me "Dude...that sounds SO WARM"...which apparently meant that it sounded like it had a blanket over the speakers and was buried 3' underground.

• Members

It's much better than a guitarist in a studio asking to make the guitar sound more purple.

My band recorded a demo a couple of weeks ago. The guy running the board came in to the room while I was playing along with the drummer and said I "needed to play more like... " Then wiggled his shoulders a little and walked back out the door.

:confused:

• Members

That happened to me. No joke. I was supposed to sound more yellow. :confused: It was the artist that wanted to change it.

• Members

That happened to me. No joke. I was supposed to sound more yellow.
:confused:
It was the artist that wanted to change it.

I wrote a song, I wrote a song for you, and it was all yellow!

My tone has some greenness in the mids, I love it!

Archived