What things make bands seem/sound "amateur" live to you?

Say Ocean

• Members
No, that's a valid one too. I mean you have to have the right tools for the job... a concert violinist is not going to be using a first act violin, a concert pianist is not going to use a casio keyboard, etc etc. I mean at least have something decent, it doesn't have to be expensive
:idk:

It is and it isn't, because it's partly a preference thing. I mean, I wouldn't be caught dead playing an Epi Special II on stage because I could never keep one of those things in tune for long, and it just screams entry-level guitar, but if that's all the guy can afford, who am I to bash him for it? :idk: But every time I see someone playing a cheap Epi, 9/10 chance he sucks.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i've used my $70 plywood strat clone for entire shows when i didn't want to take one of my more valuable guitars, because lets face it, after all that {censored} goes through some {censored} PA at retarded volume, no one's hearing the difference :thu:

• Members

get over it, i don't play hardcore

I can't stand it when a band just stands there. I don't give a f**k if you're the best musician alive. If you're standing there, that means (to me) that you're not that into it, so I shouldn't be either.

• Members

{censored}ty band practice type P.A. with only vocals running through it.

Marshall MG's with the treble cranked.

Tunning loudly in between songs

Singers that can't sing on pitch to save thier life.

2 guitar players way off sinc with each other.

• Members

I can't stand it when a band just stands there. I don't give a f**k if you're the best musician alive. If you're standing there, that means (to me) that you're not that into it, so I shouldn't be either.

exactly. I'm not looking for constant headbanging, huge guitar swings, etc. etc. But if you're standing there like a stone, I'm getting bored quickly. You don't have to be getting an aerobic workout, but get busy doing SOMETHING that shows you care.

• Members

here's another completely unreasonable annoyance i have: i don't like when metal/hard rock bands use combos. it's ok if you're playing some other genre, but otherwise, be a {censored}ing man and bring at least a half stack with you :mad:

• Members
1. The Guitarist using a fan on stage to blow his hair back....

:confused: It gets fricking HOT up on stage, especially in clubs that have old par can lighting. Add Florida summer heat, big crowds and {censored}ty A/C to that equation and you NEED a fan to avoid heat stroke. I don't gig without one.

• Members

my band used to get experience gigging out in our teens and always playing as different bands. we introduced ourselves as metallica, acdc, red hot chili peppers, boston, limp biscuit, hanson. That way no one would ever know what band was playing that sucked that hard. That's why I make my band practice for like half a year before going out and playing a show now. live and learn.
:facepalm:

• Members

{censored}ty band practice type P.A. with only vocals running through it.

Marshall MG's with the treble cranked.

Tunning loudly in between songs

Singers that can't sing on pitch to save thier life.

2 guitar players way off sinc with each other.

woops, someone already posted my band.

really though. {censored}ty equiptment is great. That's what the blues players used back in the day. cheap as hell. made it sound good. There is still an underground punk scene, (the mummies and all), who use really crappy instruments on purpose. and don't forget all those old timey guys who play silvertones. that {censored} sucks. so equiptment is no comparison to skill. It just helps a hell of a lot. unless you are trying to sound bad. (dragonforce. those guys are comedic geniuses)

• Members
Guys in their 40s playing the same songs they were playing in high school. If you're playing Brown Eyed Girl, you should throw yourself under a bus immediately.

As long as there is an audience wanting to hear it, they will be playing it. :cop:
After the audience who wants to hear it is gone, they will still be playing it. :lol:

Archived