OT: dudes in bands that actually play out, have a banner?

JnBroadbent

• Members

we've got a 6x3 one that looks great, just small...I got a really good deal on it, though, so I'm not complaining (like 20 bucks for ours, full color). I'd like to have a bigger one.

Those of you who have big banners, post up links if you have them to the companies that made them. If the price is right, I'd think a few of us may be interested.

• Members

I've always thought that banners are really cheesy. Just sound and perform great....people will remember your band.

Ours is nothing grossly overbearing or something. Just to have the band name up there, along with the lights. That way nobody has to ask who you are.

• Members

I've always thought that banners are really cheesy. Just sound and perform great....people will remember your band.

The less cheesy the band's logo is, the less cheesy the band's backdrop will be.

Also, IMO backdrops should be like tattoos: get it big or don't get one at all.

• Members

Watching a band put up their banner while setting up is total {censored}ing FAIL.

Seeing guys whip out duct tape and trying to tape it to drywall, seeing it fall off halfway into their set, watching the drummer try to fix it, guitarist telling the drummer just to forget it, drummer complaining it was expensive, watching an argument on stage...

Shut the {censored} up, plug in, and play.

• Members

Watching a band put up their banner while setting up is total {censored}ing FAIL.

Seeing guys whip out duct tape and trying to tape it to drywall, seeing it fall off halfway into their set, watching the drummer try to fix it, guitarist telling the drummer just to forget it, drummer complaining it was expensive, watching an argument on stage...

Shut the {censored} up, plug in, and play.

Haha, I've seen this too many time as well, lol!

Usually what we've done is set it up EARLY as soon as possible. We get with the other bands to see if they have a banner, and then ask them to set theirs up at the same time, and we just backline them. Pretty easy. And, if necessary, we can cover it with black fabric and just pull it down before we play. Once we're done, a few snips with wire cutters and ours comes down.

• Members

I dont see how mother {censored}ers can bash on a band for having a {censored}ing banner:confused: My band doesnt have one, but it wouldnt be a bad idea. Another thing I need to do is make buiseness cards with contact info and myspace info. If somebody is looking for a band and has your card in their wallet, much better chance of you getting a call than if they didnt have it:thu:

• Members
I dont see how mother {censored}ers can bash on a band for having a {censored}ing banner:confused: My band doesnt have one, but it wouldnt be a bad idea. Another thing I need to do is make buiseness cards with contact info and myspace info. If somebody is looking for a band and has your card in their wallet, much better chance of you getting a call than if they didnt have it:thu:

I'm guessing from a lot of people's responses they do some shared billing? In that case I can see it being a PITA, but we don't do those, and have everything set up hours before anyone shows up to the event. And staple-guns are your friend, in a time of need. :thu:

• Members
I'm guessing from a lot of people's responses they do some shared billing? In that case I can see it being a PITA, but we don't do those, and have everything set up hours before anyone shows up to the event. And staple-guns are your friend, in a time of need.
:thu:

I guess if we got one, for places we play regularly, we could talk them into getting some kind of bulletin board or something to make hanging banners easy. Bands that come from out of town that play where we play usually have them.

• Members

I guess if we got one, for places we play regularly, we could talk them into getting some kind of bulletin board or something to make hanging banners easy. Bands that come from out of town that play where we play usually have them.

True. Trying to get that into the walls of some venues is a huge pain, which is why we now just staple it in. We had these big push-pin things that wouldnt' work for {censored}. It's pretty common, I'd think more places would be accommodating for that sorta thing.

• Members

Banners help!

First, it helps make the band look more professional.

Second, creates name recognition.

Third, it will help with future bookings.

Been in several bands in my life - it was always funny how our bookings would ALWAYS go up after purchasing and playing with the banner in the backdrop. It's not magic or anything but it does seem to help.

• Members

Most times, its enough of a pain in the ass for a club owner to provide you with ample electricity.

I've never seen a banner that hasn't looked out of place.

• Members

It really depends on what style of music you play/your scene, and what your band logo(s) are like.

If you're in a cover band, and your logo has a lot of colors and gradients, I'd get it done professionally for sure.

If you're in an original band and its a lot of solid single colors, DIY is a good and cheap solution.

• Members

Most times, its enough of a pain in the ass for a club owner to provide you with ample electricity.

I've never seen a banner that hasn't looked out of place.

We dont play at glamorous locations, but the places we do play at seem to be doing pretty good financially. When the places get packed out on Friday or Saturday nights and you see all those drunk mofoes, you know the bar made some good money that night!

Archived