Can you make a POD XT/X3 sound good?

GodBlessTexas

• Members

I was kind of having the same problem for high gain stuff. I found something usable which was a preset in the Blends folder called Stomping Metal. From there I put a Tubescreamer on it and im pretty happy with the sound.

Try finding a preset you like then make any nessassary adjustments.

• Members

I can get all kinds of great medium to high gain tones. The trick is (just like with real amps) to TURN DOWN THE GAIN. TURN UP THE MIDS. If you dial a real amp in like that at least you have some air pushing to trick you into thinking it sounds good; if you recorded that tone it would suck. The POD just gives you that recorded tone up front, so you have to dial it in properly.

Just like a real amp the best hi-gain tones come from an amp dialed in with medium gain and really digging in with the pick.

• Members
Because I sure as hell can't.
:facepalm:
I can nail clean tones all day long, but as soon as I try to do anything high gain, I can't make it work. Any tips on making this damn thing sound decent?

get an RP1000. Problem solved...lol

• Members

I never managed to get any particularly good tones with my POD XT. Cleans always sounded dead, mid-gain sounded pissweak, high gain always sounded like the same buzzy, pissweak sound regardless of which model I was using. :idk:

Only high gain sound I recall sounding any good from a POD is the whole "djent" thing, and that sound's sorta at the far end of some sorta spectrum (and IMO it all pretty much sounds the same). When I think high gain tones, I don't think of that kind of thing. :idk:

• Members

i just got their UX1 interface so i can demo for my new projects, and have a decent bedroom tone...

i must say though, i am having a bit of difficulty setting up tones im liking...but i have just found out how to do 2 amp setups at once...and it seems to be getting better...

i still need to purchase the Metal amp pack, and get a new pickup...im sure a new pup will help immensely, and ive heard nothing but good things about the metal amp pack...

ive tried messaging exafro for tips, as he has a UX1 and his tones were always amazing and insane....but his inbox was full...maybe hell see this thread and chime in...

• Members

I have Pod Farm and while it is by no means my go-to amp sim, I have never had trouble getting the sound I was going for out of it. Requires some lateral thinking and a flexible sense of what an amp model is "for" but the tones are in it if you've got time and understand the various tone shaping options available in the software. Can't speak on the X3; the models and effects, etc. are the same, but I'm using a high quality pre and converters with my studio comp so it might be giving me some benefit over the X3.

• Members
Forumite Keshav Djar (probably got it wrong) has some epic POD djent.

Almost right :D

Thanks, yeah I'm pretty happy with the tone I have, both clean and high gain, although I have to say I spent a lot of time tweaking it. Having fellow forumite and good buddy Zorran teach me some mixing skills helped too ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
haha, you were watching that vid in the contest for The Absence album weren't you. You should mail that dude on youtube or the Petrucci forums, I bet he has a patch he tweaked for that.

Indeed. I see guys like that who can make it sound good like that and I wonder what the hell I'm doing wrong. That guy's tone was very good, and I never would have guessed it was a POD until he mentioned it in the video. Unfortunately, he took the video down. :(

• Members
Almost right
:D

Thanks, yeah I'm pretty happy with the tone I have, both clean and high gain, although I have to say I spent a lot of time tweaking it. Having fellow forumite and good buddy Zorran teach me some mixing skills helped too
;)

Could you share some tips or patches? Pretty please? :idea:

• Members
Could you share some tips or patches? Pretty please?
:idea:

Sure! Well for heavies it's the Big Bottom model (bass and treble around 60, presence around 40, mids around 80), FX Boost + EQ stomp sim with similar eq settings, treadplate 4x12 cab sim > 421 > slight noise gate. Cut slightly at 200hz to reduce muddiness and at 5khz to reduce fizz. A tiny boost at 1k helps the tone translate well across different listening mediums.
Drive on both amp and stomp models is around 45... I pick really hard though, so that helps getting a lot of juice from settings with moderate gain. Also, less gain and medium treble = less scratchiness when moving my fretting hand around.

I quadtrack (or at the very least doubletrack) all rhythms when recording, which makes for a nice wall of rhythm guitar.

Cleans are mostly the Jazz clean model with a scooped eq setting.

Hope this helped :)

• Members

I use a similar setting as Keshav dhar if I am just using the POD live as a backup for my amp. If I am recording then I use 2 tracks of big bottom, 2 of the uber model and my leads are done with a patch called mr scary(jcm 800 with tube screamer boost). I use a hiwatt model for my cleans.

Archived