NAD: Triple Rectumfrier

Beasleyboy

• Members

I found a local deal yesterday on a Triple Rectifier that was too good to pass up. This is my first rectifier...and it sounds like a can of bees. I'm sure user error and old tubes are to blame. I'm running it through the rectifier cab that I was using with my DC-10.There's almost no gain or saturation without going over 1:00 or 2:00 so I think I'm going to replace the groove tubes that are in the preamp and poweramp. Any suggestions as far as dialing these in? Right now I'm using bold/diode on the vintage mode with the bass and treble really low and the presence around 12:00. Also any suggestions as far as tubes go (brands/models). I've heard good things about KT-77s in these, are they the best option? And the pics

IMG_2544.jpg

IMG_2546.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's common for first time Rectifier owners to think they have no gain/saturation. They aren't as high gain as alot of people think, especially if the user is coming from certain other types of amps.

Triples are the meanest of the line imo, I like them. You don't have crank it to get good tone either, but you do need get above the dreaded "bedroom volume", and that is especially true of the Rectifier series.

Also similar to most Marshalls, Rectifiers are very boost pedal friendly amps despite being labeled as a more modern high gainer.

• Members

I post this so often I'm starting to feel like a troll.

The big thing with the 3-channel Recto's is the channel master. Get some alone time when you can turn it up a bit, set the output low, set the channel master below 9:00, and just riff some chords as you slowly turn up the channel master.

If your experience is anything like mine, you'll find that as you approach 11:00, the bees will start to fade, and as you get much past 2:00 it will just turn to mush.

Ignore what the manual says about the treble and gain controls - the channel master is the most powerful control in the amp. Set the rest of the EQ to noon, get the channel master where the overall tone is best, then dial from there.

Also, jacking up the presence isn't going to help much with the bees. Balancing the treble and presence controls will help you there, too.

• Members

I have one also that I got not long ago. It doesn't have as much gain as what people think but it has enough. Doesn't matter if you have to turn it up quite a bit.

The bee's thing can be fixed. You got to have your settings right. Do not have a lot of highs in your tone. Too many mids can make it worse too.

It's not as good as a 6505 but it's okay. I'd take my 6505 over the rec any day though.

• Members

This thread has nothing to do with the 6505, why even bring it up.

Because I own both and got a triple rec not long ago. Was expressing my opinion of it.

Not as great as my 6505. I'm even thinking of maybe selling it.

Usually I will compare it to other amps that are similar that I own. What's wrong with that? Almost everyone else does it.

If I compared it to some amp that wasn't a high gain amp it'd make no sense. But I see nothing wrong with comparing it to amps like it.

• Members

Because I own both and got a triple rec not long ago. Was expressing my opinion of it.

Not as great as my 6505. I'm even thinking of maybe selling it.

Usually I will compare it to other amps that are similar that I own. What's wrong with that? Almost everyone else does it.

If I compared it to some amp that wasn't a high gain amp it'd make no sense. But I see nothing wrong with comparing it to amps like it.

It doesn't help the OP at all, you can't see outside of your own little bubble of reality.

• Members

I always find the diode mode to sound a little "bee-like." I run the rectifier tubes always. Right now I have a mix of power tubes in my Triple Rec. I'm running JJ KT-88's in the outside pairs and then JJ KT-66's in the inside four. I also have GZ-34 rectifier tubes. It's a metal machine.

• Members

It doesn't help the OP at all, you can't see outside of your own little bubble of reality.

It might. I've mentioned amps on here and then people compare them to other amps and I ended up going and buying the other amp that was mentioned and it had nothing to do with the amp I posted other than it was a similar amp. Went and tried it and liked it.

If you don't like someones post then just don't say nothing. Don't got to turn it into an argument. Don't be a baby about it.

I related with the poster in being new to the mesa but said I still prefer my 6505 over it. I mean WOW. Seems on subject to me. Guess I can't say my experience with it.

Almost every person on here does that. They get a new amp and they say well I still prefer my other amp but I like this one. Or this one is different in this way than what i'm used to with this amp.

If you just want to argue then let it go. Not in the mood.

• Members

I was going to get one of these..but id rather get the original 2 channel version

and have it modded..there's nothing wrong with either ,just personal preffrence..

