Recto 2:100 or Randall RT 2/50 poweramp?

petejt

• Members

I need a stereo poweramp to handle the wet side (effects) of my guitar rig.

Preamp signal will come from my MarkIV (satellite send), so the MarkIV does the dry signal.

I don't exactly need 100 watts per side, but that headroom would be nice.

And I don't exactly need solid-state rectification anyway.

What's important is a stereo poweramp, where one side has 6L6 valves and the other side as EL34 valves. I think both choices do that, don't they?

Bear in mind too that I tested the Recto poweramp sound by running my MarkIV's preamp signal to a Rev. F Dual Rectifier in Orange mode, and it was bliss! :love: Just the right amount of bloom to make the notes swell! Even in spongey & valve rectifier modes!

But I have to watch my wallet, and new Recto poweramps are hard to come by. I can't afford to fork out $3000 or so for a new one.

So which would be a better choice? The Recto 2:100 or Randall 2/50?

• Members

Mine is ok. Its pretty solid sounding, takes a fair bit of abuse and has some nice features.

It doesnt really have its own "tone" though. Ie you know how a mesa sounds different from a VHT, the rt2/50 is sorta generic.

edit: you are an aussie arent you? i think its lik 2k for a new randall, you can get a VHT for like $2150 (the 50 50, not the 90)

• Members

Mine is ok. Its pretty solid sounding, takes a fair bit of abuse and has some nice features.

It doesnt really have its own "tone" though. Ie you know how a mesa sounds different from a VHT, the rt2/50 is sorta generic.

edit: you are an aussie arent you? i think its lik 2k for a new randall, you can get a VHT for like $2150 (the 50 50, not the 90)

I like the VHT 2/50/2 best of all the poweramps I've tried, many of my friends agree. 2:95 Simulclass is a good poweramp but hard to find, unreliable, ungodly heavy, and not as defined as the VHT.

2:95 fanatics are hard to convince of this however :)

• Members

Yup. :)

I'm hoping to spend less than $2,000. I know that's not possible for a new amp in Oz :( .

• Members

Just a note about the Recto 2:100- can I hook up to send 16 ohms per side?

The cab that I am using, is a modified 'stereo' guitar cabinet, that takes 16 ohms per side (not 8 ohms per side like a lot of guitar cabs).

• Members

Have sold a bunch to a ton of major touring acts. The ability to, on the stage, do your tube change and bias, if it goes down and to be able to load each side with different tubes that can switch via midi, makes it a players dream. Neutral would be a good discription of it. It was designed to work with the modular system which as you know has a bunch of different pre amp sounds. So a Twin with a excessively voice Marshall power amp won't sound very good to some. Get the point, with multiple pre amps (modular) neutral is good. Now I personally think is blows the 2/50/2 and 2/90/2 when loaded with 6550's on one side and 34's on the other.

Linkin Park, Offspring, Kings X, Disturbed, Chris Cornell, the list goes on.

• Members

Have sold a bunch to a ton of major touring acts. The ability to, on the stage, do your tube change and bias, if it goes down and to be able to load each side with different tubes that can switch via midi, makes it a players dream. Neutral would be a good discription of it. It was designed to work with the modular system which as you know has a bunch of different pre amp sounds. So a Twin with a excessively voice Marshall power amp won't sound very good to some. Get the point, with multiple pre amps (modular) neutral is good. Now I personally think is blows the 2/50/2 and 2/90/2 when loaded with 6550's on one side and 34's on the other.

Linkin Park, Offspring, Kings X, Disturbed, Chris Cornell, the list goes on.

Thanks for that :) .

Archived