Movin On - mjhamil / ido1957

ido1957

• Members

Mike and I got together for our annual vacation this week. We decided to resurrect an old tune and rework it.

mjhamil - all vocals,drums,bass

ido - all guitars

Sonar 7.0

Rode NT2A

POD X3 Live/Stratocaster

Ampeg SVT4 Pro/Rickenbacker

TTS-1 Drums

Rokit 6

Let me know what you think of this song

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=9632576&q=hi

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9632576

• Members

This, it seems to me, is the songwriting equivalent of Pat Nixon's respectable Republican cloth coat. ("I should say this, that Pat doesn't have a mink coat. But she does have a respectable Republican cloth coat, and I always tell her she would look good in anything," from the so-called Checkers speech.)

The lyrics don't exactly scale the poetic heights, but no one's asking them to. They seem there mostly to support a pleasant rock shuffle of the type we've often heard from you guys. And they do that well enough. The individual lyrical parts feel a little worn ("burning bridges," "riding high, top of the world") and the plot line is more suggestive than filled in, but, again, it serves to support what could be a live crowd pleaser in the right context and with the right performance.

This is the songwriting and not a performance-oriented forum, but I think it might nonetheless be helpful (in a Dutch uncle kind of way) to suggest that, in this recording, that that performance isn't really drawing out the song's strengths.

I wouldn't say that the drum part is badly written -- although the dynamics between primary hits and ghost hits, particularly with the kick -- seem too narrow and it pushes the syncopation angle too much, I think for the conception of the guitars and bass accompaniment. I think it needs to be tamed a little, with the fundamental rhythm points given more emphasis vis a vis the syncopated counter beats.

And I suspect it may be the prominence of those syncopation elements that seemed to draw the performance pretty far afield of the rhythmic marks, here. I've heard some smooth, pretty slickly played stuff from you, but this performance just doesn't hold together very well, I'm afraid.

And that means that instead of the required, tight, joyful playing that such a simple and unassuming song would require to get over are just not there, yet. Perhaps another reworking?

• Members

The drums should be replaced shortly with a live drum take from a real drummer. Once they get done we may have to redo some tracks. I tend to follow the drums and the current rhythm may need revision. I'm hoping that will improve the overall groove of the tune.... Mike's should be in touch with the drummer soon.... Will post revision once done...

• Members

I listened to the retracked version and what is off to me is the lead guitar all the time.. Its kinda like a harmonica player that wont lay back.. I think it could work in an Atlanta Rhythym section kind of way..

The two guitars make the guitar solo that is there just not matter. sorry thats what I think ... go beat my song up lol... jk Its all good

• Members

I listened to the retracked version and what is off to me is the lead guitar all the time.. Its kinda like a harmonica player that wont lay back.. I think it could work in an Atlanta Rhythym section kind of way..

The two guitars make the guitar solo that is there just not matter. sorry thats what I think ... go beat my song up lol... jk Its all good

Thanks Snoggin....Listen to my song "Real Love" on Soundclick. I'm going to try and edit the lead fills around the vocals the same way. Takes a long time to do but I'll post it when I get it done....

• Members

I listened to it and that track is much more polished.. Isnt it easier to just play the song that way in the beginning rather than edit?? I speak sincerely as i dont know about digital recording much yet but it seem easier to record it the way you want rather than to edit it down.

I want to record a cd of my stuff soon so trying t o learn some about all this

• Members

I listened to it and that track is much more polished.. Isnt it easier to just play the song that way in the beginning rather than edit?? I speak sincerely as i dont know about digital recording much yet but it seem easier to record it the way you want rather than to edit it down.

I want to record a cd of my stuff soon so trying t o learn some about all this

Yes either way works but I prefer editing.

• Members

Update - same link - new mix

-drums by poeticintensity

-bass,vocals by mjhamil

-guitars by ido1957

Edits on guitar to give it some breathing room.

Let me know what you think of this mix.

Song Page

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9632576

Streaming Link - this seems to be broken so just use the song page...:mad:

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=9632576&q=hi

Archived