Anything look suspicious here? (4x12 Marshall 1960A)

Syyle

• Members

When those things go, you CAN see it. That said, they do melt down. I had one. A tech rewired it mono for me and put metal jacks in there and I never had another problem with it.

As far as that pic, everything looks ok to me.

• Members

Okay, my problems must be in my amp head then. I am getting some bottoming out issues; I wonder if I am mis-matching ohms or something elementary like that...

Maybe I have a blown fuse in my head...?

• Members

buy a cheap multi-meter to check the impedence of the cab with the switch in mono mode, and then in stereo mode. that's the only real way to know. those swithches have been known to fail. I've had it happen to me. I also put a metal jack in and wired it mono 4ohms.

• Members

The bottoming out is likely that post in the middle of the cab slapping the back panel as it vibrates. To fix this, cut out a small square of carpet or other thick, soft material. Cut it to the size of the end of the post, and glue it on there. That will pad the post against the back panel, and will prevent the problem you are having if it is caused by that post (which is the most likely explaination).

• Members

that's a cool fix, i'll will definitely give that a try.

another problem that is occurring, is when i palm mute any heavy distortion, the lights flicker in the house and i am plugging into a very reliable power source. any thoughts on that?

it's a SS head by the way, no tubes.

• Members

that's a cool fix, i'll will definitely give that a try.

another problem that is occurring, is when i palm mute any heavy distortion, the lights flicker in the house and i am plugging into a very reliable power source. any thoughts on that?

it's a SS head by the way, no tubes.

Do you live in an older house? Sometimes in older houses (like mine) the circuit breakers are rated too low to use a ton of stuff on, so sometimes lights will flicker or dim a bit. IIRC one of our breakers was rated at about 15v when by modern standards they should be about 20v, or something like that.

• Members

nah, the house isn't really that old.

as far as the sound bottoming out, i was experiencing at both my jam space and at a gig; so i am really doubting the power source has anything to do with it...but i am wondering if there is some issue with how the amp is receiving the power.

Archived