A Thread on Composition

eeglug

• Members

worth spending time with. Maybe our mod might want to throw a link to it in the resources sticky(?). I've only skimmed a couple of posts but it looks like a lot of great info.

Done.

BTW... I stay out of KSS ever since I started a thread there some years back on a dynamic intonation system (available on some synths) and a lot of people there called me crazy because I suggested that the intervals in 12 Tone Equal Temperament scales are not mathematically in harmony (except for the octaves). There were folks who acknowledged the discrepancies between 12TET intervals and truly harmonic intervals and who did know plenty about 12TET, Just Intonation, as well as various stretch temperaments used for steel stringed instruments like pianos. But they were a tiny minority, while a lot of folks there just thought it was the wackiest thing they'd ever heard.

Maybe my reaction is just because, being a "dumb guitarist" I always had this idea that keyboardists were more knowledgeable...

• Members

Some of the topics dealt with in that thread have been discussed here on the songwriting forum too but the info is scattered among many threads. If I had the time I'd go hunting for some of them and gather links to the good stuff so that we could find them in one place. And of course we'd include general discussions on lyrics.

• Members

Maybe my reaction is just because, being a "dumb guitarist" I always had this idea that keyboardists were more knowledgeable...

You're not alone in that thought...Dizzy Gillespie told a young Miles Davis to learn to play piano to help him as a player and composer.

Archived