You really need to turn them up to get them to sound good.

If you dont dig the way it sounds, send it to Mesa and have them mod it.

my Mrk3 didnt sound good until i sent it back to them and told them what i wanted.

I wound up talking to Mike Bendenalli and we talked about modding

one of these for me..its really a beast, and take pedals really well..

give it time and you'll find setting you can work with.

• Members

Dude...

ROB {censored}ing ARNOLD uses them!

From CHI-{censored}ingMAIRA.

Duh.

RobArnold.

No, it's because I use them and also use the mesa triple rec. It's impossible for me not to compare the two.

Who's going to get a new amp and not compare it to another one in the same genre?

He might want to know my experience with it. He might want to try the 6505 and see if he likes it better.

• Members

I must have missed the part where he was asking for recommendations of different amps to try out.

He wasn't asking. Damn is it that hard to figure it out?

I shared my experience with the new amp and said I liked my other amp better. People have said the same thing to me and I understood them. So I said, "Oh really so you like the framus cobra better than the mesa?" I was curious to try one out and see how they compared. I wasn't asking for suggestions.

it's just general conversation about the amp and my experience with it.

I know you can't be that stupid.

• Members

I post this so often I'm starting to feel like a troll.

The big thing with the 3-channel Recto's is the channel master. Get some alone time when you can turn it up a bit, set the output low, set the channel master below 9:00, and just riff some chords as you slowly turn up the channel master.

If your experience is anything like mine, you'll find that as you approach 11:00, the bees will start to fade, and as you get much past 2:00 it will just turn to mush.

Ignore what the manual says about the treble and gain controls - the channel master is the most powerful control in the amp. Set the rest of the EQ to noon, get the channel master where the overall tone is best, then dial from there.

Also, jacking up the presence isn't going to help much with the bees. Balancing the treble and presence controls will help you there, too.

This is what the manual should say :thu:

i'm looking for one but there's no good deals in my town :cry:

• Members

If you can't appreciate my sarcasm, our gay marriage has no future.

:cry:

If you were being sarcastic I didn't know. I know the other guy was being serious.

I mean if you guys can't understand why someone would compare the amp and post their experience then I don't know...

If i see someone with the same amp I have I'll post what I think about it. And sometimes what I think about it might have something to do with another amp.

To me, that's how conversation works. If we was in person talking about amps one thing would lead to another and other amps would be brought up. But for some reason on here some people think that can't be done.

If you mentioned an amp to someone in person and you were talking about it no one would talk about another amp that was like it or talk about how it compared to something else they've had?

It's like I said... when I posted about my new mesa people talked about how it stacked against other amps and I liked that conversation. Discovered some new amps even.

• Members

It just kind of seems like you were jumping into his NAD thread to bash his amp.

I know you're a good dude, but the LAST thing that somebody wants to hear when they get a killer new toy is "that one sucks...you should have gotten this one instead."

I know you're trying to help out, but it's kind of coming off like Debbie Downer.

• Members

It just kind of seems like you were jumping into his NAD thread to bash his amp.

I know you're a good dude, but the LAST thing that somebody wants to hear when they get a killer new toy is "that one sucks...you should have gotten this one instead."

I know you're trying to help out, but it's kind of coming off like Debbie Downer.

No, I was saying it's a good amp. But compared to the 6505 it's not as good. Atleast to me. He might want to try one out. He might not. Just posting what I think about it.

If I posted about my new amp I wouldn't mind if you posted what you thought about it. If I disagreed with you then I'd just disagree.

He was talking about the gain, which is what made me really think about the 6505. It doesn't have as much gain as the 6505. Which might be important to him.

• Members

Thanks for your suggestions! I already post on boogie board so I'm also reading some stuff over there. I'll throw my MXR 10-band in the loop and throw my OCD infront of it when I get home and see what kind of results I get. Ya and I also figured I would have to open this beast up to get the good tones, I'm going to really crank it tonight.

• Members

From my experience, I wouldn't waste too much time worrying about how it sounds when it's quiet.

Rectos sound a LOT different when their power sections get moving...trying to dial them in at low volumes isn't really a good way to hear your Recto how it was meant to be played.

Archived