Looking at a Valveking Tomorrow, what should I do?

Syyle

• Members

I have never bought a used amp head before. What should be my order of process for checking stuff out? What are some key things to look for to see if the head is in good condition?

It's a Peavey Valveking 100w for $300 so I am pretty stoked. I hope it's in good condition.

• Members

Make sure all the pots are clean and not scratchy. Make sure it turns on and everything lights up. Make sure the tubes are all glowing. Play it and make sure theres nothing wrong with it. Kinda basic stuff. If you care about effects make sure the loop works too. Look for any burn marks or anything like that cosmetically that points to an accident and ask about it.

• Members

This is really really embarassing...but I have never owned nor have I seen tubes in action :( Is correct glowing pretty obvious? Or do I really have to take a close look. Is there any way to visually inspect the life expectancy on tubes? Are both the power/pre-amp tubes visible from behind?

• Members

I have never bought a used amp head before. What should be my order of process for checking stuff out? What are some key things to look for to see if the head is in good condition?

It's a Peavey Valveking 100w for $300 so I am pretty stoked. I hope it's in good condition.

Keep searching. A Valveking just isn't worth the money. To help make my point, last December I found a JSX 2X12 combo in "floor model/minty" condition at GC $300. While indeed that was a rare find, I see deals like that at least once a week. Shoot higher than a Valveking.

• Members

come on, this isn't helpful. i am on a low budget and looking for a mid range amp, my needs don't go beyond this amp right now, it's that simple.

i am just looking for tips and tricks to put to use here so I don't get craigslist-fooked.

• Members

Keep searching. A Valveking just isn't worth the money. To help make my point, last December I found a JSX 2X12 combo in "floor model/minty" condition at GC $300. While indeed that was a rare find, I see deals like that at least once a week. Shoot higher than a Valveking.

Is a JSX better than a Valveking? No really. I'm not up on Peavey products and I thought they were basically the same sound/build quality and price range.

• Members

Is a JSX better than a Valveking? No really. I'm not up on Peavey products and I thought they were basically the same sound/build quality and price range.

The JSX Combo is infinately better. It's a $1,500 amp as opposed to a $600 Valveking.

Do this and trust me:

Look for a used

Peavey Triple X/JSX/5150/6505. A Triple X would probably best suit what you're looking for. Just DO NOT get a Valveking, they sound terrible.

I'd buy a Bugera amp before I'd buy a Valveking.

check out the Bugera amps. They sound good for the money, although you're STILL better off with a used Peavey model I recommended.

• Members

Don't expect much, but they are worth the money. You will want a better amp in the long run. Thats what I started on. IMO a sonic stomp does some good stuff for the clean channel (ready for sonic maximizer haters)

Actually, a buddy of mine runs a Sonic Stomp with his Valveking and it sounds pretty damn good, really.

You'll never confuse it for a Mesa/Bogner/Fryette/etc., but the SS really does add a lot to that amp.

• Members

I don't want this thread to turn into a "this vs that" thread. i am not even sure I am buying this amp. I am obviously playing it before I buy it; if it suits my sound/tone needs, I will buy it, if it doesn't I won't.

This thread is here so that I don't make a mistake in the trouble-shooting/testing phase. I want to make sure I give the amp the best chance it can. Who knows, for ME, maybe this amp is a great purchase; I won't know that until I play it and hear it. It's not $300 either, it's $250.

• Members
I don't want this thread to turn into a "this vs that" thread. i am not even sure I am buying this amp. I am obviously playing it before I buy it; if it suits my sound/tone needs, I will buy it, if it doesn't I won't.

This thread is here so that I don't make a mistake in the trouble-shooting/testing phase. I want to make sure I give the amp the best chance it can. Who knows, for ME, maybe this amp is a great purchase; I won't know that until I play it and hear it. It's not $300 either, it's $250.

Well then, just turn it on and play it for a half hour or so, if it is still working and you like the tone. Buy it. :idk:

• Members

Don't pay much attention to the kids on this forum. I've seen a couple of those in action. They are not the greatest but, definately good bang for the buck for starting out. Haven't heard much negativity about reliabilty.

Just plug it in and play through it for a few minutes. If something sounds way off than decline. You really can't tell if a tube is in good working condition by looking at it. A faulty tube will often light up anyway. Obviously if one doesn't light up than its probably bad but, you'd be able to hear that something isn't right.

• Members
Actually, a buddy of mine runs a Sonic Stomp with his Valveking and it sounds pretty damn good, really.

You'll never confuse it for a Mesa/Bogner/Fryette/etc., but the SS really does add a lot to that amp.

Thank you,

When I had VK I threw one in the loop and it helped the amp sound much better :thu:

• Members

just make sure you have a cab to hook it up to, & that it plays. I didn't catch if you were getting just the head and/or cab. You can swap out pre amp tubes, & put eq in loop, & its not bad (I have one). It serves my purpose, anyway

• Members

just make sure you have a cab to hook it up to, & that it plays. I didn't catch if you were getting just the head and/or cab. You can swap out pre amp tubes, & put eq in loop, & its not bad (I have one). It serves my purpose, anyway

That too I replaced my power Tubes with JJ 6L6's and Tung Sol 12AX7's

• Members

I have the 112 combo. It's a fine amp for the money. I'm not sure if the head is the same, but on the combo there is a delay when switching between the clean and dirty channels - not a big deal for me as I generally use the clean channel only on this amp. Keep this in mind when trying it out, though.

As others have said - if you like it, get it!

• Members

I have to agree here. I tried the Peavey Valveking combo amp in the store and was not impressed. The sound was lifeless. Worse yet the back panel read: Designed in the USA-Made in CHINA! Check please.

You can do way better than a Peavey. I got a Tech21 Trademark 60, (Les Paul giggs with this same amp in NYC each Monday night), which is solid state, 60 watts, has two channels and MADE IN THE USA. It is an amazing amp in tone and kick. Very responsive too.

In this economy you can get some serious equipment for very little cash. Settling for a Valveking would be a waste in my opinion.

• Members

I have to agree here. I tried the Peavey Valveking combo amp in the store and was not impressed. The sound was lifeless. Worse yet the back panel read: Designed in the USA-Made in CHINA! Check please.

You can do way better than a Peavey. I got a Tech21 Trademark 60, (Les Paul giggs with this same amp in NYC each Monday night), which is solid state, 60 watts, has two channels and MADE IN THE USA. It is an amazing amp in tone and kick. Very responsive too.

In this economy you can get some serious equipment for very little cash. Settling for a Valveking would be a waste in my opinion.

my ibanez thermion was made in china, and sounds {censored}ing brutal.

• Members

You may love it. I liked my ValveKing, till I got my Mesa Studio .22, and then I realized how muddy the dirty channel was. Has lots of gain, but no clarity. The clean channel on that head is very nice though. If I had stopped coming in hear and never got my first mesa, I would prolly still be rockin my ValveKing. But luckily a guy wanted to trade me his Studio .22 for my Hot Rod Deluxe(I hated that {censored}ing amp! Most uninspiring amp I ever played).

Archived